This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nerd, Geek or Dork?

12345679»

Comments

• I didn't realize how old this was. But it says I'm pure nerd.
  • Hey, you know what would fix this issue in the future - and save you time? A more robust forum search function!
    I didn't write this forum software. Don't act like it's my fault. If anyone wants to pay my salary, I'll quit today and write the best forum ever with perfect searching.
    Not really suggesting that FRCF switch, since that's probably a huge pain in the ass, but Discourse is hot shit.
    http://www.discourse.org/
  • Not really suggesting that FRCF switch, since that's probably a huge pain in the ass, but Discourse is hot shit.
    Reminds me of Google Buzz.
  • Hey, you know what would fix this issue in the future - and save you time? A more robust forum search function!
    I didn't write this forum software. Don't act like it's my fault. If anyone wants to pay my salary, I'll quit today and write the best forum ever with perfect searching.
    Not really suggesting that FRCF switch, since that's probably a huge pain in the ass, but Discourse is hot shit.
    It's pretty good. It's definitely better than the vBulletins and PHPBBs of the world, but still not as good as Vanilla. It's made by the StackOverflow guy, and I'm pretty sure that he didn't know Vanilla existed when he made it. The thing I really don't like about it is all the karma system StackOverflow/Orkut-style nonsense. Focus on the discussions, and you don't need some artificial achievement incentive system.
  • Going by that posted article I definitely tend heavily toward "nerd," which probably shouldn't be surprising given the comparatively large proportion of my life dedicated to academia and classical music, the comparatively small proportion dedicated to my geeky hobbies, and my longstanding dissatisfaction with the way certain segments fandoms seem to put disproportionate value on novelty. Or maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.
  • edited June 2013
    Hey, you know what would fix this issue in the future - and save you time? A more robust forum search function!
    It's pretty good. It's definitely better than the vBulletins and PHPBBs of the world, but still not as good as Vanilla. It's made by the StackOverflow guy, and I'm pretty sure that he didn't know Vanilla existed when he made it. The thing I really don't like about it is all the karma system StackOverflow/Orkut-style nonsense. Focus on the discussions, and you don't need some artificial achievement incentive system.
    Holy effing shitsnacks! That last picture on their front page is enough to turn me from "mildly interested" to "not touching that with a ten foot pole". Every time I have seen that alert (and others like it) I'm like "Why sure, I am holding in my hand a device with one of, if not the best mobile browsers in existence, please let me download a separate app / switch to a gimped version of your site", and then I never visit their site again.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited June 2013
    Timo, I strongly suggest reading the caption next to that image.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Holy effing shitsnacks! That last picture on their front page is enough to turn me from "mildly interested" to "not touching that with a ten foot pole". Every time I have seen that alert (and others like it) I'm like "Why sure, I am holding in my hand a device with one of, if not the best mobile browsers in existence, please let me download a separate app / switch to a gimped version of your site", and then I never visit their site again.
    You probably should look at the text next to the picture. It, confusingly enough, says that there is no app.

• Slow clap for Timo the Observant, ladies and gents.
  • Slow clap for Timo the Observant, ladies and gents.
    Thang yuh, thang yuh, thang yuh verra much! I'll be here all week!
  • Apparently I'm an Outcast Genius, so that's a thing.