This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Maybe Terrapin's Hopcecutioner? I've not tried Dogfish Head's 120 since none of the liquor stores near me carry it. They might not get much play outside the south, but I'd say it's the second best IPA I've had (after DFH's 90). Sam Adam's 48 IPA was pretty good too. But like Wyatt said, hops are an acquired taste.
  • I cannot express in words how much I dislike any ale that Terrapin makes. I had a friend in Athens, GA get me to try them all one time I was up there and it was amazing how much I disliked them. I will say though they are very flavor rich for the people who do happen to like them, they have absolutely no subtlety to their flavor.

As for Sam Adam's 48 IPS it has to be the only Sam Adam's been I cannot at least stomach all the way through which was surprising for me after I drank their Double Bock, which while I cannot drink too often I can consume in about a similar fashion to candy corn with only so much until I have to leave it alone for a long while.

I guess I may not have that acquired taste possibly but I do know of several beers heavy in hops that I do like.

On a sidenote I am having issues finding Sam Adam's Boston Ale where I live. I can order it at Total Wine in Jacksonville, FL but I do not want to drive about an hour one way just to get some beer. It is kind of annoying since I do get an urge for that sometimes.
  • I guess I may not have that acquired taste possibly but I do know of several beers heavy in hops that I do like.
    Some examples (besides the 120) would be helpful. And where in Florida are you that you can't find Sam Adams' most basic beer?
  • edited June 2011
    I am in Brunswick, GA and it is about 70 miles from Jacksonville, FL. They have the variety packs around here a lot and Boston Lager but that is usually it.

As for examples I am having trouble thinking of good examples right now but I think one may be Pike Monk's Uncle Tripel Ale, although I could be confusing that one with another beer so I am not sure. I do not drink beers heavy in hops often so I have issues remembering their names.

Edit: After getting home I am now pretty sure that is not a hop heavy beer. As the only time I drink hop heavy beers is at bars I am having trouble finding some example since none of my bottle collection at home really has anything hop heavy. Usually I just go into a bar or restaurant with a lot of beers and ask for something I have never had. It usually does not turn out well but sometimes I find something neat, like Uerige Doppelsticke.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • What is it that you don't like about the IPA's that you're trying?

I can imagine disliking the majority of American-style IPA's. They're often hop-flavored water with nothing else to offer.

If you want to dig on the taste of hops, honestly, try Stone's Levitation Pale Ale. It's their least aggressive offering, and it's awesome with salt and vinegar chips or buffalo wings.

You could also try English bitters and the odd ESB. They're like a pale ale in principle, but the hops tend to be WAY less aggressive than American hops.
  • I think that may be my issue since all of the hop heavy beers I have liked just happened to be hop heavy to add to the flavor but not rely exclusively on hops for the flavor.

Someone else said I should try Stone's Levitation Pale Ale so I will probably give it a try. I have liked the ESB that I have tried so far, I think my favorite up to now may be Redhook ESB.

Thanks for the recommendations.
  • Fuller's ESB all the way. Trust me on this one. Ultra-traditional English ESB. Try to find it casked if at all possible.
  • As for Sam Adam's 48 IPS it has to be the only Sam Adam's been I cannot at least stomach all the way through which was surprising
    Sounds like you just don't like IPAs cause Sam's Latitude 48 is a fine example of the IPA style.
  • Fuller's ESB all the way.
    I will try to find that, thanks.
    Sounds like you just don't like IPAs cause Sam's Latitude 48 is a fine example of the IPA style.
    I am starting to think that may be my issue as from everything I have been told on here it looks like my liking the Dogfish IPA is a fluke and IPAs may just not be my thing.
  • Dogfish 120 IPA is not a normal IPA. They hopped it so much the hop flavor variable wrapped and it became not hoppy.
  • Oh, okay. I am glad my taste buds are not crazy I guess.

I appreciate all of the recommendations and help I have gotten.
  • Found a Dogfish Head 90 at Wegmans and picked it up on a friend's recommendation. My first thoughts on trying it went along the lines of "Jesus Christ, this is strong - probably equivalent to someone taking a bag of hops and hitting you in the face with it." That said, it was fucking delicious, and if it wasn't $11 for a four-pack I'd drink it regularly.
  • edited July 2011
    If you don't like the new American IPA style of "Hop the shit outta it, youse guys. Football hamburger." you should try BrewDog's Punk IPA. Its clean and refreshing with a note of grapefruit that resolves into a smooth hop bitter over a few seconds. It doesn't beat you around the head with the hops; they actually emerge far after the initial flavor. The brewery is based in Scotland but I've seen it on tap and in bottles here in PA.

