This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Holy Shiiiiiiiit! Best single game of tennis I've ever seen, with probably one of the greatest single points to finish it off. If both these players keep it up, this will go down as one of the best grand slam finals ever.
  • Okay. When one game of tennis lasts 17 minutes, the rest of the set is going to suffer. Both of them played like shit towards the end. Still, if Djokovich sweeps Nadal away in three sets, that'll be epic too.
  • I would watch the footsball if they gave up their rules about drugs. Let the players juice the shit out of themselves. I want giant monsters on the field. And speaking of monsters. I need our level of tech to advance so we can have genetic hybrids of humans/bears or human/eagels playing on the team that their name is. That would be fuckin awesome and actually interesting.
  • I watched a lot of the tennis. Free live streaming. Other sports need a lesson. We watched at work!

Also, I have tix to Giants Monday Night. They suck, but they have a chance of winning this one.
  • I watched a lot of the tennis. Free live streaming. Other sports need a lesson. We watched at work!

Also, I have tix to Giants Monday Night. They suck, but they have a chance of winning this one.
    Is not today Monday? Didn't you or Rym do something like this a little while ago with concert tickets or something?
  • I would watch the footsball if they gave up their rules about drugs. Let the players juice the shit out of themselves. I want giant monsters on the field. And speaking of monsters. I need our level of tech to advance so we can have genetic hybrids of humans/bears or human/eagels playing on the team that their name is. That would be fuckin awesome and actually interesting.
    You should read (or listen to the audio book) of The Rookie by Scott Sigler. It features many different aliens playing the different rolls in exactly the way you imagine.

Tennis was worth watching. I was thinking, in the fourth set, "This is like Rocky and Apollo Creed." A few minutes later the commentators said "This is like Rocky and Apollo Creed."
  • Is not today Monday? Didn't you or Rym do something like this a little while ago with concert tickets or something?
    The Giant's game is next Monday night.

The Tennis still wasn't as good as the Federer/Nadal at Wimbledon a few years back. I think I'll be remembering that one even when I'm an old geezer.
  • The first 7 minutes of the Dolphins-Patriots game was awesome, before Tom Brady unzipped his pants for a 53-minute blowjob from the booth.
  • Tom Brady -- 517 yards against Miami. Jesus shit. I wish I'd watched that game rather than the GOP candidates debate. At least my blood pressure would be a lot lower, and my spirit wouldn't be so broken.
  • Yeah, watched the 2nd half of that Pats-Dolphins game, holy crap Patriots. Dolphins almost score with 6 minutes to go in the game but call a dumb play on 4th and goal on the 1/2 yard line. Pats take over and Brady throws a 12 yard little flick to Welker who runs the length of the field for a 99 1/2 yard TD. Holy. Crap.
  • A lot of the other good teams this year have taken beatings in terms of injuries, lack of practice due to labor dispute, or free agency. The Patriots acquired free agents, like Ochochinco. They're going to be much more dangerous than they have been the past two years.
  • The Tennis still wasn't as good as the Federer/Nadal at Wimbledon a few years back. I think I'll be remembering that one even when I'm an old geezer.
    Yup! Last night's final was a memorable game in the end, but not a classic. I preferred the Djokovich/Federer semifinal on Saturday by far. Still, I think this just cements Djokovich as the new dominating player in the game. Give Andy Murray a few years to grow up and I can see each grand slam being a tossup between the top four, as now he's the one who seems to be a level below.
  • The Tennis still wasn't as good as the Federer/Nadal at Wimbledon a few years back. I think I'll be remembering that one even when I'm an old geezer.
    Yup! Last night's final was a memorable game in the end, but not a classic. I preferred the Djokovich/Federer semifinal on Saturday by far. Still, I think this just cements Djokovich as the new dominating player in the game. Give Andy Murray a few years to grow up and I can see each grand slam being a tossup between the top four, as now he's the one who seems to be a level below.
    It's crazy how you can have two guys who are clearly above everyone else, and one of them is so clearly ahead of the other. How big exactly is the skill difference between them?
  • A lot of the other good teams this year have taken beatings in terms of injuries, lack of practice due to labor dispute, or free agency. The Patriots acquired free agents, like Ochochinco. They're going to be much more dangerous than they have been the past two years.
    I know it's silly to make huge week 1 judgements, but with the Colts and the Steelers going down the tubes, I'd say there's no way the Patriots miss the playoffs this year (which there wasn't much question about anyway). Once you are there it's anyone's game.
  • I know it's silly to make huge week 1 judgements, but with the Colts and the Steelers going down the tubes, I'd say there's no way the Patriots miss the playoffs this year (which there wasn't much question about anyway). Once you are there it's anyone's game.
    The Colts are down the tubes, but I'm not going to count out the Steelers just yet. I'd have to see them lose to worse teams than the Ravens before I say that. Also, Ravens are just way up.
  • It's crazy how you can have two guys who are clearly above everyone else, and one of them is so clearly ahead of the other. How big exactly is the skill difference between them?
    Thankfully there is an organization to keep track of this kind of thing:

