This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beautification: Products. Recommendations. Comments. Questions.

Comments

• Ugh, I found out that to sell in any cosmetic in China, it is forced by law to be animal tested by 3rd party labs there, even if it doesn't need it. Yuck.
  • I just switched to a Degree deodorant (yes and antiperspirant, whatever haters) and it's amazingly better than my previous one. I might have to switch again in another 2 years when my underarm fauna adapt to it like they do for everything, but for now it's the best thing!
  • i can't wear skin makeup. it feels like epic makeup time.
    Sleep, nutrition, and good hygeine resolve an awful lot of issues that people use makeup for, and the ones they don't resolve are usually superficial concerns anyway.

• Ugh, I found out that to sell in any cosmetic in China, it is forced by law to be animal tested by 3rd party labs there, even if it doesn't need it. Yuck.
    So ethical companies won't sell their cosmetics in China. Done. Time to start boycotting.

Sleep, nutrition, and good hygeine resolve an awful lot of issues that people use makeup for, and the ones they don't resolve are usually superficial concerns anyway.
    My reason for wearing makeup is 100% superficial. I don't have any "concerns" that I need to hide. I like to use it to accent my features. That's a perfectly valid reason to wear makeup. (Not that you are saying this, but a lot of people have the knee-jerk "But you don't NEED to wear makeup" reaction when women start talking about makeup, so I just wanted to put it out there.)

• Yeah, I am mad because I was like "Yay Urban Decay," but I just read an article that said they decided to sell in China 2 months ago. I mean, I still think they are a decent, fairly progressive company compared to most, but boo on them. The hell is wrong with China, though? That kind of blanket law just causes millions of dead animals with relatively little gain. Also, what the heck are they worried about with cosmetics from the U.K? If it is good enough for the E.U. standards, it should pass Chinese ones by a long shot.
  • edited August 2012
    My reason for wearing makeup is 100% superficial. I don't have any "concerns" that I need to hide. I like to use it to accent my features. That's a perfectly valid reason to wear makeup. (Not that you are saying this, but a lot of people have the knee-jerk "But you don't NEED to wear makeup" reaction when women start talking about makeup, so I just wanted to put it out there.)

Yeah, that's the fashion kind, to make yourself shiny and colorful! I think plenty of people are not self conscious about their looks and don't feel they need to wear makeup, but play with it because it looks striking. They wear it for the same reason they would wear a shiny dress.
    Post edited by gomidog on
    Your complexion is very nice. How does it feel like epic makeup time?

I tend to not put on a lot of makeup, just a bit of concealer, foundation powders, and bronzer to even up my splotchy skin tone.

I seldom wear eye shadow even though I have tons of it.

When it comes to putting on eye shadow, I tend to put barely any compared to all those video tutorials they have online. Even the ones that say "neutral/natural" look, they put on a crap ton.

I don't use eyeliner and I only put mascara on my top lashes.

Big Fatty from Urban Decay is so nice to have your lashes really stick out, but Lush Lash is for a nice everyday look.

I've got no problem with anybody who enjoys wearing makeup. I just hate for younger girls/women to feel like it's an arms race.
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah, I am mad because I was like "Yay Urban Decay," but I just read an article that said they decided to sell in China 2 months ago. I mean, I still think they are a decent, fairly progressive company compared to most, but boo on them. The hell is wrong with China, though? That kind of blanket law just causes millions of dead animals with relatively little gain. Also, what the heck are they worried about with cosmetics from the U.K? If it is good enough for the E.U. standards, it should pass Chinese ones by a long shot.
    Chinese do not consider animals sentient or important. They are subservient to humans, period. It's cultural.

Your restaurant placemat notwithstanding.
    Post edited by muppet on
    Your complexion is very nice. How does it feel like epic makeup time?
    "frosting. more frosting. SO MUCH FROSTING!"
  • Heh. You probably don't need anything cream or liquid based. I bet a nice foundation powder would work if you were interested.

• I've got no problem with anybody who enjoys wearing makeup. I just hate for younger girls/women to feel like it's an arms race.
    LOL, that reminds me of high school (before I went to my awesome high school). Some of those girls looked utterly ridiculous. Of course, if you are going to experiment and see what works and what doesn't with makeup, high school is a good time because kids are allowed to look silly. Not so much once you get out into the professional world.

