This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• They should go one step further and have alternate issues. Wolverine goes left, or Wolverine goes left more slowly!
  • edited December 2010
    They should go one step further and have alternate issues. Wolverine goes left, or Wolverine goes left more slowly!
    We all know Wolverine would go right and left at the same time, because he's wolverine.

//is still pissed they didn't make a second season of Wolverine and the X-men....
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • They should go one step further and have alternate issues. Wolverine goes left, or Wolverine goes left more slowly!
    Like this?

I think they're doing an alternate history thing in "Age of X." All I know about it is that Phoenix blow up Albany, and I want to read it.
  • Wolverine can't kill the Hulk. This would max out his anger, resulting in the destruction of the universe by his constituent atoms.
  • I think hero comics need more tournament arcs.
  • I think hero comics need more tournament arcs.
    Why? They all collectively jumped the shark years ago.
  • Why? They all collectively jumped the shark years ago.
    The X-Men, having defeated Magneto, must now return to the Mansion for a shark-jumping tournament. This arc will span eleven thousand issues.
  • edited December 2010
    The X-Men, having defeated Magneto, must now return to the Mansion for a shark-jumping tournament. This arc will span eleven thousand issues.
    I'm pretty sure all the characters that can fly and kitty pryde would win this pretty well though technically nightcrawler would just teleport over a certain amount of sharks..... That and Colossus, I mean does he even have to worry about the shark... Cypher is probably the only guy who has to actually worry about falling into the shark pit because he kinda sucks.... Ummm.. well do we count X-men that can fly into space and literally jump every shark in the world at the same time? What about the ones going back in time and killing the shark before someone can jump it...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Instead of a shark-jumping contest, it should be a Blob moving contest. That would definitely last eleven thousand issues.
  • Instead of a shark-jumping contest, it should be a Blob moving contest. That would definitely last eleven thousand issues.
    Round 1: Cyclops moves the blob.
  • They essentially had a shark-jumping contest with the Lensman arms race the Sentinels, Weapon X, and the mutants had.
  • Wolverine can't kill the Hulk.
    Yes, but what if?
  • Wolverine can't kill the Hulk.
    Yes, butwhat if?
    I rather like the Old Man Logan end to that particular conflict; Old Hulk eats OML. Old Hulk gets eviscerated from the inside..
  • I rather like the Old Man Logan end to that particular conflict;
    Yes, but why would he? I have no idea;
    Like this?

Is that the "X-men" version of "It's a Wonderful Life"?

• Is that the "X-men" version of "It's a Wonderful Life"?
    It's Scott's version of, "Hey, I'll post a ridiculous-looking cover from more than thirty years ago of a story written under the restrictions of the Comics Code Authority to prove that I'm too cool to like superhero books. I just like rare books about rare Japanese things that you've never heard about . . . That doesn't make me a hipster, does it?
  • It's Scott's version of, "Hey, I'll post a ridiculous-looking cover from more than thirty years ago of a story written under the restrictions of the Comics Code Authority to prove that I'm too cool to like superhero books. I just like rare books about rare Japanese things that you've never heard about . . . That doesn't make me a hipster, does it?
    If you want to be a hipster, you should ride around town on the Columbia Formula 10 ten-speed racer advertised on the cover. Actually, scratch that. Hipsters only ride Fixies. Even a ten speed from the olden days is too cool for them.
  • edited December 2010
    It's Scott's version of, "Hey, I'll post a ridiculous-looking cover from more than thirty years ago of a story written under the restrictions of the Comics Code Authority to prove that I'm too cool to like superhero books. I just like rare books about rare Japanese things that you've never heard about . . . That doesn't make me a hipster, does it?
    If you want to be a hipster, you should ride around town on the Columbia Formula 10 ten-speed racer advertised on the cover.
    They advertised bicycles on the covers of comic books published in 1981, when said books were still being primarily targeted towards the kiddies! Imagine that! How cool we are from our thirty-years-in-the-future vantage point when we disparage such actions of a bygone era! Stupid thiry-years-ago people!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • There go lots of my moneys.

Going to pick up a graphic novel or a collection for my kid cousin in a few. Probably a Tintin collection or the first Mouse Guard book.
  • I really liked the Mouse Guard book that just finished, Tales of the Guard, which was just like the Strange Tales Marvel's been putting out recently, except all covered in fur.
  • Whelp, looks like I made the right choice on waiting to pick up all of Bone.
  • I've been reading a lot of Batman lately, and I've just started getting interested in superhero comics. I've bought Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Hush, and The Long Halloween. I really enjoyed them all, especially The Long Halloween because of all the references to The Godfather. Of those story-lines, I only had a problem with the resolution of one of them which to my surprise was The Dark Knight Returns. I thought that the sudden addition of The Green Arrow to the plot was a plot contrivance bordering on the plot device marked by an overused and under understood phrase "deus ex machina." Other than that, I'm really happy with these purchases. Can somebody recommend some more superhero comics that are a) not Batman and b) really awesome?
  • edited January 2011
    @progSHELL Powers and God Complex are both really good. Tower of Babel is a JLA book about how somebody hacks Batman's computer, takes his contingency plans and fucks up everyone's shit. And if you're willing to life your no-Batman caveat, The Killing Joke is well worth a read.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • @Progshell - Don't worry, it gets better about the green arrow thing. Also, Legends Of the Dark Knight is pretty decent.
  • @Progshell - Don't worry, it gets better about the green arrow thing. Also, Legends Of the Dark Knight is pretty decent.
    It gets better? The comic ended!
  • edited January 2011
    It gets better? The comic ended!
    You didn't realize there's a sequel? The Dark Knight Strikes again, it's pretty good.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It gets better? The comic ended!
    You didn't realize there's a sequel? The Dark Knight Strikes again, it's pretty good.
    I heard it wasn't so good. But I'll check it out.
  • It gets better? The comic ended!
    I heard it wasn't so good. But I'll check it out.
    It's love it or hate it. Miller basically cranked everything about it up to eleven. This includes (spoilers without plot context) a batsuit in the form of a giant fucking robot that requires all of Gotham City to be blacked out so the power grid can be redirected into the suit to power it. It's good for, at the very least, a laugh.