This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• The Dolphins make me cry.

Even with all the hype about Andrew Luck, I hope they trade down and stockpile first and second round picks. So many holes on that team to address.
  • Forum search not playing nicely. There was a thing of the day once (I think), with a great college football comeback video. Something like four punt return touchdowns in the last minute. Anyone find that for me?
  • Tonight's Ravens/Steelers game has to be one of if not the best football game I have ever seen. That last pass had me right up against the TV, waiting with bated breath to see the outcome. When they scored, I jumped up in the air and hit my ceiling fan, but it didn't matter. The Ravens swept the Steelers in the regular season.
  • And the Dolphins once again manage to avoid the 0-16 season. In the span of a few years they have gone 1-15, won the division,and now back to starting a season with a streak of 7 losses.
  • And the Dolphins once again manage to avoid the 0-16 season. In the span of a few years they have gone 1-15, won the division,and now back to starting a season with a streak of 7 losses.
    We need Colts to win one and Green Bay to lose one to achieve parity.
  • edited November 2011
    We need Colts to win one.
    Only because I'm officially in Miamis "Suck for Luck" campaign.
    Green Bay to lose one to achieve parity. "
    You take that back.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Stephen Fry on college football.
  • @G-Men: Mess with the best, die like the rest
  • This year's National Championship just goes to show how much the BCS is fucking ridiculous.
  • @G-Men: Mess with the best, die like the rest
    Remember 2007. Lost to Patriots in last game of regular season. Lost by three, in fact. Gave the Patriots the toughest battle they had all season up to that point. Met again in Super Bowl and won.

That year they also beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship game in Lambeu in the freezing cold and snow.

You Green Bay fans had better pray you don't see the G-Men in the NFC Championship game again this year.
  • Remember 2007. Lost to Patriots in last game of regular season. Lost by three, in fact. Gave the Patriots the toughest battle they had all season up to that point. Met again in Super Bowl and won.

That year they also beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship game in Lambeau in the freezing cold and snow.

You Green Bay fans had better pray you don't see the G-Men in the NFC Championship game again this year.
    2007 old and busted:

2011 new hotness:

I'll take our chances.
  • edited December 2011
    Statistically Eli is also on fire. Probably his best season ever statistically. As always our team is destroyed by injuries. If we had a clean bill of health, we would probably have three more wins than we do. For example, Osi was out of the game yesterday. Even without him we hit your hotness in the mouth pretty hard. If Osi was in, we may have won the game with an extra sack or three.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If Osi was in, we may have won the game with an extra sack or three.
    Why didn't you say so? I'll just call Roger Goodell and tell him to give the Giants the win.

Crap, I forgot! I called him earlier and said since Chad Clifton was out, the Giants don't get to complain about Osi. Sorry about that.
  • This year's National Championship just goes to show how much the BCS is fucking ridiculous.
    While the BCS is a tragedy, how is this year especially terrible? A handful of bowls have bogus matchups, but who would you rather see in the title game?
  • Statistically Eli is also on fire. Probably his best season ever statistically. As always our team is destroyed by injuries. If we had a clean bill of health, we would probably have three more wins than we do. For example, Osi was out of the game yesterday. Even without him we hit your hotness in the mouth pretty hard. If Osi was in, we may have won the game with an extra sack or three.
    While slightly valid, this is specifically a bullshit argument against the Packers who put 13 players (8 starters from Day 1 of the season) on IR and still won the Super Bowl.

I'm not one to flaunt and proclaim we the champs. We ain't won shit. The players and coaches in Green Bay know that, too. Which is why I like them all that much more.

• edited December 2011
    Also

Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Statistically Eli is also on fire. Probably his best season ever statistically. As always our team is destroyed by injuries. If we had a clean bill of health, we would probably have three more wins than we do. For example, Osi was out of the game yesterday. Even without him we hit your hotness in the mouth pretty hard. If Osi was in, we may have won the game with an extra sack or three.
    While slightly valid, this is specifically a bullshit argument against the Packers who put 13 players (8 starters from Day 1 of the season) on IR and still won the Super Bowl.

I'm not one to flaunt and proclaim we the champs. We ain't won shit. The players and coaches in Green Bay know that, too. Which is why I like them all that much more.

It's not an excuse, it's just the truth. Some teams are deep, some teams are shallow. That's just how it goes. To win in the NFL you need backups who don't suck. There are are a ton of teams, and only so many players to go around.
  • Indianapolis wins. Green Bay loses? Do we have parity?
  • The best quote I heard from this week's football result discussion was that the upcoming Jets/Giants game will be like watching two dying people grasping for one defibrillator.

Also, if you haven't seen it, the last skit of this past week's Saturday Night Live was a fantastic football-related one: Jesus shows up at the Denver Bronco's locker room.
  • The best quote I heard from this week's football result discussion was that the upcoming Jets/Giants game will be like watching two dying people grasping for one defibrillator.
    That fat fuck Ryan is going to need a defibrillator if the good Giants show up.
  • Wired posted an interesting look at the physics behind the forward flip today

• Remember 2007. Lost to Patriots in last game of regular season. Lost by three, in fact. Gave the Patriots the toughest battle they had all season up to that point. Met again in Super Bowl and won.

That year they also beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship game in Lambeau in the freezing cold and snow.

2007 old and busted:

2011 new hotness:

I'll take our chances.
    Just quoting an old post.
  • edited January 2012
    Just quoting an old post.
    Haha, hats off to the Giants. They were definitely the better team yesterday.

A few thoughts:

The refs weren't very good. The non-fumble in the first half was questionable at best. The roughing the passer in the 4th quarter was the wrong call, and it kept that drive alive. Eli threw one away on about the 5 yard line that looked an awful lot like intentional grounding to me. Marginal holding calls went both ways. Not that any of them mattered too much in the end.

The Packers didn't do themselves any favors. Rodgers had an ok day, but his receiving corps was awful. 8 or 9 drops is way too many plays to give up. 3 fumbles to boot? Not a winning recipe.

Packers defense didn't play well. Eli was barely pressured all day. A quarterback of his caliber will destroy a defense given that much time. The end of the first half was atrocious. Clay Matthews seemed to be the only Packer playing hard on D. Several times he ran down a play from the far side, but he was about the only bright spot on an otherwise dismal squad.

Giants played well, especially capitalizing on the Pack's miscues. Hakeem Nicks had a hell of a day, and Eli was cool throughout the whole game. The defensive front didn't have a great stats day, but harassed Rodgers a ton. Rodgers had to scramble to keep a lot of drives from fizzling out. Rodgers was Green Bay's leading rusher. Usually not a good sign.

It felt like the Pack peaked around week 10 or 12. They held on to wins in the second half of the season, but that was just it: barely holding on. They weren't the same buzzsaw as in the first half of the year. In contrast, the Giants are coming on strong at just the right time.

We should see good games next week and the Super Bowl too.

EDIT: Apparently vanilla 2.0 doesn't like the <s> tag?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • That jpg is the awesomest.