This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

Comments

• I kinda can't wait to see how they justify how Bernie should have won South Carolina next week.
  • I wouldn't call them conspiracy theories. If Hillary can coordinate that level of hidden tampering, we will have the smoothest running government under her. It's incompetence, pure and simple.

A friend who lives in Nevada said he witnessed people being allowed to caucus without registration. Also says he saw abusive staff yelling at Bernie supporters. His first hand accounts coupled with all the shady video coming up sets off my spider sense. The caucus states are 1.5/2 (pending Nevada republican caucuses) in terms of massive fuck ups.

Caucuses, as an electoral method, are far too easy to cock up. They should be eliminated.

In much less crackpot news, turns out the black vote was essentially Hillarys winning margin in Nevada. Now, polling suggests the Bernie message is getting out to the black voters but it probably won't be at a speed to impact South Carolina. As a Bernie supporter I know the loss there is coming, I'm just seeing how close it is and how the minority votes shake out.
  • edited February 2016
    Dromaro said:

A friend who lives in Nevada said he witnessed people being allowed to caucus without registration. Also says he saw abusive staff yelling at Bernie supporters. His first hand accounts coupled with all the shady video coming up sets off my spider sense. The caucus states are 1.5/2 (pending Nevada republican caucuses) in terms of massive fuck ups.

I'll admit, I'd be a little more suspicious if every perceived slight against Bernie, blow to his chances of winning, or thing that people don't understand wasn't seen as some sort of grand conspiracy. I have never seen something that generated so many conspiracy theories this quickly, not even 9/11 or the JFK assassination.

Like the story goes, you cry wolf enough, people aren't going to take you seriously when there's a real wolf having a go at your flock.
    Dromaro said:

In much less crackpot news, turns out the black vote was essentially Hillarys winning margin in Nevada. Now, polling suggests the Bernie message is getting out to the black voters but it probably won't be at a speed to impact South Carolina. As a Bernie supporter I know the loss there is coming, I'm just seeing how close it is and how the minority votes shake out.

I'm not surprised. The black community was generally on the fence about him to begin with - Yet another old white guy saying their problems are not what they think they are, but are problems of class and economic inequality, and promising he knows better and will solve everything, they've heard it all before and didn't seem to be buying it.

To his credit, he sat down and listened, and changed his mind as well as taking his platform in a different direction on that issue - but that was drowned out to the ears of black voters by his supporters going apeshit attacking the Black Lives matter movement after the two women interrupted him on stage. Now it looks like he's desperate and trying to play catch-up, and is using Killer Mike as a cheap ploy - Look, it's okay to like me, this other black guy likes me, as if that's not a song the black community has heard a million times before.

He struggles to deal with them, because they're a fundamentally more cynical electorate. Sure, he's promising them a fair shake - but he's not the first old white guy to promise them a fair shake, and then fail to follow through.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't disagree. My thought has always been people are nuts and will complain about things not going their way at the drop of a hat. Those assumptions in place, I don't have an opinion unless I have some evidence. With the videos coming out of the Nevada caucuses, it makes me more likely to believe wolf cries in this case.

tl;dr People bitch too much and damage their own credibility.
  • Ugh, still torn whether to convince people I know who support Trump that Trump is a Douche-bag or encourage them so the Republican party is dooooomed. It's such a hard decision.
  • I hear you. Things are really complicated here because we might actually be worse off with a Ted Cruz nominee.
  • Cremlian said:

Ugh, still torn whether to convince people I know who support Trump that Trump is a Douche-bag or encourage them so the Republican party is dooooomed. It's such a hard decision.

I would say Trump has a realistic shot at becoming president. Direct them to Cruz, he's equally as bad for the GOP, and has no shot at winning the general election.
  • What makes you think Trump is more viable than Cruz?
  • I'm with Greg here. Perhaps this is just me being under-informed but from what I've sussed out Cruz is more "establishment" than Trump and probably has a better shot in a general election.

Why does one think this wrong?
  • edited February 2016
    I'm more concerned with Cruz, he's super religious, comes from a crazy religious family and actually got elected in a large state. He knows what he believes and it's pretty much all bad. (from a Liberal perceptive). Only advantage is he's kinda a Douche and people don't like him.

Trump, actually has a bunch of Liberal positions, not sure how much of a true believer he is with anything and is a GIANT blowhard and racist which half the republican party will have trouble voting for. He has no experience running anything government wise and probably will be out maneuvered by people who actually know what they are doing.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Setting aside policy for the moment, it would be nice to see a Sanders v Trump election just to see a Polish Jew beat the guy who Auschwitz survivor Eva Schloss said was acting like Hitler.
  • Learned a new word thanks to Fark,
    potatriots
    that is all.
  • Betfair apparently has 50/50 odds for a Trump nomination - his path looks pretty much like "keep it a 3+-way race as long as possible and start picking up winner-take-all states for a huge lead." Cruz actually has a much harder job because his support is concentrated in southern states with proportional delegate representation, so it's hard for him to build a lead.
  • edited February 2016
    Do you guys think Cruz's naturalized citizen status will play any sort of role in the election? As more GOP candidates drop out, I'm curious if it'll become a problem for his campaign or eligibility.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Is Trump going to lose next in Texas to Cruz, when is Rubio going to win?
  • VentureJ said:

Do you guys think Cruz's naturalized citizen status will play any sort of role in the election? As more GOP candidates drop out, I'm curious if it'll become a problem for his campaign or eligibility.

Cremlian said:

Is Trump going to lose next in Texas to Cruz, when is Rubio going to win?

I don't care, Fiorina all the way!
  • VentureJ said:

Cremlian said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/politics/carly-fiorina-drops-out-suspends-campaign/
  • muppet said:
    Do you really want to do this again?
  • muppet said:
    Well, I did bet a fiver on that you couldn't help yourself, though I had my doubts. Looks like I made an easy five, so thanks I suppose.
  • I feel like this is one of those arguments where everyone is saying the same point but still continuing to argue. Aren't we all in agreement that someone would say something stupid?
  • Churba bet it would be Muppet.
  • I feel like this is one of those arguments where everyone is saying the same point but still continuing to argue. Aren't we all in agreement that someone would say something stupid?

That is nearly every FRC argument these days.
  • Seems like the media is finally accepting that Trump is likely to be the Republican nominee.
  • Would it be fair to say that the more moderate/mainstream republicans would go over to Clinton to avoid Trump or will they double down with the barmyness?
  • Possible, but I could see some just not voting or writing someone else in instead. That doesn't just apply to moderates; I know a Tea Partier who says he will not vote for Trump if he becomes the nominee.

It's not really an argument to anyone but Muppet, and he is not so welcome, since generally not the sort of place to put up with defending or trying to cover over bigots(The Bernie Bros issue), because they're Bernie sanders supporters.

Luke's close. Was chatting to a mate of mine who lurks the forum at the same time I made the comment. Laid a bet not that Muppet believes it necessarily - like, 99.99% chance he does, though we didn't put cash on it, we thought it was a sucker bet - but that if I mentioned it on the forum he wouldn't be able to help himself but make a narky comment to deny it ever happened, ever existed, or otherwise try to dismiss it. My mate thought he'd finally clued in that he wasn't welcome.
  • VentureJ said:

Cremlian said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/10/politics/carly-fiorina-drops-out-suspends-campaign/
    And?
  • edited February 2016

VentureJ said:

Cremlian said:

And?
    I mean, the write in box is there for a reason.

Write me in.

I promise nothing, but you can be assured I'll deliver.
    Post edited by Churba on