This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Just read The Shepard's Tale. Definitely the first of the Firefly comics that I actually enjoyed as much as an episode of the show.
    It really answers a lot of questions I had about Book.
  • Hard Boiled is what happens when Transmet and Fallout have a baby while both were continuously using every psychotropic, stimulant, and narcotic known to man. Then, the infant develops a love of ecstasy, LSD, and meth, and murders his parents by vivisection.

Seriously, this book is so violent, sexual, and weird that it makes Warren Ellis's entire body of work look like the fucking Care Bears.
  • @Sail: I got a random volume of Hopeless Savages at a thrift store. It's just okay, not the greatest. Then again, I didn't read it from the beginning.
  • edited December 2010
    Here's the deal: I'm not that heavily into western comics, but I've read Watchmen. I've read V for Vendetta, all of Sin City, Scott Pilgrim, The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (and the Companion), Essex County, and Bone. I'm currently reading The Dark Knight returns. Just for fun, I've been reading some of The Walking Dead, Lucky Luke and Deadpool on the side, as well as assorted TMNT comics (early Mirage era). I will probably read 300 and Maus next. What should I read after that?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Hard Boiled is what happens when Transmet and Fallout have a baby while both were continuously using every psychotropic, stimulant, and narcotic known to man. Then, the infant develops a love of ecstasy, LSD, and meth, and murders his parents by vivisection.

Seriously, this book is so violent, sexual, and weird that it makes Warren Ellis's entire body of work look like the fuckingCare Bears.
    I'm going to read that right fucking now.
  • I'm going to read thatright fucking now.
    Have some tissue ready for the shopping mall scene, seriously Frank Miller.

@chaosof99: Try Strangers in Paradise. Start with volume two 1-9 "I dream of You".
  • edited December 2010
    Have some tissue ready for the shopping mall scene, seriously Frank Miller.
    So, Do you mean because it's awesome, or because it's wall to wall whores?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Have some tissue ready for the shopping mall scene, seriously Frank Miller.
    Yes.
  • Have some tissue ready for the shopping mall scene, seriously Frank Miller.
    Yes.
    !!
  • edited December 2010
    !!
    Amazon sums it up nicely:
    Carl Seltz is a suburban insurance investigator, a loving husband, and devoted father. Nixon is a berserk, homicidal tax collector racking up mind-boggling body counts in a diseased urban slaughterhouse. Unit Four is the ultimate robot killing machine - and the last hope of the future's enslaved mechanical servants. And they're all the same psychotic entity.
    It's also illustrated by Geof Darrow, so the entire book is sort of a Where's Waldo of Cyberpunk debauchery.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2010
    a Where's Waldo of Cyberpunk debauchery.
    That's pretty much a perfect description of Geoff Darrow's work.

Also, from an interview with Geoff Darrow that I heard years ago, Hard Boiled wasn't supposed to be NEARLY as insane as it was -- but Darrow got bored drawing the scripts Miller had sent him, and just started putting crazy shit in. When Miller got the pages back, he freaked out, and had to basically rewrite the whole story to fit what Darrow had drawn. For examply, in the original script, Nixon wasn't a robot.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Hahahaha, oh man. That would explain why it's so disjointed. I didn't buy it for the story, though.

I've heard that Darrow and Moebius have done some team-ups in the past. I really want to see them; I feel like they'd be magnificent.
  • I had fallen a bit behind on The Walking Dead, so I read book 12 and part of book 13 this morning. While it was a lot of setup for future events and not a lot of action, that's what I love about the series. It creates tension you can cut with a knife due to the awkward interactions of humans in a strange world, while not requiring blazing guns on every panel.

It made me realize I don't like the TV show as much as I thought I did. I still enjoy the show, but it's only because I have such lower standards for television. I haven't read a Walking Dead book in months but I cared about those characters so much from the first page on. I still don't give a damn about the TV characters because they spend so much less time on character development, and have flooded the field with an expanded cast.
  • The first issue of the Metalocalypse comic was basically perfect.
  • edited December 2010
    I decided to read a non-Miller Batman book. It's called The Long Halloween, I liked it a lot. Anybody got any recommendations for other comics like that (i.e. crime drama with or without superheroes)

EDIT: OH MY GOD!!!! The guy who wrote The Long Halloween also co-wrote Commando!!!! :D
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I decided to read a non-Miller Batman book. It's calledThe Long Halloween, I liked it a lot. Anybody got any recommendations for other comics like that (i.e. crime drama with or without superheroes)
    Powers is most excellent. The Killing Joke is another really good Batman.
  • I decided to read a non-Miller Batman book. It's calledThe Long Halloween, I liked it a lot. Anybody got any recommendations for other comics like that (i.e. crime drama with or without superheroes)
    Powers is most excellent. The Killing Joke is another really good Batman.
    I can second Powers. I checked out the first volume from my library and thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting back to that series is burning a hole in my to-read list.
  • I can secondPowers. I checked out the first volume from my library and thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting back to that series is burning a hole in my to-read list.
    Got volume 12 of the trade paper backs. It's on the queue of things to read. So much to read.
  • I've just started reading comics a few months ago and my absolute favorite is Scarlet.
    For Sci-fi I like 'Phoenix without ashes'

as an aside, am I the only one here who avoided comics for many years because they never saw the appeal to super hero comics and no one ever told them there were more than just super hero comics out there?

My friend had dragged me in to the brand new comic book store that opened in our mall, I spotted Doctor Who comics and it was all over, I was instantly hooked after ~6months I'm nearing on obsessed. I'm going to the mall today to pick up my first variants, of Scarlet, and expect to spend a little over 100$ on 3 or 4 comics, of which I already own the first standard print of each.
  • I'm going to the mall today to pick up my first variants, of Scarlet, and expect to spend a little over 100$ on 3 or 4 comics, of which I already own the first standard print of each.
    You're one of THOSE people? Seriously, what are you thinking? Variant covers? Look, if you really want to throw money away, I'll give you my address.
  • I'm going to the mall today to pick up my first variants, of Scarlet, and expect to spend a little over 100$ on 3 or 4 comics, of which I already own the first standard print of each.
    You're one of THOSE people? Seriously, what are you thinking? Variant covers? Look, if you really want to throw money away, I'll give you my address.
    C'mon Scott. In the wait-for-the-trades comic industry, variant covers are showing true support for the artists!
  • I walked past the comic shop in town today and part of me defibrilated that other part of me so it could die again.
    C'mon Scott. In the wait-for-the-trades comic industry, variant covers are showing true support for the artists!
    I hope I wasn't too ZOMG. I really want to know what someone is thinking when they spend $30 on an already overpriced $3 pamphlet.
  • Yeah, I always wondered why the people have to own different versions of comics they already have. Why not just buy the trades and look at the variant covers online?
  • I'm with both of you. Especially because most of my trades have the covers republished in the back.
  • Yeah, I always wondered why the people have to own different versions of comics they already have. Why not just buy the trades and look at the variant covers online?
    I almost thought seriously about buying Scott Pilgrims again, but there reason was that I wanted to read the translated version, but I then I came to my senses and realized that I can go to the library for that purpose.
  • Perhaps the pages were stuck together on his first version?
    Because people are either 1)Stupid or B)O.C.D or Lastly, some combination of the two.
    Because people are either 1)Stupid or B)O.C.D or Lastly, some combination of the two.
    While I agree with Churbs, as usual, I think that these people might be of the persuasion that variants add rarity that make them worth the "investment." Of course, buying comics as an investment is not exactly a strong indication of intelligence or even proper mental hygiene, so Churba's assessment stands.

I'd dearly love to see someone who buys variants defend the practice.
  • edited December 2010
    The ONLY time I've ever bought multiple copies of the same comic book was the Serenity covers and there was a good deal of months where I had them hanging in my office at work, so I figure it was worth it :-p I didn't even buy the multiple covers of X-men #1 in my childhood because I thought that was stupid. (Says the guy who has probably close to 1,500 individual comic books, mostly inherited from family)
    Post edited by Cremlian on