This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official Front Row Crew Wesnoth Server

RymRym
edited April 2007 in Video Games
Since many of you have expressed a great interest in The Battle for Wesnoth, we decided it would be fun to have an official Wesnoth server for your enjoyment. This way, it should be much easier for everyone to plan and stage battles with one another. Just select Multiplayer, then Join Game. Enter

wesnoth.frontrowcrew.com

The server includes a lobby and chat area where you can create games, join games, and simply chat. Whoever creates a game gets to set all of the parameters. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Alex is the official ruler and maintainer of the server. He is also now a forum moderator. His word is law (insofar as the Wesnoth server is concerned).

Enjoy!

Comments

• Oh shits!
  • I'll also note that, in the event of forum downtime, the lobby of the Wesnoth server is a serviceable chat area. ^_~
  • edited April 2007
    Badass. I figured you guys would do it, but not so quickly!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Badass. I figured you guys would do it, but not so quickly!
    We're Wily like that.
  • I declare the first victory on the server.

Forum Members Defeated
    Jason
    Sail
  • First use of the server:

• Well I guess I'll have to get started into this thing.
  • What is the max numbers of players in a single game for Wesnoth?
    Nine I think?
  • I hope this is still alive after my exams when I have more time for games.
    Nine I think?
    Yeah, it's nine.
  • I have come back from the dead to say that I shall fight and defeat you all in merciless combat!
  • I hope this is still alive after my exams when I have more time for games.
    Stuff exams, computer games!
  • Cool, I just listened to that episode. I have only played the tutorial so far.
  • About what time do you guys get on the server?
  • I check in from time to time. If anyone wants to play tonight, say around 8 or 9 EST, I'm all game.
  • edited April 2007
    Tonight at 8 p.m. EST: GN Fan Chat & Wesnoth fun.

Here's the Skypecast link.

P.S. I really suck at Wesnoth, so if you want to beat someone, here's your chance.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Great, that's like 2 a.m. here. ;)
  • Tonight at 8 p.m. EST: GN Fan Chat & Wesnoth fun.

Here's the Skypecast link.

P.S. I really suck at Wesnoth, so if you want to beat someone, here's your chance.
    And we are on!
  • Two disconnects means I won twice. :P
  • Hey, it's not my fault that wireless network sucks ass. Well, I guess it is, because I don't really have an excuse for not having my own wireless network.
  • edited April 2007
    Andrew/WaterIsPoison
    Sweet, sweet revenge!

Forum Members Defeated
    Jason x 3
    Sail
    Railith
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've been playing a game similar to this (albeit much simpler) called Dark Oberon. It's also open source, and comes with a map and data editor. The map editor I've never tried, but I have messed with the data editor to replace the BGM with some different music (you can use normal mp3s, wavs, midis, and others).
    The multi-player isn't as good as Wesnoth, but its a fun game to play.
    Dark Oberon
  • I've been playing a game similar to this (albeit much simpler) called Dark Oberon. It's also open source, and comes with a map and data editor. The map editor I've never tried, but I have messed with the data editor to replace the BGM with some different music (you can use normal mp3s, wavs, midis, and others).
    Dark Oberon
    Dark Oberon is an RTS, Wesnoth is turn-based. Yes, they're both war games, but in terms of gameplay, they are nothing alike.
  • Skypecast is still up and we just started a new game if you want to come, watch, and chat.
    Dark Oberon
    Oh, I've heard of that. It's a decent concept, but it looked to be in the early stages, before games get good...
    But yeah, nothing like this gem.
  • Is there a way to connect to the server with the updated 1.2.4 client?
  • edited April 2007
    Is there a way to connect to the server with the updated 1.2.4 client?
    Wait for the server to be upgraded to 1.2.4 or use 1.2.3. One problem of Wesnoth is that if the client and server versions aren't exactly identical, then it won't let you connect. I think they should really have some backwards compatibility modes to solve this problem. If someone with 1.5.0 connects to a server with 1.2.3, it should default to everyone using the lowest common denominator. Sadly, this isn't the case and you just have to suck it up.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I see. It's not a big deal. I just assumed there was some kind of backward compatibility. And all I needed was to configure a file to let it do so. Guess not.
  • For the moment, at least, I have no plans to upgrade the server to 1.2.4, as I would prefer not to break compatibility with the many 1.2.3 clients in use by forum folks without . This may change in the future, but for the time being your best bet would be to download the older client.