This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RFC: Frontrowcrew.com Redesign

Comments

• Looks good. Please keep the, "Hello, I am the footer."
  • It is still broken as per Tasel's screenshot in the Safari 3 Beta (Version 3.0.3 (522.12.1)).
  • Man, Safari is such an awesome browser.
  • Doesn't firefox work on Macs? Why use anything else?
    Ignorance. Sometimes may be needed when speaking with tech support, who have liability reasons for only working with certain browsers.
  • Good work! I like the clean look, and the art is definitely awesome.

I'm still not completely pleased, though. With all the framed boxes with even more lines inside, I find it a bit cluttered. It could be because I'm not wearing my glasses at the moment, and my eyes try too hard to keep track of all of the lines. But there you are: Too many lines too close together everywhere. The design is basically nice, but a bit hard on my eyes.

I also agree with a point that a couple of other people have made: The background images are a bit too big. They would be easier to recognize if they were smaller, and would also be less in the way of the text. Again: It's a bit cluttered and hard on the eyes.
    I use Safari more out of habit than anything else. I have Firefox and it even sit right in my docknext to Safari... but for some reason I never use it.
  • Looks good. Please keep the, "Hello, I am the footer."
    I agree, but I am really liking the new layout. No complaints here. ^_^
  • Umm. That probably shouldn't be happening.
  • Umm.That probably shouldn't be happening.
    Ah, the ultra wide screen making everything difficult.
  • I, too, enjoy the footer. D'aaaaw, footer. :3

Could you make the background image blue a smidge lighter? I think it interferes with the readability of the test. At least on my screen.
    I also agree with a point that a couple of other people have made: The background images are a bit too big. They would be easier to recognize if they were smaller, and would also be less in the way of the text. Again: It's a bit cluttered and hard on the eyes.
    Yes to this.
    3) If there's any way to easily round the box corners, that would look much better.
    And this.
  • It looks good to me on my school's IE. 
    My only qualm is that the right side looks a bit blank.  Is there a plan to use that space on the right or could the tables be extended to fill it in?  I doubt it is for adspace, since you guys say you don't plan to use ads.
  • It looks good to me on my school's IE.

My only qualm is that the right side looks a bit blank. Is there a plan to use that space on the right or could the tables be extended to fill it in? I doubt it is for adspace, since you guys say you don't plan to use ads.
    You're the second person to think it would be used for ads. Right now I'm working on ways to center the design so that it won't look blank.
  • Ah, the ultra wide screen making everything difficult.
    Well, the site now doesn't do it. And it does fix when I shrink the browser window.
  • For the ultra wide screen problem why not create a wrapper with a maximum width so that the page becomes centred.
    Design is pretty good. You just need to get rid of all the lies.
  • edited September 2007
    You should just play around with using different shades of blue, black, and gray as a color scheme. I think you should change the background color it's slightly glaring.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I use safari only because firefox on OSX feels very sluggish. I tried camino, but I could not find an ad-blocking plug-in for it.
  • I love the changes, the graphics are much easier to see now and the page looks a lot less bland.

I do have a question though. The Tuesday image is a game pad and a Die for gaming podcasts. Wednesday is a superhero character for Anime. Thursday is a mic in a hand for "catch all" (rants). What's Monday? looks like a snake or something?

Oh and I agree with whoever said it earlier, the images could be a touch smaller. Other than that, nice job :)
  • It's the tubes!
  • I don't think the images need to be made smaller at all. They're not icons, people, they're background images. Isn't the whole purpose to provide detail that would otherwise not be there if a plain solid color was used?
  • 2) The headers on each of the boxes (Search, About, Poll, etc.) should be a darker-colored box.
    Agreed. It's a little too bland without any color. Run with that light blue that's going on in the background, it's nice.
  • Alrighty peoples. I made some changes, so check it out and let me know how it goes.

http://www.apreche.net/~apreche/sitepreview/
  • Again, note that I'll be altering the anime logo to fit with the other three.
  • Yea, I like this version a whole lot better. My only suggestion would be to make the top links rollover buttons. Other than that, it's teh awesomes.
  • Alrighty peoples. I made some changes, so check it out and let me know how it goes.
    So much more win that it hurts.
  • You know, I think it speaks highly of you guys as a community that you've, on average, provided useful commentary and criticism.  Many thanks so far. ^_~
  • It is the fixed and the win.
    I love it!

Maybe the GeekNights logo should be a bit bigger? I find the top slightly bland, but I still like the fact that it's uncluttered and practical. Very nice!
  • The new design looks much better on the bigger, wide screen monitors. Thanks!
  • The lack of boxes makes the page look much cleaner, and the various post backgrounds are kinda sweet.
    However, there's only one feed link. Are you going to still do separate feeds for each night?