This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Edward Snowden

123457»

Comments

• I said he should be pardoned from the beginning. I'm sure there is proof of that in some GeekNights episode. I don't even understand why he needs to ask for this. Obama should have just done it on his own right from the start.
  • Apreche said:

I said he should be pardoned from the beginning. I'm sure there is proof of that in some GeekNights episode. I don't even understand why he needs to ask for this. Obama should have just done it on his own right from the start.

If you can't figure out the political issue here. You haven't thought about the issue enough.
  • It always kinda seemed to me like a similar situation to someone breaking someone's security and stealing a bunch of passwords, then telling the company about it and wanting a job. Well... you broke the law, so rewarding you with a paid position seems like a weird outcome.
  • Cremlian said:

Apreche said:

I said he should be pardoned from the beginning. I'm sure there is proof of that in some GeekNights episode. I don't even understand why he needs to ask for this. Obama should have just done it on his own right from the start.

If you can't figure out the political issue here. You haven't thought about the issue enough.
    Snowden can't be pardoned in the current political climate, and I doubt Hillary would be able to either. Maybe the president in 2026 will be able to. Maybe.
  • edited September 2016
    Can you pardon someone who has only been convicted but not stood trial? Either way, seems like he would have to come home and be tried and actually found guilty first, for the current administration to potentially lift a finger in that direction, and that's not gonna happen any time soon even if he left for US shores tomorrow. Even if he were to immediately plead guilty to all charges, the prosecution could probably find ways to keep him in limbo for months.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Nixon was pardoned before a trial had started.