This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Occupy Wall Street

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Say what you will about Ron Paul, yes... he's bat-shit crazy, but that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING he says is bat-shit crazy. On many of the civil libertarian issues (legalizing marijuana, the war on terror, the Patriot Act, the use of torture) I agree with Ron Paul quite a bit.
    Hey, so do I. A bunch of the things he says, for whatever reason, are perfectly reasonable ideas. It's all the crazy, religious, Racist or vastly insane stuff that I don't agree with, which are unfortunately the vast majority of his positions.

I mean, Leagalizing drugs? Cool, man, whatever. Doing it without any sort of regulation? Not so much. Wanting to rid the US of national debt, and wanting to do it ASAP? Yeah, alright, not a bad goal. Wanting to do it by getting rid of most taxes, ending the federal reserve, rampant gold-buggery and going back to the gold standard for the US? Yeah, I'm afraid you can't legislate the impossible.
    Wanting to do something about illegal immigration, okay, not so bad of an idea, wanting to do it by fencing off mexico, and using the entire US army to fortify every US borders? Maybe not the best idea. So, You disagree with foreign wars? Alright, no worries man, everybody loves peace. Doing it by withdrawing every single US soldier from everywhere, withdrawing from every international organization(UN, NATO, International criminal court, everything), treaty, trade agreement, giving out any sort of aid to other countries, denying genocides so you're not compelled to do anything, and entirely closing one's borders? Yeah, Fucking no.

Oh, and don't belive his carry-on about big government. He just wants to remove all restrictions on state governments to essentially give them infinite power within their state borders, and removing any ability to fight back against them.

Basically, Yeah, Ron Paul wants to end the war on drugs, the war in the middle east, and a few other pretty okay things. But he wants to do it by turning the US into a version of North Korea that Kim Jong would call fucking mental, under the rule of Ron Paul.

Oh, and the best bit? He claims that by doing all this, he's following the constitution in the strictest manner possible.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yea, if you work on the stuff you do agree on, at least something will be done, instead of endless fighting without any beneficial results.
    Exactly. Even if both groups disagree on what government should do, there's enough commonality on what government shouldn't do that could be addressed and fixed.

• Is the change both groups are seeking that different or is it simply the means which both groups desire to use to reach the goal where the disagreement exists?
    I think there are two types of change that's wanted. Both groups agree on what's wrong with government (to some degree). They disagree on what government should be doing instead. Why can't they come together to change the wrong parts, and address the alternatives at a later point? Change doesn't have to be large and drastic; It small and incremental.

• Both groups agree on what's wrong with government (to some degree). They disagree on what government should be doing instead. Why can't they come together to change the wrong parts, and address the alternatives at a later point? Change doesn't have to be large and drastic; It small and incremental.
    Um, they actually have incredibly conflicting goals and in the places where they do agree (i.e. balancing the budget) they want to go about it in completely opposite ways: the Tea Party wants to decrease taxes to almost nothing, decrease governmental regulation of private business, and demolish social programs and services; whereas the 99%ers want to increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans/close tax loopholes, increase governmental regulation of private businesses, and strengthen social programs and services.

• Kate Monster is right on this one. They barely agree on the "problem" let alone the solution. There's almost no overlap in the two movements beyond the most superficial and pointless of comparisons.
  • edited November 2011
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7R6Ob_p9rrs/TqrqVj40NuI/AAAAAAAAAdo/0TqRaS7LGJU/s400/OWS-Tea+Party+Venn+Diagram.jpg

Obviously they don't agree on other issues, but there seems to be an area, where they could agree.

I actively talk to people in the Tea Party movement as well as conservatives in general, they tend to think along these lines too. Somewhere between the corporations and government influencing each other too much is a nice area, where we can find some common ground and fix things.

Funny enough over Thanksgiving I interacted with some tea party conservatives who were pretty much depressed and just didn't want Mitt Romney. Republican primary time is the best time to talk politics with conservatives you can discuss the primary without getting too heated ^_^
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • ... the Tea Party wants to decrease taxes to almost nothing, decrease governmental regulation of private business, and demolish social programs and services...
    Sooooo... they are libertarians?

• Sooooo... they are libertarians?
    No, because tea partiers (lowercase) want to rewrite government in the image of Protestant fundamentalism.
  • So a brief search of anywhere on the internet will reveal that there is a multi-city crackdown on the occupy protesters' encampments. This may be the beginning of the end, sadly.
    No, because tea partiers (lowercase) want to rewrite government in the image of Protestant fundamentalism.
    Still, I've found a lot of people calling themselves Libertarians actually want that as well. They got jacked by religious fundies a while ago.
    Still, I've found a lot of people calling themselves Libertarians actually want that as well. They got jacked by religious fundies a while ago.
    If the government has no funding and no enforcement ability, then it really doesn't matter what structure it's give, does it?

• ... the Tea Party wants to decrease taxes to almost nothing, decrease governmental regulation of private business, and demolish social programs and services...
    Sooooo... they are libertarians?
    Nope, not at all. That is only one aspect of their platform. They want government to exist in the form of a strong and active military (that they don't want to fund), laws based solely on the constitution, "defense of marriage" laws, laws that put "God in government" (though how that would be constitutionally valid, I don't know), etc.

• Who tainted my tea with god?
    I believe it's who tainted my fiscal conservatives with god.
    Except that they aren't fiscally conservative.

Except that they aren't fiscally conservative.
    I think that describing those people as "God's taint" is pretty accurate.

• I hope this is some bullshit, because if it's not, I'm worried.

• It's definitely fake and most likely against youtube's terms of service.
  • It's fake because DoHS have no uniforms.
  • It's probably fake. Everybody jaywalks on occasion.
  • What the actual fuck. That story makes me so mad.
  • edited December 2011
    My name is Patrick Meighan, and I’m a husband, a father, a writer on the Fox animated sitcom “Family Guy”, and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica.
    Holy crap, I know this guy.

Post edited by Karlito on
  • edited December 2011
    An account of being beaten, arrested, and jailed for 25 hours by a writer for Family Guy while he was at OLA.
    Is there any documentation to back this up? Since he did already admit to the crime of writing for family guy
    Post edited by highdefinition on
  • edited December 2011
    An account of being beaten, arrested, and jailed for 25 hours by a writer for Family Guy while he was at OLA.
    Is there any documentation to back this up? Since he did already admit to the crime of writing for family guy
    The only evidence I can find is several reliable news sites reporting on the blog entry, and there are photos that exist of him at the event. Also, LAPD's disgusting behavior is corroborated on other websites. It's not strong evidence that he's being truthful, but there really isn't any reason to disbelieve him.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • If anyone is reporting on the blog and they don't have pictures of the arrest, papers from the arrests or at the very least a non-biased eye witness then it is questionable at best. Add that to the manner in which the post is written I don't put much chance of it being real. Someone did just post that youtube video of the guy faking retaliation against his family, this kind of thing has been pretty common out of OWS.
  • Additional lack of evidence is being blamed on media lockouts and LAPD roughing up people with recording equipment, although one would think that some camera phone would have a photo or two or a video or something.
  • Additional lack of evidence is being blamed on media lockouts and LAPD roughing up people with recording equipment, although one would think that some camera phone would have a photo or two or a video or something.
    A camera man being shot with a rubber bullet for simply filming Oakland Police.(I can't imagine the LAPD treats their media any better)

Just think of the areas these are taking place in, Im sure at least one person is filming from a rooftop or office window. Since none of these are surfacing I remain a skeptic.