• Heh. You probably don't need anything cream or liquid based. I bet a nice foundation powder would work if you were interested.
    Just a light mineral powder, or nothing at all. Creams and liquids are anathema! (Well to me anyway. They tend to make my skin burn. Even the high quality stuff.)

• I've got no problem with anybody who enjoys wearing makeup. I just hate for younger girls/women to feel like it's an arms race.
    LOL, that reminds me of high school (before I went to my awesome high school). Some of those girls looked utterly ridiculous. Of course, if you are going to experiment and see what works and what doesn't with makeup, high school is a good time because kids are allowed to look silly. Not so much once you get out into the professional world.

Eh, I don't mean competitive peacocking so much as I mean "I need makeup or else I'm ugly" type thinking. My daughter tried makeup for about 3 months during the last school year and seems to have abandoned it, which suits me fine. I'd hate for her to be obsessing over techniques and colors and types and so on as a means of being "adequate" rather than as a hobby or whatever you want to call it. :-)
    Yeah, eventually I decided I was too lazy d:
  • edited August 2012
    Heh. You probably don't need anything cream or liquid based. I bet a nice foundation powder would work if you were interested.
    Just a light mineral powder, or nothing at all. Creams and liquids are anathema! (Well to me anyway. They tend to make my skin burn. Even the high quality stuff.)
    Yes, mineral powders are great.

For cream and liquid, I use a cream concealer. It goes on well and covers those bad blemishes.

Recently, I've been over analyzing the dark circles under my eyes. It's also why I tend to never put mascara on my lower lids because I'm afraid it will make me look like a raccoon.

I'm trying the Clinique Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector treatment to see if it works. I also recently got Bare Essentials Stroke of Light Eye Brightener liquid concealer. I definitely notice a difference.

It's just one of those things that I really have a fixation with that I can't get over.
    Yeah, eventually I decided I was too lazy d:
    Indeed. There are many times where I am too lazy to do anything and don't care when I go out.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I just switched to a Degree deodorant (yes and antiperspirant, whatever haters) and it's amazingly better than my previous one. I might have to switch again in another 2 years when my underarm fauna adapt to it like they do for everything, but for now it's the best thing!
    My wife switched to Degree Clinical Protection, the more expensive version, and now refuses to buy anything else. From what I understand, it's like nuking BO from orbit.

• I use Tarte's concealer stick under my eyes, on my nose and cheeks and no foundation. It's really fast and takes no time. Add some eyeliner and a little lipstick and I'm all done. I think this look can work out for you, Chie.

I recently found out that I can use concealer as a primer for eyeshadow. So if you want to experiment with eye shadow, very little shows up brighter on concealer.
  • Omagerds a conversation about makeup happened and I didn't notice!

I use Urban Decay tinted moisturizer in place of foundation and stuff. The tinted moisturizer is awesome because it goes on very light (honestly can't tell its on, except skin looks more even), moisturizes my face, and is spf 20.

As far as the general opinion of women not needing making and being whores for it and whatnot... whatever. Don't underestimate the power of a woman feeling good about herself because she looks pretty. Makeup done right will brighten up and accent the face instead of looking whorish, and you likely won't even notice (without trying) that they're wearing makeup. Which is unfortunately what many girls/women can't grasp and look bad and give us responsible makeup users a bad name. Also the opinion that intelligent/geeky women shouldn't be wearing makeup is very annoying to me.
  • Omagerds a conversation about makeup happened and I didn't notice!

I use Urban Decay tinted moisturizer in place of foundation and stuff. The tinted moisturizer is awesome because it goes on very light (honestly can't tell its on, except skin looks more even), moisturizes my face, and is spf 20.

As far as the general opinion of women not needing making and being whores for it and whatnot... whatever. Don't underestimate the power of a woman feeling good about herself because she looks pretty. Makeup done right will brighten up and accent the face instead of looking whorish, and you likely won't even notice (without trying) that they're wearing makeup. Which is unfortunately what many girls/women can't grasp and look bad and give us responsible makeup users a bad name. Also the opinion that intelligent/geeky women shouldn't be wearing makeup is very annoying to me.
    Well, for one, I didn't say any of those things so I hope you're not addressing me. :-)

I think that there's a bit of a stigma on makeup in the geek community because of the superficiality of it. I'm a bit on the fence. I don't think you're a whore if you've got makeup on but I do think it's sad that people's security and self esteem can depend upon it.

