This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nerd, Geek or Dork?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    65 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 26% Dork - Which makes me a Pure Nerd. In other words, I'm mostly interested in just general smartness, and rather than concentrating on one area, I am a renaissance girl. My dork factor was boosted by the fact that I'm mildly antisocial, but since I am okay cute, have good hygiene and dress reasonably well I'm not too worried.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Your Score: Outcast Genius
    56 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 52% Dork
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    "No, seriously guys! I'm modern and cool... an internet survey told me so!"

:D

All three options are synonyms in my book, although dork does not suggest intellectualism, and nerd is used as a perjorative by geeks who want to believe that all those snide comments directed their way are actually about some other guys arguing about Star Trek. :P

I've never been a fan of these kind of surveys because they encourage people to think of geekdom as a lifestyle rather than a condition. A geek isn't a geek because they like anime or whatever, although many people like anime because they are geeks. You can have a geek that likes beer and baseball, and a perfectly ordinary and well-adjusted human being who reads manga and spends a lot of time around computers. The difference is in the way the two types go about enjoying their hobbies, not in the hobbies themselves.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Bah! Who needs perfectly ordinary and well-adjusted human beings anyway?

• All three options are synonyms in my book, although dork does not suggest intellectualism, and nerd is used as a perjorative by geeks who want to believe that all those snide comments directed their way are actually about someotherguys arguing about Star Trek. :P
    Not to be philosophical or something but, What is normal?
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008

Not to be philosophical or something but, What is normal?
    Normal means being in accordance with norms.

Merriam-Webster defines a norm as
    a: a set standard of development or achievement usually derived from the average or median achievement of a large group b: a pattern or trait taken to be typical in the behavior of a social group c: a widespread or usual practice, procedure, or custom
    Also note that ordinary and normal have somewhat different contexts.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Joe Normal
    30% Nerd, %39 Geek, %21 Dork.
  • I'm Pure Geek; 43 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 39% Dork.
  • Modern, Cool Nerd: 56 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 43% Dork
  • Modern, Cool Nerd. 65 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 8% Dork
  • I be a modern, Cool Nerd. 78% Nerd, 78% Geek, 47% Dork.
    I almost qualify for Outcast Genius, but not quite.
  • Computer Savant: 43 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 52% Dork
    If only I was more nerdy I could be an outcast genius! A survey wouldn't lie to me would it?

Also a warning to not fill in the 'optional information' would have been appreciated. I accidentally registered for the site after I filled that stuff out. Which is even more useless to me, as I'm underage and couldn't use the site if I wanted to.
  • Modern, Cool Nerd
    65 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 39% Dork

Compared to the other modern, cool nerds I got a higher dork and lower nerd and geek. I feel like the bottom of the barrel of the Cool nerds T_T
  • Modern, Cool Nerd:

56% nerd, 69% geek, and 39% dork.
  • Pure Nerd

56 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 17% Dork
  • Modern, Cool Nerd
    65 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 39% Dork

Compared to the other modern, cool nerds I got a higher dork and lower nerd and geek. I feel like the bottom of the barrel of the Cool nerds T_T
    I scored higher than a lot of the board on all three, so don't feel too bad.
  • Pure Geek
    39 % Nerd, 60% Geek, 34% Dork

I'm with Scott...I more or less agree with the definitions and have always thought of myself as more geek than anything else, though not to exclusion.
  • 56 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 26% Dork
    You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

I'd defiantly agree with Rym's definitions. By my definitions I'd be appalled to be called a nerd, however, by theirs I feel Modern, Cool Nerd is the best one.
    That's not to say that I haven't always considered myself a geek. ;)
  • 65 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 21% Dork: Modern, Cool Nerd
    Around to where I thought it would be. ^_^
  • I can´t believe that this thread is taking off like crazy all because I found and posted on it when it was a mad old one!
  • And so you post again, in the hope that it will work a second time?
  • I can´t believe that this thread is taking off like crazy all because I found and posted on it when it was a mad old one!
    And so you post again, in the hope that it will work a second time?
    . . .

****! I don't know why but I feel stupid somehow.
  • Pure Geek: 47 % Nerd, 69% Geek, 34% Dork
  • Pure Nerd: 52 % Nerd, 47% Geek, 17% Dork
    I'm surprised the Geek part wasn't higher, but not not too much so.
  • 52 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 0% Dork

Modern, Cool Nerd.

Wow. I'm not dorky at all. But then again I'm a very social person I guess.
  • Ha, the fact that everyone's taking a survey on this is pretty ironic.
  • I consider geek to be a pretty good way to describe me. It's how I self-identify along with writer, musician, technologist, and several other adjective which pertain to me.
  • Since several of my interests are in subjects thought of as geeky, I say that I am. Proud to be a geek!
  • I voted who cares. I'm simply proud to be me, alive and happy.
  • I think that there should be an option for the other end of the spectrum, specifically a "Nerd" and "Treading the Nerd Geek Line" option. I would probably be the latter.