This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Caffeine

edited May 2007 in Everything Else
Caffeine: The geek's best friend. I feel it is important to honor this molecule with it's own thread.

Comments

• Obviously, I don't drink caffeinated beverages such as soda or coffee. Although, I may ingest it when it is contained in chocolate of some form. Regardless, it is not my friend.
  • Obviously, I don't drink caffeinated beverages such as soda or coffee. Although, I may ingest it when it is contained in chocolate of some form. Regardless, it is not my friend.
    Ok, Mr. I-have-bitter-feelings-about-just-about-everything.
  • edited May 2007
    Caffeine sucks when you stop taking it cold turkey you get ugly major headaches and such. I'm addicted to it though for better or for worse. I've tried herbal type caffeine stuff but they just aren't as good. I used to take ephedrine before it got pulled from the shelves. Even though I never did or would ever smoke meth, taking ephedrine felt like the closest thing to what smoking meth would be like.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I have that image on a shirt.

But anyway, caffeine is a good thing when taken correctly, ie tea. Tea is the best way to have caffeine because there is more then enough of it in there for what you need. Plus, unlike caffeine in sodas, coffee and other such products and drinks, the caffeine is actually released over time rather then all at once. So one or two cups of tea could replace 4 to 6 sodas or whatnot.
  • I wish caffeine content was labeled. I like to know if there are drugs in my food.
  • I wish caffeine content was labeled. I like to know if there are drugs in my food.
    Like, you mean how much caffeine? Because caffeine is labeled.
  • Speaking of which, this thread totally reminded me that I have a case of Redbull in the fridge at work.
  • edited May 2007
    I am completely addicted to caffeine,I go a day without it I am completely on edge and rather hostile. In fact I can recall snapping at people on several occasions for no reason besides that what so ever besides lack of caffeine.
    Post edited by lorddragonslayer on
    Like, you mean how much caffeine? Because caffeineislabeled.
    Yeah, I'd like to know the amount of caffeine. Is it labeled at all though? Shows you how clueless I am. I've seen products labeled as being caffeine free, but I was not aware that you had to disclose on the label if your product contained caffeine.
  • edited May 2007
    Huh... there is a regulation. 150mg is absurdly high, though. Jolt only has 71mg.

I'd like to know the exact amount of caffeine even if it's less than 150mg.

How does caffeine get in soda? Do they add it on purpose, or is it found naturally in the ingredients that would have gone into soda anyway?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited May 2007
    I found this website that lists a bunch of products and how much caffeine is in it. I find it to be rather interesting.
    List
    Post edited by lorddragonslayer on
  • Read another very interesting tidbit about caffeine today. Since it can trigger the release of adrenaline, it can actually lead to an enhanced memory of things experienced/studied during the time after its consumption.

This is a side-effect of the adrenaline release, not a direct effect of the caffeine, demonstrated by how the body retains memories of fight-or-flight moments better than boring moments. For instance, people tend to remember the explicit details of where they were, what they were doing, when they are given an adrenaline-releasing bit of shocking news (like being told someone extremely famous or a loved one has unexpectedly passed away)
  • Caffine just doesn't work for me. In retrospect I don't think it ever did.
  • I'm currently winding myself down from caffeine usage to quit entirely. Or at least quit daily consumption.
  • Heh. Totally relevant from Wasted Talent
  • Ok, Mr. I-have-bitter-feelings-about-just-about-everything.
    Maybe Scott's just grouchy from extended lack of caffiene.
  • @Ro

That really defines the funky chicken
  • @Ro That really defines the funky chicken
    Maybe I should have posted the original comic.

• From the list the soda with the most caffeine sold here is Pepsi. More then that just on energy drinks. I used to love mountain dew when I lived in US, Dr. Pepper is also one of my favorites, too bad.
  • Ha, a normal small Red bull doesn't have as much caffeine as a small coffee..
  • I LOVE the new drink at our campus cafe, The Freudian Sip. It's called the Minty Matty Mocha, named for our mascot Matty the Matador. It's So Good.
  • Lattes are really the only reason I still miss being able to have milk. Milk substitutes just don't cut it. Soy lattes are gross.
  • Maybe I should have posted the original comic.
    Much appreciated!
  • Lattes are really the only reason I still miss being able to have milk. Milk substitutes just don't cut it. Soy lattes are gross.
    Almond milk is the business.
  • I'm on day 6 of a caffeine purge. I haven't been irritable, just tired all damn day. The first two days I had a headache that was fine in the morning, but would get progressively worse as the day toiled on. I'm looking forward to that cup of coffee come wednesday.
  • Chocolate coated coffee beans are wonderful.

Does Scott drink tea?
  • edited December 2010
    Lattes are really the only reason I still miss being able to have milk. Milk substitutes just don't cut it. Soy lattes are gross.
    I thought they were great and they got me through the period I couldn't have any milk.

I really think I had so much caffeine that it does nothing for me. I need something hardcore. Suggestions?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • An Eastwood. Five or six (Do you feel lucky, well, do ya?) shots of espresso in 1.5 liters (size of a champagne magnum) of the strongest, darkest Turkish coffee you can brew.