Also, from my experience, that beer snob monkey should be about 40 lbs heavier.

I haven't brewed in a while and it's probably 95 degrees in my attic. Anyone have a high-temperature fermentation recipe? I forget if it's the farmhouse style that uses this or not.
    Post edited by Special A on
  • I forget if it's the farmhouse style that uses this or not.
    Yup - saison. I formulated one a while ago, but I never got around to brewing it. I'll post up the recipe tonight. I'm not really busy on Saturday, so I'm thinking of busting it out then.

You could also go with a hefe or an English barleywine - something that uses a very fruity yeast. Those guys tend to like hotter fermentations anyway, so it'll just amp up the fruit flavors.
  • I'm thinking about doing some small batch home brewing. Will an electric range make it difficult to maintain the proper temperature, or will I require a gas stove?
  • edited July 2011
    I'm thinking about doing some small batch home brewing. Will an electric range make it difficult to maintain the proper temperature, or will I require a gas stove?
    How big of a batch? If you can boil 5 gallons of water you can do it, but the electric range will probably take a while to reach that temperature. We're talking increased brew time, basically.

Some people will steep and boil in only 2 gallon batches and then top-up with unboiled water before fermentation, but that can introduce an infection. Lots of people do it though, so its not really a huge problem, I'm just anal about sanitation and boil my whole batch. You could steep with two while you boil three, and then combine them for a faster rise to your full boil. You have options if you're limited to an electric range.
  • I forget if it's the farmhouse style that uses this or not.
    Yup - saison. I formulated one a while ago, but I never got around to brewing it. I'll post up the recipe tonight. I'm not really busy on Saturday, so I'm thinking of busting it out then.

You could also go with a hefe or an English barleywine - something that uses a very fruity yeast. Those guys tend to like hotter fermentations anyway, so it'll just amp up the fruit flavors.
    I would appreciate that, especially if it comes with a wyeast recommendation or something similar.

I'm just not a big hefe fan, all the ones I've done or had have come out too watery or too sweet with no body. As for barleywines, well, I want to drink it this year. Lol.
  • I'm seconding the partial boil idea. Bringing 5 gallons to a full boil on most stoves is hideously impractical.

You'll probably want to start with extracts and steeping grains. The electric stove will make it hard to keep a very narrow temperature range, so mashing is going to be tough. If you really want to, you could convert a 5-gallon round Coleman into a mash tun and do all-grain, but I don't advise that. You should start with extract and steeping grains so you get a feel for your processing and sanitation.

You can move to partial mash from there. Honestly, partial mashing is a great way to go if you're short on space. You'll get a good beer with good grain complexity.

One of these days, I'll actually upload the goddamn pictures of my equipment.
  • edited July 2011
    Southhampton Double White makes me so drunk, i don't know why. It's only 6.6%. What gives?

Maybe the sugar kicks your digestion into gear or something.
  • I have decided that the only type of beer I can drink is a Guinness.
    I feel really bad for you. That's like saying that the only sandwich you can eat is a Subway BMT. Sure, its better than baloney on Wonderbread, but why stop there?

Here, I'll help you. What have you tried and what did you like or not like about it?
  • I had a braggot (Weyerbacher #16) yesterday and it was fantastic. I'm definitely going to try to search out more in the future.
    I feel really bad for you. That's like saying that the only sandwich you can eat is a Subway BMT. Sure, its better than baloney on Wonderbread, but why stop there?

Here, I'll help you. What have you tried and what did you like or not like about it?
    The thing is that I am not much of a beer drinker, I like it mostly because it does not taste like beer. I have also tried pilseners. Though, I much rather drink liqueur, wine, or cocktails.
    I also drink Guinness because it looks pretty awesome:
  • You should try some lambic beers.
  • I've been meaning to do a braggot for a while now. Maybe it's time to get on that shit.

Though I redid This is a Beer, and that sumbitch came out like a barley-flavored mead. Pretty strong honey flavor, nice and alcoholic (6.5%), and a hint of citrusy/resiny bitterness.
  • A couple days ago, my friend Meg got some Blue Moon Summer Wheat Ale. I can't think of a smoother beer I've had pretty much ever.
  • Oskar Blues is proof that good canned beer exists. I just had their G'Knight Beer a week ago. Sooooooo good. Hop-tastic.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh yeah, I forgot about this photo for ages - But in nearly every supermarket and big-box store like target, K-mart, all of those, you can buy home brewing supplies. Each kit makes about 10 litres, IIRC.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I have also tried pilseners.
    Have you tried Pilsner Urquell? Because that's the only real pilsner there is. /czechbias
  • I don't drink beer (because I don't drink any alcohol at all), but I'll just leave this here: