This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Jeph Loeb is a total hack. Hush and Long Halloween are his only things.
    Those were the "hits" I had in mind.
  • Jeph Loeb is a total hack.
    Worse than Mark Millar?
  • I rather enjoyed Kick Ass.
  • edited February 2011
    than Mark Millar?
    I actually think you can prove that Jeph Loeb is worse than Mark Millar scientifically by comparing Ultimates 1 (written by Mark Millar) to Ultimates 3 (written by Jeph Loeb).

Same cast of characters, same setting.

Ultimates 1 is a shallow yet pretty badass modern reinterpretation of the Avengers featuring one dimensional characters who all speak with more or less the same voice.

Ultimates 3 is a criminal offense against lines and words on pieces of paper.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Worse than Mark Millar?
    Millar's had some good stuff. Red Son was pretty decent comparatively, WANTED is pretty fun, his Judge Dredd runs are pretty good, Swamp Thing, The Unfunnies, and War Heroes are all good.
    He's hit and miss, I'll give you, but he's not that bad, really.
  • edited February 2011
    Double post, but worth it - Image comics are releasing a new one-shot comic called Lorna: Relic Wrangler, which looks to be pretty bloody good, story by the excellent Micah S. Harris, and some great art by Loston Wallace, the same guy responsible for the art on B:TAS.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • All-Star Superman: It's the Superman story you show people who think that you can't tell a good story involving Superman, followed up by delivering crushing disappointment when you tell them there is nothing else primarily about Superman that is any good.
    Superman for All Seasons, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman Confidential, Elseworlds Action Comics Annual No. 6, in which a Kryptonian dude came to England during the reign of George III and killed all the U.S. Founding Fathers.
  • Superman for All Seasons, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman Confidential, Elseworlds Action Comics Annual No. 6, in which a Kryptonian dude came to England during the reign of George III and killed all the U.S. Founding Fathers.
    brb amazon
  • Superman for All Seasons, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman Confidential, Elseworlds Action Comics Annual No. 6, in which a Kryptonian dude came to England during the reign of George III and killed all the U.S. Founding Fathers.
    brb amazon
    Just heard this joke.

Where did Superman go to buy Wonder Woman a birthday present?

Amazon.com.
  • Planet Hulk is pretty good and is eventually a very emotional story, World War Hulk isn't nearly as good, but is much more entertaining as it is nothing more than the Hulk beating the ever loving shit out of some of the strongest superheros in the Marvel Universe.
  • I picked up the library edition vol. 1 of Hellboy and the "Omnivore edition" vol. 1 of Chew at Katsucon, and read them both since then. I would strongly recommend either.
  • Laika was pretty heartrending, and I couldn't get that one JoCo song about Laika out of my head while I was reading it.
  • I love that comic and I love that song. Both made me cry.
  • in Flight vol. 2 there is a story about Laika, where his spaceship takes him to a strange and wondrous planet and he does doggy stuff.

It is a nice chaser for the harsh reality.
  • I thought Laika was a female.
  • edited February 2011
    Totally forgot during my comic swap with friends, they gave me The Amazing Joy Buzzards vol 1 & 2 without telling me anything about it but assuming I will more than likely enjoy it.

Still haven't read it but the description has me pretty pumped to read this:
    The Amazing Joy Buzzards, a world-traveling, mystery-solving band, have a lair in Mt. Rushmore, and they work for Creative International Artists–although one would think that the CIA would come up with a less obvious name for their cover organization. The band consists of Stevo, on bass, who speaks in pictographs; Gabe, on drums, who is the brains of the operation; and Biff, on guitar, the lead singer and girl-magnet of the group. They are occasionally joined by El Campeon, a mythical Mexican wrestler genie who lives in an amulet and works for doughnuts. Readers are informed that the band is bigger than Elvis, are given some hints about previous adventures, and are then tossed straight into the first crisis, in which poor Stevo is transformed into a Godzilla-like monster and the others face down an evil pink robot. They sell their story to Hollywood, and, once there, find themselves facing the second villain, a man determined to destroy the AJB because its music broke his hypnotic hold on his 15-year-old bride. For real. There is one story not connected to this arc, and it sets up events for the next volume of the series. This is more sophisticated and hip than the setup might lead readers to believe. The art is black and white, with only a few splashes of pink for the robot. It has a propulsive energy that keeps the stories humming along. Great fun.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • When I first heard of Batman Inc this came to mind immediately.
    When I first heard of Batman Inc this came to mind immediately.
  • edited February 2011
    BOOM! is on fucking FIRE this week - New issues of Darkwing Duck, Rescue rangers, Do Androids Dream of electric sheep? and IRREDEEMABLE, along with a Re-print of some of the Rosa Scrooge McDuck stories, including "The Universal Solvent".
    Previews over at MAJOR SPOILERS.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So Powers is being made into a TV series on FX.

At first I was like, "That's cool."

Then I heard Katee Sackhoff Wants to Star in the Powers Series.

Then I was like :

ever since I saw this I've wanted to see an earnest police procedural that takes place in Gotham City.
  • ever since I saw this I've wanted to see an earnest police procedural that takes place in Gotham City.
    It's called Gotham Central.

Gotham Central
  • Gotham Centralimage

are these actually worth reading?
  • are these actually worth reading?
    Scott recommends it, so I would say yes. I have volume one, but have yet to read it.
  • And it's by Greg Rucka, whose comic writings I loooove.
    Yes times a hojillion.
    Yes times a hojillion.
  • Ok, can someone please explain the new releases of Gotham Central coming out? I have Book 1: In The Line of Duty on Hardcover, and I recently bought Vol 3: Unresolved Targets, Vol 4: The Quick and The Dead, and Vol 4: Dead Robin on paperback on sale at a local comic book store.

I assume the new ones being released are just new copies of the older versions. I'm just confused on the the upcoming titles not matching the ones I currently have.

If someone can explain that would be great.
  • Ok, can someone please explain the new releases of Gotham Central coming out? I have Book 1: In The Line of Duty on Hardcover, and I recently bought Vol 3: Unresolved Targets, Vol 4: The Quick and The Dead, and Vol 4: Dead Robin on paperback on sale at a local comic book store.

I assume the new ones being released are just new copies of the older versions. I'm just confused on the the upcoming titles not matching the ones I currently have.

If someone can explain that would be great.
    The newer hardcovers are not the same as the old trade paperbacks. The original Gotham Central trade paperbacks are actually missing some of the Gotham Central issues. At the same time, they also have a couple extra non-Gotham Central Batman comics in there. The new hardcovers contain every Gotham Central issue, and nothing else. Wikipedia has a chart that explains it.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gotham_Central#Collected_editions