This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

edited October 2008

More: PI!
    Post edited by ... on
    Leaving the debate: Epic Fail
  • Old and busted: Lolcats
    New hotness: Upsidedown Dogs

• This is awesome :D
  • Yes! Matt and Ben strike again!
  • Damn I was just about to post that.
  • edited October 2008
    Today I posted here and I'm dead serious, yet everyone takes me as a troll. I might as well become a troll then.

But, seriously, that J-bass with the purple tortoise-shell pickguard is really ugly.

[Edit] They just closed it. I can't believe it. Thought-policing, anyone? This is why I stick to these forums.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Today I posted hereand I'm dead serious, yet everyone takes me as a troll. I might as well become a troll then.

But, seriously, that J-bass with the purple tortoise-shell pickguard is really ugly.

[Edit] They just closed it. I can't believe it. Thought-policing, anyone? This is why I stick to these forums.
    But people were actually agreeing with you. What the hell?
  • "Not only are ALL bass guitars extremely ugly, but ALL bass players themselves are even worse." I laughed.
  • edited October 2008
    But people were actually agreeing with you. What the hell?
    I know, right? I PMed the mod about it.
    I haven't read anything in the rules about thought-policing. I was dead serious when I said I didn't like the look of basses. Your rules state:

"Trolling is defined as making inflammatory posts simply to get people riled up, while lacking in substance pertaining to the thread topic. Moderator discretion applies."

I posted intelligently with correct grammar as well as substance. Maybe my post got some people riled up, but it hardly lacked substance. It seems pretty dumb to me that you close a thread based on something as highly subjective as looks.

I have no problem if you want to close threads that disagree with your outlook. It's your forum. But, please, change your rules if you're going to do that.

Thank you for your time,

Rob
    [Edit] He replied:
    My mistake,

I'm not closing it because of trolling. I should have been more clear in my PM. I'm closing it because "ugly basses" threads are strictly off topic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by john turner View Post
    from here on out there will be no more ugly bass threads tolerated in the bass forums, unless you are posting about your own instrument.

too many folks participate here with too diverse a set of instruments for these kinds of threads to end up doing anything but pissing people off.

interesting thing - the folks with experience, who gig and who are in general serious about bass usually don't waste their talkbass time posting about basses they don't own, talking about how they find someone else's instrument to be ugly . something to emulate, folks.

so if you want to talk about an ugly bass, make sure it's one of your own, or it will be deleted.

EDIT(jt) : the bongo addendum this goes for posts too. you wanna call a bass a toilet seat, that bass better have a handle or else you better own one.

if you have a negative opinion about an instrument, be sure to tie it to something beyond the subjective appearance - "the body was uncomfortable for me to play" or "the neck was too round for me, felt like a baseball bat".

otherwise, if you find something ugly, say so if such an opinion is asked for, otherwise keep it to yourself. this isn't rocket science, guys. respect other folks' instruments. endquote

I realize that it's not a sticky. I'll be making it a sticky right now.

Thanks,

Mark
    But this still doesn't quite follow because I stated how I wasn't too fond of the looks of my basses either. I replied by thanking him for clearing that up anyway.

If anyone's wondering what Bongos look like, they look like this:

They don't only look really dumb, but John Myung of Dream Theater has been playing one and I must say that it is probably the least metal-looking bass I've ever seen in my life. It does sound incredible, though.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2008
    "Contrary to the rumors you might have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the planet Earth." - Obama
    http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/10/66669/index.html
    Post edited by Kiey on

• A Brit skins a NBA star.

• The first episode of my friend Connor's series of Media Tech class Friday shows.
  • The first episode of my friend Connor's series of Media Tech class Friday shows.
    I need to listen to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea now.

• Best thing ever?
  • Best thing ever?
    I think I'll be on the next flight to Edinburgh.
  • edited October 2008
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The World's Greatest Magician!

• edited October 2008
    The World's Greatest Magician!
    QFT.

Part 2
    Part 3
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Those are both awesome.

Tobacco from the band Black Moth Super Rainbow recently released his first solo album and I just got done listening to it. So good. The video is NSFW.

• World's fastest Tetris player.
    Holy shit. I never get to say I'm good at Tetris ever again. That was unreal.
  • On the night of the big High-School Prom, the dead rise to eat the living, and the only people who can stop them are the losers who couldn't get dates to the dance.
    These zombies are created by a nuclear power plant. Yay for for cashing in on ignorants fear.
  • This should be Keith Olbermann's speech on how "divisive politics is anti-American." If not, you can find it in the Special Comment section on the left for October 20th. Yes, it is eight minutes long, and yes, it is worth your time.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#27287363

//Not sure if it was worth its own thread
  • This should be Keith Olbermann's speech on how "divisive politics is anti-American." If not, you can find it in the Special Comment section on the left for October 20th. Yes, it is eight minutes long, and yes, it is worth your time.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#27287363
    And I thought Jeremy Paxman was good at spinning words..
  • edited October 2008
    I found out today that my favorite Comic/manga/geeky stuff shop in Leeds sells The Burning Wheel.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Traveling man or Forbidden planet?
  • Traveling man, but they're out of stock at the moment - They tend to sell out rapidly.
  • edited October 2008
    My new shirt is pretty neat.

Post edited by Sail on