This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Convnice another player to throw the game while being 100% cooperative the whole time.
    Post edited by ThatGent on
  • Apreche said:

Pocket Hive comes with all the expansions except for pillbug! So good!

And it's also more portable and cheaper than the basic game! Bought that one a while back. What's the pillbug do?
  • Apreche said:

Pocket Hive comes with all the expansions except for pillbug! So good!

And it's also more portable and cheaper than the basic game! Bought that one a while back. What's the pillbug do?
    Suplexes the other bugs.
  • Newest Version of Hedge Maze Hijinks. I added a few cards, including some "global cards" which, when played have an effect on everyone. I plan on changing the Play/Move/Draw mechanic to feature more choice... Instead, it will be a play or draw and then move mechanic with a larger max hand size (4). Each Spell Card has a distinct choice of either playing the spell portion of the card, or placing a Hedge and drawing a card. There is a new "Wild" Tile that will be more specific on which side that you can place the Hedge on, and I placed Statue Icons on tiles to represent the placement instead of adding the extra time of having each player place statues.

Feedback is appreciated. I am hoping to print a new version with the changes at a high quality level soon, and I am printing the new cards on card stock to take to a meet up on Sunday to test out the changes.
  • After play testing again at my new Seattle group, I feel that I have done too much with the game and need to take it back a ways... I like the current graphics of the tiles, but they don't fit a hedge maze as much, so I think I will make it more wizardy (now a word) and have the different tiles represent shards of a magical plane, and change the hedges into magical barriers. I plan on overall reducing the number of spells, to make the game involve less reading time and more playing. I still really like the tiles as it allows for customizable game board size, and haven't really had any issues with the tiles moving enough to be a problem. Also, for some reason, I was using drop shadow in the game text box...
  • ThatGent said:

Convnice another player to throw the game while being 100% cooperative the whole time.

Kind of breaks the game as the main point of it is to interpret what people want, the much simpler is to play a quick round with one person then with their competitor, compare the score, like Left 4 Dead versus mode.

• Played over 15 games of One Night Werewolf this weekend, and wolves only won once. We should've been using the minion (on the wolf team, but not a wolf) to give the wolves a fighting chance.
  • I'm disappointed that Coup is such a rare game. I hesitated to pick it up at PAX East, but by the end of the weekend, I began to regret that decision. That game sold out so quickly!
  • Neocloud said:

After play testing again at my new Seattle group, I feel that I have done too much with the game and need to take it back a ways... I like the current graphics of the tiles, but they don't fit a hedge maze as much, so I think I will make it more wizardy (now a word) and have the different tiles represent shards of a magical plane, and change the hedges into magical barriers. I plan on overall reducing the number of spells, to make the game involve less reading time and more playing. I still really like the tiles as it allows for customizable game board size, and haven't really had any issues with the tiles moving enough to be a problem. Also, for some reason, I was using drop shadow in the game text box...

Did you have a current print-and-play version of this somewhere?

• Not entirely... I am working on a new version of the game, and planning on printing a copy for Ro to take with her to Baltimore in May. I can create some files that would allow for a print and play version, with instructions for the walls, and options to play with tiles or a static board. I will create a newer version and the provide the older version as well (the only difference are the cards and a couple of textures).
  • Yes, come to the party of ScoJo and the game will be there.
  • VentureJ said:

I'm disappointed that Coup is such a rare game. I hesitated to pick it up at PAX East, but by the end of the weekend, I began to regret that decision. That game sold out so quickly!

I don't have the official so some friends and I play with a modified set of playing cards.
  • I am renaming Hedge Maze Hijinks to represent mages battling on a field of different colors (or parts of magical planes) and not sure what to name it. I figure i would toss it out over here to see what people think.
    **Planar Chaos (is my current place holder, and there aren't any games on BGG with this title)
    **Mage Maze
    **Magic Maze Mayhem (new favorite... I think I may use it, as I just ran it past Ro and she likes it.)
    **Wizard Planes (magical airplanes)
  • Newest version of the game. I think I am definitely leanign towards Magic Maze Mayhem (I like alliteration) for the name. All art is pending, and I am working on a Print and Play version that will feature a Static board, and cards of the correct size (current cards are formatted for a printer).
  • Found a boardgame coffee shop started up in Perth. Is open till way late and serves a bunch of coffees, desserts and waffles all day.
    Played Dominion, Coup and Game of Thrones.

They have Netrunner too so I'm going to use the FRC as a strategy library.
  • Well you are just checking all of the boxes here: all good games, good hours, good refreshment.
  • Friend just sent me a stop motion video of our first game of Eclipse. Apparently it took him a whole year to do so.
  • Excited for both of the big offerings from Bezier Games' in 2014.

Subdivision has aesthetic and thematic connections to Suburbia, married to card drafting and a Stephen Feld-like mechanic of using a die to limit your tile placement options (plus resources that allow you to break that limitation).

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is super-Suburbia, with irregularly shaped tiles and a 'you split / I choose' mechanic where a player sets prices for the tiles every round, players pay THEM for the tiles, but they have to build last. Just look at this action:

• Just makes me want to play Suburbia mooooooore. I haven't gotten a chance to go deep on that game, but it absolutely warrants it. Excellent game. I even played through the crappy iOS version just to get more time with it.

Subdivision sounds awesome. You're saying all great things. Castles of Mad King Ludwig I will withhold judgement on, but players setting prices scares me. Opens the door for one bad player to ruin the game.
  • Looking for peoples preference on card draw wording. Say you have a starting hand of three cards, and each turn you play a card, make a move with a pawn, then draw a card to refill your hand. You can discard 2 cards of the same color to use as a wild, but you only get the single card at the end of your turn, thus reducing your overall hand size (which I think adds a layer of strategy).

Should the player aid say "At the end of your turn, draw a card" or "At the end of your turn, draw one card"?
  • I'd say "draw a card". It sounds more natural without adding any ambiguity.
  • This is a tricky one. In this case, the player does NOT get to re-fill his hand as would normally be the case. I could see it being interpreted as "fill my hand as usual, oh and then draw an additional card because I did the '2 cards as a wild' thing."

I have a problem with being too verbose, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'd lean towards something like "draw only one card (do not refill your hand)."
  • I'd avoid mentioning refilling your hand in general. Rather than separating it into two different cases (play one card->refill your hand; play two cards->draw one card) just make one case (play one/two cards->draw a card).
  • I would have the rule sheet/book be very specific regarding the discarding 2 and only getting one card back. I think that mechanic adds a different layer of strategy (that could be ignored for a more casual game), or I could make the drawing only one card an advanced mode for the more hardcore players.
  • Finally got to play Terra Mystica this weekend - it's legit. Appears to have significant room for strategic and tactical play. Terra Mystica reminds me of Hansa Teutonica in the way your overall development on the board is open-ended, but you can be particularly clever about how you manipulate your resources and borrow momentum from other players. Then add 14 different races with unique special powers on top of that.
  • Guerilla Settlement Witches for life.
  • Sent my most recent version of my game to the printer for a prototype. I am going to be using the pawns I already painted and some wood cubes painted black to represent the statues (unless I find something better in the mean time). New copy should be here in time to make the trip to Baltimore with Ro. I just need to finish the rules before she leaves.
  • Those figures. (For Tokkaido)

• I think its official, I have the worst luck in V!C! then anyone else who has played the game.
  • Has anyone played The Capitals? Apparently, it's another city-building game that's a bit more complex than Suburbia.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119012/the-capitals