This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Just learned that this crazy thing exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship
  • RymRym
    edited June 2012
    Because American football is far more dominant in the United States than anywhere else in the world, the United States did not field a team in the world championship for its first two iterations. The United States has fielded a team for both the 2007 and 2011 iterations, but with extremely restrictive criteria that make most American football players ineligible for the team. Despite the restrictions, the United States has won both world championships in which they have fielded a team.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Just learned that this crazy thing exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship
    Sweden 2015! It's vacation planning time!

• Wait a minute.

So, in 2007, the US won against Japanin a tight game despite the restrictions on players. 23–20 (2 OT). Might have been an awesome game to watch.

But by 2011...

The score in the final game was 50–7. That's some serious pwnage.
  • TO just signed a one year deal with the Seahawks. Have fun Ro!
  • While he's a good player, I doubt the Seahawks will get anywhere this season as usual. However, if I were to acquire tickets for a game, I wouldn't pass on it.

Nothing will compare to those free suite tickets I got a few years ago. A free catered suite to boot. That was fun.
  • Oh man, gotta love suite tickets -- especially if they're catered. I remember getting suite tickets to a Boston Celtics basketball game about 10 years ago or so. The seats were great, the suite was cosy, and the food was free. From what I recall, the food was nothing spectacular, but it being free made a huge difference. They were charging something like $90 for a grilled chicken sandwich...
  • Cross posted into Oppa Gangnam style thread

• edited September 2012
    My personal opinion on football is that it is a lot more fun to play than it is to watch. Playing football is an excited, highly-regimented team experience. Watching football is 30 minutes of boring, half a minute of exciting, repeat.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • My home team won the first game of the Regular season 34 -13. Go Patriots go!
  • My personal opinion on football is that it is a lot more fun to play than it is to watch. Playing football is an excited, highly-regimented team experience. Watching football is 30 minutes of boring, half a minute of exciting, repeat.
    I feel the same way about soccer, except I don't find it fun to play either. Football, on the other hand, at least has regular exciting bits, rather than often going full matches with out any scoring.
  • Not a fan of David Akers, but dat kick.

• My Ravens killed it tonight! It looks like we might have some absolutely great offense this year to match our always amazing defense.
  • I'd just like to thank Ro's Seahawks for kicking the shit out of the Cowboys.
  • I'd just like to thank Ro's Seahawks for kicking the shit out of the Cowboys.
    Eeeeyup.
  • I've heard about that. Wish I could have watched the game. The Cowboys are the NFL's equivalent to the Yankees right? Everyone hates them?
  • Not everyone. They are referred to as "Americas Team", which is a fairly divisive title, if you ask me. I'd say the Yankees equivalent in the NFL is the Raiders.
  • Not everyone. They are referred to as "Americas Team", which is a fairly divisive title, if you ask me. I'd say the Yankees equivalent in the NFL is the Raiders.
    The Raiders are not the Yankees. The Yankees are the classic evil team, like in Shaolin Soccer or Mighty Ducks. They spend all the money on the biggest name players, do all kinds of drugs and get away with it, and win too much.

The NFL really doesn't have that kind of team. The Cowboys TRY to be the Yankees of the NFL, but they aren't. They spend too much money. Their team is full of criminals and scum. The owner is an asshole much like Steinbrenner. Difference is that the Cowboys don't win anything. They haven't done shit since the '90s. Unlike baseball, it's a lot harder to buy championships in the NFL.
  • edited September 2012
    Also, Yankees fans are not like Raiders fans. Especially when it comes to dressing up. Google it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2012
    Well, me and Scott hate the Cowboys because they play in the same division as the teams we like. However, the Cowboys are a pretty popular team overall and because they were also held as the gold standard of NFL teams for a long time are despised by a lot of other people as well. At least that's my impression as an outsider.

If I had to compare it to teams from other sports, I think the L.A. Lakers in basketball (now the maybe the Heat) and the Penguins in hockey are the closest comparables. I know lots of hockey fans who hate the Penguins because during almost every commercial break in an NHL game, particularly those on a U.S. national broadcast, somewhere the Penguins or Sidney Crosby show up as the most marketable team. My biggest pet peeve there is this commercial, which would have been so easy to make about a general hockey fan who isn't stupid enough to wear a hockey jersey while working in his garage. Just replace all the penguins crap in his living room to iconic hockey photographs, like Bobby Orr sailing through the air and Ken Dryden leaning on his stick.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • If we really wanted to choose the Yankees of the NFL, based purely on winning, it would probably be the Pittsburgh Steelers (6 Super Bowls) or the Green Bay Packers (4 Super Bowls and 9 NFL championships in the days prior to the first Super Bowl). However, none of these teams have the same sort of "evil" connotations as the Yankees, and none of them can even be accused of trying to buy titles. They've just been really, really successful.
  • If we really wanted to choose the Yankees of the NFL, based purely on winning, it would probably be the Pittsburgh Steelers (6 Super Bowls) or the Green Bay Packers (4 Super Bowls and 9 NFL championships in the days prior to the first Super Bowl). However, none of these teams have the same sort of "evil" connotations as the Yankees, and none of them can even be accused of trying to buy titles. They've just been really, really successful.
    The Giants also have 4 Super Bowl Championships, but nobody puts them up their with the Packers because their championships are newer. The team is old, but all of their Super Bowls were during my lifetime.
  • edited September 2012
    Well, the Packers have won more championships than the Giants. They've both won 4 Super Bowls, but the Giants won 4 pre-Super Bowl NFL championships vs. 9 for the Packers. That's 13-8 in favor of the Packers in terms of total championships. Remember, the Super Bowl only showed up once the AFL became somewhat of a legitimate threat to the NFL before they merged, and then they actually merged into one big NFL the year of Super Bowl III, if I recall correctly. There is plenty of pre-AFL/pre-Super Bowl history that needs to be considered as well.

That said, the Giants are definitely a team with a history (and in general are) worthy of respect.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • The Yankees are the classic evil team, like in Shaolin Soccer
    Side note: Shaolin Soccer is a hilarious and completely awesome movie. I've watched it with 2 different subtitles, I think the first one was a fan-sub or something as it seemed to take more liberties but as a result was even more funny. I watched part of a dubbed version and didn't like it as much.

Now, back to your American football discussion.

• From my Facebook feed of the local Chicken Hawk fans:

• As a 16 year Texas native, I can attest to the Cowboys' INTENSE popularity. They have dedicated Cowboys stores all throughout Texas, and their fanbase can get quite rabid. Also, they beat the Giants this year, which was surprising and kinda awesome.

• Sit the fuck down!