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 14,720 0 19
    2 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 10,620 0 21
    3 Federer, Roger (SUI) 8,380 0 19
    4 Murray, Andy (GBR) 7,165 0 19
    5 Ferrer, David (ESP) 4,200 0 24
    6 Soderling, Robin (SWE) 3,785 0 25
    7 Monfils, Gael (FRA) 2,850 0 23
    8 Fish, Mardy (USA) 2,820 0 22
    I can't really say how this reflects player-vs-player matchups, but tennis, being an individual pursuit, means that the rankings are very accurate. There is only one person's fitness, mindset, skill, etc to track, rather than with a team, which constantly changes with the members. There is no surprise that the top four ranked players made the last four in this tournament, and that they placed 1st, 2nd, and joint 3rd (for 3rd and 4th rankings) respectively. If I remember correctly, three of the top four have also been in the semifinals of the other three grand slam events this year. That's a very close top of the field, and it only takes a slight edge over the others to get the top spot. Last night Djokovich was clearly the better player, and his fitness won out over Nadal in the end. But then against Federer, he really struggled, and fought back from two sets down.

I could talk at length about Combat, and how Jochen from Berlin is, by far, the best in the world. By far. To the point that at the EJC Fight Night Final this year, he let Alex (another awesome player from Berlin) win as many point as he wanted up to 4 (you need 5 to win) before then coming over and saying to us "Okay, I'm not playing for show any more!" He then fought back from 4-2 down to win. Easily. He's just unbeatable.

Which is super annoying, considering that I was the second best player for many years, and came 2nd in 4 out of the 7 EJC Fight Nights so far (the biggest and most prestigious Combat competition each year), 3rd in another, and 4th in another. This year I was caught out by an opponent I'd never seen play before, and got knocked out in the first round. What an upset!
  • edited September 2011
    Don't mind me, Just passing through...

Also, in AFL, this is perfectly Legal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Today was the best footballs.

• Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is beautiful.
    Jason let me in on the news. Dolphins lost to the Browns.
    Seriously. Every 1:00 game except for the Giants game was within one score with 2-minute drills in play, and the Giants game was still awesome because they were making a fool out of Philly. The only bummer is I am a Dolphins fan, and 0-3 means its over.
  • The only bummer is I am a Dolphins fan, and 0-3 means its over.
    It's not over. Buffalo is 3-0. Nothing is over.
  • Usually don't pay much attention to college football. I blame that on two things. One is that I didn't grow up near a big college football school, and two, RIT has not had football since the '70s when Tom Coughlin (current NY Giants coach) was the coach there.

However, there's a big game tonight I think I'm going to watch. USC (6-1) vs. Stanford (7-0). Mostly I just want to see what's the deal with this Andrew Luck that people will not shut up about.
  • this Andrew Luck that people will not shut up about.
    He's the real deal as a college QB. Now, that may or may not translate to the NFL but when you watch Luck, prepare to be amazed.
  • I'm going to watch this too. There must be something behind the hype.
  • Andrew Luck does look just like an NFL QB. Stays in the pocket. Runs away from rushers while still looking downfield. And he can throw the ball, even when on the move.
  • I watched the first half last night. Pretty good stuff! His only problem was that he was way better than most of the rest of his team, and because he stood out so much, the USC defense was all over him at every opportunity.

But I was very drunk, and it was very late, so turned it off at half time to sleep.
  • edited October 2011
    I watched the first half last night. Pretty good stuff! His only problem was that he was way better than most of the rest of his team, and because he stood out so much, the USC defense was all over him at every opportunity.

But I was very drunk, and it was very late, so turned it off at half time to sleep.
    You should have kept watching! It went to three overtimes!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I can't remember all the rules differences, but I enjoy college overtimes waaay more than NFL overtimes. It's a pity I was in no fit state to stay up and watch!

Wow, my avatar is all weird.