This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Via Boing Boing today, Wikipedia's List of Cats with Fradulent Diplomas.
  • This is a Rather nice looking Motorbike.
    Bonus - It's Electric, but will still hit 130 MPH.
    Awesome - It Has working USB ports, Wi-Fi, A built in webserver and it runs Linux.
    WANT. Taking one of those to DEFCON would be really cool.

I wonder if you could put a computer in a BMW bike. I've always been a fan of their sealed-driveshaft powertrain.
  • I'm not super up on my Vocaloid stuff, so I'm probably really late to the party on this, but these two videos of "Just Be Friends." A friend showed me the chorus version, which is just amazing, especially when compared to the original. I think the chorus is just made by combining a bunch of different amateur karaoke versions that Nico users have put out, right?

• This is awesome.
  • And really old. But still very awesome.
  • Yeah; I watch it every time it's re-posted (which is often).
  • Went to PMX today, fun times.
  • I'm going to grape you in the mouth!
  • Tentacle grape?
  • 11 (g)rapes per second.
  • Apparently from the same guy who made the NicoNico Automatic Mario...Comes SMRPG Automatic Mario...

Pure win.
  • Man, I should play that game again. The Super Mario RPG, that is. That was some good shit.
  • I went to the steampunk victorian cemetery potluck today. I wore my finest lolita and met so many people in the local goth and steam scene. It was a nice day weather wise and I ate a lot of yummy new things! I spoke with so many interesting people and took so many pics. It was at this very old cemetery with mausoleums and trees. It was very beautiful. I'll have to upload the pics for you guys to see.
  • Man, I should play that game again. The Super Mario RPG, that is. That was some good shit.
    It is quite fantastic. I was so ecstatic when it finally came out on the Virtual Console.
  • steam scene
    Interesting. I've never gotten steampunk as a subculture. I know what happens in the goth scene. What happens in the "steam scene"? As far as I can tell, it's purely fashion -- or is there actually a critical mass of steampunk bands or clubs or something?
  • steam scene
    Interesting. I've never gotten steampunk as a subculture. I know what happens in the goth scene. What happens in the "steam scene"? As far as I can tell, it's purely fashion -- or is there actually a critical mass of steampunk bands or clubs or something?
    Is there such a thing as steam metal?
  • edited November 2009
    or is there actually a critical mass of steampunk bands or clubs or something?
    If this was the case, that would actually be pretty rad. It couldn't be worse than goth rock. I want to see someone replace their guitar knobs with brass gears.
    Is there such a thing as steam metal?
    There should be if there isn't. DyingSkye, after you're done with hawaiian uke metal, get on this shit.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If this was the case, that would actually be pretty rad. It couldn't be worse than goth rock. I want to see someone replace their guitar knobs with brass gears.
    There are a few goth bands that I genuinely like a lot. I guess the thing is that goth was a natural post-punk progression, while I can't even imagine what the musical heritage of steampunk would be. I mean, as far as I can tell, it's just an visual aesthetic that comes from science-fiction.

Not to say that giant brass, steam-powered amplifiers with roadies shoveling coal into them wouldn't be awesome. )
  • The first serious business Hawaiian Uke Metal band should be called Big Kahuna Burger.
  • Actually, I just looked up goth rock on Wikipedia and I had no idea that The Cure, Siouxsie, and Bauhaus were considered "goth". I guess it's better than I thought.
  • The Cure, Siouxsie, and Bauhaus
    They are, but in a kinda proto-goth or mainstream kinda way. Like NIN is to industrial, except that most goths actually like those bands.
  • edited November 2009
    steam scene
    There are steampunk bands. Abney Park is one. Another I got introduced to today while in someones car. It's sounded like victorian era music that warps into goth rock. As far as I know a lot of the steampunkers are or were mostly goths so it blends. There's also people who read the literature, decorate and create things or like comics and anime surrounding the topic. It's another geekery.
    The Cure, Siouxsie, and Bauhaus
    They are, but in a kinda proto-goth or mainstream kinda way. Like NIN is to industrial, except that most goths actually like those bands.
    I love all of those bands, but compared to modern goth music it's WAY different. It's almost more like rave influenced with EBM and darkwave. Maybe the industrial influence is why as well?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I love all of those bands, but compared to modern goth music it's WAY different. It's almost more like rave influenced with EBM and darkwave. Maybe the industrial influence is why as well?
    Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've heard anyone who knows what they're talking about call a new band "goth". It does tend to be called EBM or darkwave, which are both a lot more electronic (EBM is arguably more industrial than gothic -- Front 242?) than traditional gothic rock, which tended to be lots of jangly flangy guitars and keyboards.
  • The Cure
    The Cure is considered one of the most important bands in the formation of the goth rock scene. But yes, modern goth is way different.
  • I love all of those bands, but compared to modern goth music it's WAY different. It's almost more like rave influenced with EBM and darkwave. Maybe the industrial influence is why as well?
    Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've heard anyone who knows what they're talking about call a new band "goth". It does tend to be called EBM or darkwave, which are both a lot more electronic (EBM is arguably more industrial than gothic -- Front 242?) than traditional gothic rock, which tended to be lots of jangly flangy guitars and keyboards.
    I perfer the traditional goth rock, but in the scene it's mostly the darkwave stuff. But bands like The Birthday Massacre seem to be a good mix of both worlds.
  • The 69 Eyes. Nuff' said.
  • The 69 Eyes. Nuff' said.
    I <3 them! I wish I caught their last US tour, but alas, they we're not near here.
  • Abney Park is one.
    Huh. This is interesting. I can't say I really enjoy it, but their microphone is cool.