This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• That story has all the traits of a bad high school idea.
  • Well TIL. I had no idea, though yes you had it right. I was thinking of nutmeg in the only context I've ever seen it: ground and packaged.
  • Alaric728 said:

Naoza said:

I've never found a good collective noun to refer to people from Connecticut. Wikipedia's list of demonyms for US states lists several variants on the state name and Nutmegger. Which is a term I used to like until I found out it was also a term for recreational users of nutmeg, which, I assume, means people who don't know what the placebo effect is.

Are you referring to the hallucinogenic properties of freshly ground nutmeg in large doses? If so, it does contain myristicin which is known to have psychoactive effects. Then again, if you're like me and your friends in high school bought ground nutmeg from Stop & Shop and snorted it because they're a bunch of fools, then I totally get what you mean.
    Wow. I've known people who used Benadryl recreationally and I've never known anyone to do that.
  • The way I remember it, even erowid thought nutmeg was a pretty bad idea.
  • edited October 2015
    Greg said:

Alaric728 said:

Naoza said:

I've never found a good collective noun to refer to people from Connecticut. Wikipedia's list of demonyms for US states lists several variants on the state name and Nutmegger. Which is a term I used to like until I found out it was also a term for recreational users of nutmeg, which, I assume, means people who don't know what the placebo effect is.

Are you referring to the hallucinogenic properties of freshly ground nutmeg in large doses? If so, it does contain myristicin which is known to have psychoactive effects. Then again, if you're like me and your friends in high school bought ground nutmeg from Stop & Shop and snorted it because they're a bunch of fools, then I totally get what you mean.
    Wow. I've known people who used Benadryl recreationally and I've never known anyone to do that.
    It was pretty big in the media a few years ago. Which is sort of funny because they're trying to "notify parents" or whatever but I always feel like that kinda coverage just gives more people the idea to try it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I hear that. I remember watching the news they had a special on "where teens hide their drugs", to which my mom responded (without missing a beat) "Channel 5 News, giving kids great new ways to hide their drugs!"
  • Greg said:

I hear that. I remember watching the news they had a special on "where teens hide their drugs", to which my mom responded (without missing a beat) "Channel 5 News, giving kids great new ways to hide their drugs!"

I feel like with that one, it's a lot more likely that the parents would see it than their kids.
  • Yo.

I don't have a whole lot to say about myself. I listen to a lot of music, watch anime, read short horror fiction, and drink a lot of coffee. Sometimes I make music and write things. I'm honestly kind of boring and talk too much like it's a nervous tic, even online.

Good to meet you.
  • wow, no one has introduced themselves since Nov 2015?
  • Most people lurk. ;)
  • edited April 2016
    Heh, I'm the second most recent intro here. I'm the almost official second newest member.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • I never did an intro.
  • Hello, folks. I'm Joe. I'm a software engineer at a big silicon valley tech company, having worked my way up through the trenches of operations and then hardware test engineering to get here. I have a BS in CS.

I watch 1 or 2 anime shows per season, and play video games for at least a little while most days. I DM a DnD 5e game every couple of weeks. I relish my daily 15-mile bike commute and have recently become interested in bodyweight fitness. I hope someday to revive and even improve my rusty piano and archery skills.

I became aware of Geeknights when I attended the "How to Win Every Game" panel at PAX, and it instantly became one of my favorite podcasts. I've been lurking in the forum for a few months, but it's time to step out of the shadows!
  • Glad to have you!

Most of the people here lurk, which I've always found fascinating.
  • Oh Hey,

I'm Crittle (a.k.a Chris Little). I Live in Boston and have been an Enforcer at every Pax East, mainly Tabletop, recently Classic Console. My day job is basically herding cats and slinging expensive coffees. I also try and do art as much as I can, and I am a Master Gardener.

My Geekery is mainly board/video games and anime. I am basically five years behind on both, I let time vet out the best stuff.

I first found GeekNights at the first Pax East when they did the "Losing Should Be Fun" Panel. I later rediscovered them and am now trying to go through the back log of castpods.
  • Welcome to the tower, glad you said hi. We have a gardening thread on her that would be relevant to your interest.
  • Hey man! Welcome!
  • Nice to have another Bostonian on here. Welcome!
  • Indeed. What part of the Hub do you live in?
  • We could do a Boston GeekNights meetup. I met Neito this last PAX East, and Hitman Hart the last two Easts. New thread?
  • We've talked about it in the past, but I'm a lot more mobile now that I actually have money than I used to be.
  • Well I've had this account going on eight years now, might as well say hello.

I'm (as the inventive username suggests) Geoff and I'm the Network Manager at a college. In reality that means I look after the network, servers, desktops, laptops and pretty much anything with a plug on it.

I live in the east of England (South Lincolnshire) and as well as all the more standard geekeries (videogames, board games, anime, fantasy/sci-fi books and tv etc.) I do a lot of archery.

I do field archery (shooting at 3D foam representations of animals rather than paper targets, at unknown distances and various elevations, generally around disused quarries or bits of woodland) with a crossbow, and target archery (like you see at the Olympic games) with an English longbow. Last year I spent a long weekend with a bowyer, and in that time I made the bow that I currently shoot.

I must have been listening to GeekNights for around 10 years now, it helped keep me sane when my commute was a lot longer, and is still a regular feature on the car stereo when I'm driving.

If you're still reading after all that, well done! ;)
  • Listening that long, I actually wonder what sort of people you think we are, having been exposed to our media personalities longer than a lot of people stay married =P
  • Rym said:

Listening that long, I actually wonder what sort of people you think we are, having been exposed to our media personalities longer than a lot of people stay married =P

I've been listeing to GeekNights longer than any job I've had, any friendship I've had save two, and almost as long as I've been going to conventions. That's kinda super weird now that I think about it.
  • I am Russ, I live in Indiana and am mostly boring. I suffer from anxiety and depression but I keep myself medicated to give me a leg up.

I work at a gas station and am old enough to know better than to work at a gas station. I would like to go to school to learn about computers but I'm not sure where to get started and my anxiety makes it difficult to begin.

I enjoy co-operative games, I used to be competitive in fighting games but I am less so now (while still being somewhat decent at street fighter 5), I was a studying magician before anxiety, and am currently trying to learn to be competitive in chess.
  • Welcome Russ! It's lovely to have you here. I'm Dave and it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
  • Sounds like you should know about this thread.
  • Hiya Dave.

Thanks for the link Greg.
  • Hi,

My name is Drew. I haven't really been here in 8 years, so I hope you'll allow me to reintroduce myself.

I have a BS in CS and Math from University of Cincinnati, where I helped found a collegiate hackathon.
    I am currently a software development engineer in Seattle, where I work for The Internet.

I am in to the typical geekeries (games and cartoons), but also play tennis and love prog/power metal.
    I've been an Expo Enforcer at the last two PAX Easts, and am looking forward to my first Prime/West this year as an attendee.