This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Shitty beer, but fucking brilliant technology.
  • Wild Heaven is a local brewery here in Atlanta. They make some delicious Belgian style beers.
  • Shitty beer, but fucking brilliant technology.
    Nowhere on their website or in any of the videos does it actually explain how the fucking thing works.
  • Nowhere on their website or in any of the videos does it actually explain how the fucking thing works.
    There are magnets in the bottom of the cups which are lifted when attached to the filling station. When the cup is lifted, they fall back into place by the weight of the beer, preventing zero seepage.
  • edited January 2011
    Shitty beer, but fucking brilliant technology.
    Nowhere on their website or in any of the videos does it actually explain how the fucking thing works.
    Magnetic seal in the bottom of the cup with an advertising logo, if I remember correctly. The nozzle pushes it up, detects the pressure of the seal trying to come back down, pours the beer for a little bit, and then shuts off, ready for the beer to be taken away.

Fuckin' ninja'ed by Andrew.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There are magnets in the bottom of the cups which are lifted when attached to the filling station. When the cup is lifted, they fall back into place by the weight of the beer, preventing zero seepage.
    SO a magnet in every cup? Doesn't that cost $$$$$$?
  • edited January 2011
    SO a magnet in every cup? Doesn't that cost $$$$$$?
    Yeah, but you make it back in being able to serve more patrons at a quicker pace. Also, collectible magnets. Gotta drink 'em all!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • SO a magnet in every cup? Doesn't that cost $$$$$$?
    Yeah, but you make it back in being able to serve more patrons at a quicker pace. Also, collectible magnets. Gotta drink 'em all!
    They should at least have special stations to return the cups and magnets.
  • They should at least have special stations to return the cups and magnets.
    Uhhh, that would violate many, many health laws.
  • Oh! I found a hard cider that I actually liked... Too bad I have no idea what it was called or how to get it ^_^
    Reusing cups? Tons of places clean and reuse cups all the time.
  • Oh! I found a hard cider that I actually liked... Too bad I have no idea what it was called or how to get it ^_^
    What did the bottle look like?
  • edited January 2011
    I quite like Pipsqueak; it's refreshing, and not excessively sweet (unlike Strongbow).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    Huge waste of resources, then. Goddamnit, fuck that.
  • The guy who invented that actually gives the machines to bars for free and makes his money off of selling the proprietary cups.
  • FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • What did the bottle look like?
    Now that I'm thinking about it, it's because it was a home brew of a friends!
  • Are you sure it wasn't just apple juice? ;^)

As an aside, I really, really enjoy Shock Top.
  • edited February 2011
    Southern Tier Mokah: Like a carbonated chocolate bar dropped in a cup of Turkish coffee made with vodka in lieu of water. Strong and bitter as fuck initially, but stout and sweet on the finish, which is quite long. Coffee and chocolate notes REALLY pop with this one; it's a damn good beer. Finished the whole bomber.

Trappiste Rochefort 10: Like a mildly carbonated, slightly hoppy port. Goes down easy and sweet. Insanely long finish (15 seconds?) with earthy and citrus notes throughout.

Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine, aged one year: My first attempt at aging. Bitterness disappeared entirely, and the barleywine became ultrasmooth. Citrus (pineapple? clementine?) and sweet hop notes throughout a delightful finish so long that it bordered on aftertaste. I was enjoying it too much (too fast?) to accurately gauge it. Next time you get a four pack of the OSB, save two for long-term cellaring. You will not be sorry.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Any suggestions for aging in places where there are no cellars like Florida? Dig a hole in the back yard and bury it?
  • Dig a hole in the back yard and bury it?
    Wine fridge to keep the right ambient temperature.
  • Wine fridge, cool basement with wood shelves, double-bag a bottle in freezer bags and bury it.
  • Any suggestions for aging in places where there are no cellars like Florida? Dig a hole in the back yard and bury it?
    Send it to me. I'll take care of it.
  • edited February 2011
    The White House has it's own home brew. It was served at the WH Super Bowl party yesterday (along with other craft brews).

Brewed with 1 lb. of honey from the White House bee hive (naturally).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Who is the official white house brewer?
  • Who is the official white house brewer?
    the Ale was made by an unnamed White House chef who is a home-brewing enthusiast
    Source.
  • This is for you Pete
  • So, a bunch of us (Andrew, George, Ruffas, and myself) went to the Night of the Barrels, part of the Extreme Beer Festival.

While there, we sampled Sam Adam's Utopias.

Yes, that Utopias.

It was sublime, and totally lives up to the hype. $150 for a bottle? Totally worth it.
  • So I went to a friend's apartment after not having seen him in several years. He is also a biologist (he went with a double major in biology and enviromental engineering instead of doing absurd grad work like me), and has beaten me to the punch in that most esteemed of biologist hobbies. He brews mead. He cracked a five-month great mead tonight so those of us in attendance could sample it. A couple notes.

1) Drinking mead is awesome. You feel like a fucking viking. I'm going to culture a starter for this over break.
    2) Drinking mead is not for pussies. This shit is electric robitussin. It tastes medicinal as hell and will have you buzzed after two 8oz glasses. Little bitches need not apply.
    3) Mead fluoresces under blacklight. We viewed evidence of this. This is a mighty drink.
    4) Mead should probably be mulled, spiced, or infused. A traditional grand mead is like liquid cough drops. FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN AND MAKE IT TO DRINKING VALHALLA.

I plan on trading him a bottle of applejack (Maldición de la Manzana--"Curse of the Apple") for a bottle of his new orange spice brew. Goddamn, I love zymurgy.