• edited August 2012
    Yeah, Tinted Moisturizer and BBCream are basically the best because they have sunblock, are not super noticeable and are decent for your skin. I wear Missha BBCream and Urban Decay Face Powder occasionally, and other times I wear zero makeup.

As for the backlash against makeup, it is kind of a complicated issue in regards to feminism. I think part of the reason people get anti-makeup is because they feel like girls are pressured too strongly by society to present themselves as attractive sex partners, and that women's worth is tied too strongly to her appearance as opposed to other qualities. (The anti-makeup people often make the point of "I want to be judged more by my brain than by my face!") While men are also judged on the basis of their attractiveness, and attractive people tend to be valued highly in society across the board (which is why we feel good when we look fancy), there is a definite disparity in the way men and women are treated in terms of the emphasis put on their body image. The use of makeup is still a very feminine arena, and things related to femininity (by which I mean the artificial, culturally instilled behaviors that women learn as they grow up) often serve to re-enforce this peer pressure and support these traditional gender disparities.

I was just having a discussion with my friend a while ago about how it is difficult reconcile enjoyment of things connected to traditional femininity (my personal weakness is cute Japanese fashion, like cute mini skirts and fuwafuwa high socks) and not feel you are contributing to this peer pressure and propping up old gender roles. Upon thinking about it, I have decided that I cannot be stressed about it all the time, and not everyone can be the perfect revolutionary every second. I think that it is important that everyone try to do the best they can to make the society they hope for by spreading their ideas to other people, and if they do indulge in traditional things, that they just are pragmatic and realistic about them. I do things sometimes that are not 100% feminist ideal, but I try to work for a better world.

I think makeup will be free of this cultural stigma once men and women are evaluated equally based on their attractiveness, and it is just as acceptable/desirable for everyday men to wear fancy eye shadow as it is for women. I think once that happens, makeup is not a symbol of femininity but just of shiny fun face paint that makes people colorful!
    Post edited by gomidog on

• Well, for one, I didn't say any of those things so I hope you're not addressing me. :-)
    Nah, you're cool. We just like to make general statements about issues that are near and dear to us all up ins.

• Bumble and Bumble Sumotech is the best hair product I've ever used. Keeps my hair in a perfect 50s Wall Street wave-and-part all day, and stays workable all day long for on-the-fly styling. I love this shit.
  • edited October 2013
    While watching some hand egg, I saw a commercial that got my attention. It was a commercial for shaving (which I do on occasion), and the pitch was definitely aimed towards the sports watching types. The commercial led to a website called Dollar shave club I looked at their deals, and I must say, that if the quality of the razors stands up to my current brand, then it is a really good deal. I took the $6/month deal for the 4 bladed razors, and for my first go around, I picked up the shave butter and the wipes. image This is the package I got in the mail today (Wednesday) (after placing the order over the weekend).

I will try to remember to post a review of the blades after trying them tomorrow or Friday. Also, if anyone is interested in trying them out, use this link as I can earn credits toward more razors!
    Post edited by Neocloud on
  • There's actually another one called Oz Shave Club, who came up about 12-18 months later, with shitty razors, tried to copy the dollar shave club ad/marketing(except the dollar part because shit's expensive for what you get), and then accused Dollar Shave Club of ripping off their idea.
  • Rym! My deodorant is about to run out! Tell us about this new magical deodorant you've found!
  • I've been planning on trying out Dollar Shave Club once my current Costco-sized package of razors runs out. If the review is positive, I'll definitely use your referral link when that day comes.
  • edited October 2013
    Dollar shave club (Fixed Link)
    I will try to remember to post a review of the blades after trying them tomorrow or Friday. Also, if anyone is interested in trying them out, use this link as I can earn credits toward more razors!
    Yeah, we saw a commerical during a game of hand egg. Pretty amusing advertising, imo.

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • So, I tried out the razor and the shave butter today. The butter was nice, as it was more or less transparent, and made it easier to see where to shave. The blade performed as well, if not better than my mach 3 razor, which considering the price difference, makes it worth it. I will have to see how the blade does after a couple more shaves, and see how long the butter lasts. The shave butter is an add-on, and if it lasts a couple of months, I will probably order again, but if not, then I will return to cream, or find another alternative.