This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Netflix Watch It Now

1234568»

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I have a very spotty history with anime. I've seen a whole bunch, but not enough to consider myself a huge fan. Sometimes I just get the urge to pop something new on the TV, and 9/10 times I enjoy it b/c I have fairly diverse taste.

Mushi-Shi is not that show. Can some more seasoned anime fans step in her and tell me what the deal is with this show? Watched two episodes, found it intolerable. Not coming back unless someone convinces me it's got some great long-term payoff. Is this well known to be crap, or am I mistaken? Just blindly trusted Netflix's recommendations in picking it.
    What Neito said. My favorites are eps 7 and 20.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It's a series of fictional folktales. That's all. Vignettes of a world where disease is misunderstood except by the few who truly study it, presented with fictional agents rather than real ones.

This avoids the situation where the viewer has a meta understanding of the details. It wouldn't have the same punch if the mushi were just bacteria: we know what bacteria area already.
  • It's also thickly based in Japanese myth. I know when I first watched it I didn't like how much it assumed you knew (admittedly, I was also decisively younger).
  • edited June 2012
    It felt like old legends, but ones that don't actually exist. It's kind of like a calm, slow medical drama where the diseases are actually magic. Also, the animation is really pretty.
    The first two episodes I remember as being quite beautiful and good. The one with the painting kid and the wine is so gorgeous and soothing! However, if you did not like those, the rest of the episodes are more of the same. It doesn't have a running plot or anything. I do like the episode where there is the cocoon and the lost sister. ("Don't shut the door!")
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It felt like old legends, but ones that don't actually exist. It's kind of like a calm, slow medical drama where the diseases are actually magic. Also, the animation is really pretty.
    The first two episodes I remember as being quite beautiful and good. The one with the painting kid and the wine is so gorgeous and soothing! However, if you did not like those, the rest of the episodes are more of the same. It doesn't have a running plot or anything. I do like the episode where there is the cocoon and the lost sister. ("Don't shut the door!")
    I will admit that I thought the animation in the first episode, w/ the drawings coming to life, was pretty great. I'm not opposed to this type of show, just think I wasn't in the mood for it. Now that I know some more about it, I think I'll come back to it at a different time.

• Yeah, you definitely need to be in the right mood for Mushi-Shi. It's really all about creating a specific mood and atmosphere - the stories are whatever.
  • That movie is fantastic.
  • edited June 2012
    http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Goon/70209163
    YES YES YES 100 TIMES YES

I saw it in theaters. It was absolutely flooring. Every time I mentioned it to someone I said "Well, it's a definite Netflix release, so watch it then", and here it is. Awesome move, so happy whenever it gets some love.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • 91 minutes, too. When it's that short, you might as well watch it.
  • I liked mushi-shi quite a bit personally. It wasn't amazing, but it was interesting. And I love the quasi-mystical bacteria as monsters sort of thing.
  • Now available in Finland, with fansubs!

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-caught-using-pirated-subtitles-in-finland-121019/
    Heard about this yesterday when it hit the Finnish news sources. Only thing that I found odd in that is how, in the article, they mention that they have removed the series, for now. Why didn't they just remove the subtitles, they already have stuff without subs in there.

• So we have Netflix now. I bet the library sucks compared to the US one, so I don't want to sign up without trying it out. They let me try it out for free for a month. 'Cept I need to put in my credit card information. Hm...
  • If you're just watching it on a computer then just use a proxy and watch the US library.
  • edited October 2012
    Does X-Forwarded-For spoofing work? That's a lot nicer than using a proxy.

Also, the other question is whether they have separate accounts for different countries, or if you can use just one and get different results based on where it thinks you're located.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I would need US credit card, and US VPN that they wouldn't know is US VPN. I'm not paying 2 subscription fees for something that is more effort and worse than torrents.
  • So we have Netflix now. I bet the library sucks compared to the US one, so I don't want to sign up without trying it out. They let me try it out for free for a month. 'Cept I need to put in my credit card information. Hm...
    Generally speaking, the credit card is to just verify that you're a unique person. If you cancel before the trial period ends, you don't owe a dime. It's fairly common, and not grounds for suspicion in any way, honestly.
  • There's a site that will generate empty credit card numbers and entire personas for filling out online forms. http://fakenamegenerator.com
  • Doesn't seem to work. It says the credit card is not valid.
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah sorry. It works on audible but I just tried on Netflix too and it failed.
    Edit: Gave out a number for a prepaid card with $0.16 on it, tried another card with a similarly low amount and it fails because it can't take the security deposit.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited October 2012
    Yeah, a lot of places that need a credit card number charge and immediately re-credit $1 or so just to make sure it's a real credit card. That fake generator is basically just making sure it the number it generates passes this test:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I used a prepaid card with like 2 bucks on it and it works. Cept it doesn't work with Linux. I also think we don't get the full library. I did some research and it seems to work with pretty much every embedded Linux device, but not a Linux desktop.
  • Oh my science! The live action Fist if the North Star is in NetFlix. I don't even...
  • Also, the other question is whether they have separate accounts for different countries, or if you can use just one and get different results based on where it thinks you're located.
    I think I read somewhere that one account would work around the world. But I don't have any sources for that just my memory.
  • I used a prepaid card with like 2 bucks on it and it works. Cept it doesn't work with Linux. I also think we don't get the full library. I did some research and it seems to work with pretty much every embedded Linux device, but not a Linux desktop.
    Shouldn't it not matter as long as you have Silverlight installed?
  • No, it doesn't let you. Wine silverlight doesn't work either.