This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

Comments

• Me. And the Jasper cat!
  • I would like an invite too please!
  • It's still not clear to me exactly how invites worked . . . a couple people I know invited me, but I never received an invitation, just eventually saw the ability to log in once I went to Google+.
    From what I can tell, invitations work just like that.
    So then, if someone doesn't already have gmail there's not really a way to invite them at this point?
  • I think you get an e-mail when you're invited, though.
  • I think you get an e-mail when you're invited, though.
    Doesn't seem like it. A couple people invited me and I never got email. Also, when I invited people they didn't seem to get emails either.
  • I got email, at the time when I was unable to join and when registration opened up I got no notification.
  • I got email, at the time when I was unable to join and when registration opened up I got no notification.
    Come to think of it, I did get email when someone included me in a Google+ conversation, and there was a link in there to join Google+, but at the time they weren't accepting new people.

What did the invitation mail say?
  • edited July 2011
    Subject: XXX has invited you to join [him|her] on Google+
    Body:
    Learn more about Google+
    The Google+ project is currently working out all the kinks with a small group of testers. If you're not able to access Google+, please check back again soon.
    The email is an HTML version of the Google+ front page explanation, outside of the little comment above. There's an HTML button to take you to plus.google.com.

I have received one such invite to my Google email address and one such invite to a non-Google email address. They were identical.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • I would like an invite too please!
    Invite sent to your profile email addy.
    I'll take one if there are ones to take.
    email address?
  • edited July 2011
    Invite sent to your profile email addy.
    Got it thanks!! <3

I havent kept up with this thread, but is there a convient way all FRC people can add each other? Or do I have to find peoples names/emails and add them one at a time?
    Post edited by iruul on
  • edited July 2011
    So you need to exploit power law. Once you add one person who has the most FRC contacts, then Google+ will recommend pretty much all their contacts for you, thus giving you the highest number of FRC contacts with the fewest needed buddy adds.

But no, there's no good way to do it as far as I can tell. Even people who create FRCF circles or whatever can't (as far as I know) explicitly share that entire circle as "FRCF folk" with someone else. So you might have difficulty, in the power law example, knowing who is actually FRCF and who is not.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • I apologize to everyone who I know but do not recognize outside of the forum context. May the Force be with you.
  • I suppose we could just make an open google doc and have everyone add a link to their profile.
  • Or spam messages to your FRCF circle with everyone in your FRCF circle. Eventually everyone will be brought up to date.

It is not unlike many other P2P find-your-buddy algos.
  • I prefer the simple: "Use your avatar, known user-name as real name and be a notorious cunt"-method.
  • Air Co. that would be kind of annoying for my friends who aren't in the forum.

Also I don't do anything at work, so I decided to be no lazy and make such a google doc.

The only people in it right now are people who posted their profiles into this thread or were easily able to be linked to their forum name. Feel free to add yourself.
  • Just putting your username under "Other Names" and setting the visibility for that bit of your profile to "everyone" seems to work fine.

That said, me
  • Hmm, so there no way to make public circles that anyone can join? Seems like a needed feature imo.
  • edited July 2011
    Hmm, so there no way to make public circles that anyone can join? Seems like a needed feature imo.
    You're missing the point. These are YOUR circles. The way YOU group people you WANT to group. There is no sense whatsoever in using someone else's group with someone else's contacts instead of your contacts.

EDIT: Unlike Facebook you don't have to accept someone's request before they can follow you. You can choose to not add every single forumite to a group, just the ones you care to share with.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Hmm, so there no way to make public circles that anyone can join? Seems like a needed feature imo.
    That sorta defeats the purpose of circles.
  • edited July 2011
    Hmm, so there no way to make public circles that anyone can join? Seems like a needed feature imo.
    That sorta defeats the purpose of circles.
    Well, what I mean is something equivalent to facebook groups.

It would work nicely if there was a cricle for FRCF members to join and we can just add the whole circle.
    Post edited by iruul on
  • The problem that I face in social networking sites is that i only occasionally use them and half the time arn't even that social. Saying that it is handy for getting hold of people, might give google+ a try but I suffer from the problem of not knowing anyone who would know it (friends at home facebook, don't know many people online).
  • edited July 2011
    It would work nicely if there was a cricle for FRCF members to join and we can just add the whole circle.
    Fuck no. That would mean that if I joined that 'group' I would have you in my circles.
    so I decided to be no lazy and make such a google doc.
    Also, this should be an opt-in list dude. Those who posted their links here, sure. The people that were obvious shouldn't be added unless they do so themselves.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I just realized something.

In Twitter, posts are public and you choose whose posts you get and follow.
    In Facebook we are friends which means I follow you and you follow me.
    In Google+ I choose who can receive these posts.
  • I just realized something.

In Twitter, posts are public and you choose whose posts you get and follow.
    In Facebook we are friends which means I follow you and you follow me.
    In Google+ I choose who can receive these posts.
    True. Building circles in Google+ feels kinda like mailing list management.
  • True. Building circles in Google+ feels kinda like mailing list management.
    It is however, optional.
  • I feel sorta OCD about Circles. This might be bad. I think I'm trying to establish an ontology for all the contacts I could ever possibly have, with subset circles getting more and more specifically defined. I should probably go make a real friend or something.
  • Via GauntletWizard from his Google+ post:

Why Google+ is awesome for cartoonists, or how to post a graphic novel with one click.

That is so cool. Artists/creators need to get on this.
  • My current frustration with Google+ is the limit on sending messages to people. I sent a message to one person, then tried to send to another person right after, and got a message telling me that I'd already hit my quota of how many messages to send in a week (really, google+, just one/week?).

None of which is meant to suggest that I don't like Google+. I think it's a much better interface overall than FB. I just think there are a few things still to be worked out.