This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• From article:
    Don't forget your umbrella (October 1981)
    The text at the top of this poster -- which shows Jesus overwhelmed with umbrellas at the Last Supper -- reads "Kasane-gasane no kami-danomi" (lit. "Wishing to God again and again"). The poster makes a play on the words "kasa" (umbrella) and "kasane-gasane" (again and again).
  • From article:
    Don't forget your umbrella (October 1981)
    The text at the top of this poster -- which shows Jesus overwhelmed with umbrellas at the Last Supper -- reads "Kasane-gasane no kami-danomi" (lit. "Wishing to God again and again"). The poster makes a play on the words "kasa" (umbrella) and "kasane-gasane" (again and again).
    I just love the "What the fuck is this? I'm tired of this bullshit." expression on his face.
  • edited August 2010
    Initial D on Hulu.

^_____^!!!!

EDIT: Some of the eps are...dubbed.
    EDIT 2: Phew, Thankfully all of the eps are available subtitled as well.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Jetblue Flight attendant quits in possibly the most amusing way ever.

Summary - Impatient passenger gets up before they finish taxiing, pulls his bag down from the overhead bin, and when the FA confronts him about it, the Passenger swears at him, and hits him with his luggage.
    So, What does he do? He walks to the front of the plane, says "Hey, Passenger who just called me (unknown)? You're a motherfucker. I've been in this business for 28 years, and I've had enough." Then grabs some beer, opens the door and blows the slide, and goes home.
  • He walks to the front of the plane, says "Hey, Passenger who just called me (unknown)? You're a motherfucker. I've been in this business for 28 years, and I've had enough." Then grabs some beer, opens the door and blows the slide, and goes home.
    "If convicted he could get seven years in prison."

Holy shit. I know everything to do with planes is srs bsns, but goddamn some of those penalties are a bit stiff, huh?
  • edited August 2010
    "If convicted he could get seven years in prison."

Holy shit. I know everything to do with planes is srs bsns, but goddamn some of those penalties are a bit stiff, huh?
    Yep - they don't fuck about at all, and they've probably gone soft on him in this case. If I remember correctly, for one example - if you assault a flight attendant for any reason, at least in the UK and Australia, That's a mandatory minimum of seven years, just by itself. You can even cop a pretty crazy fine for not doing as the flight attendant says - Disobeying the lawful instructions of the flight crew. God help you if you cop an unlawful interference with an aircraft charge.

He's lucky he didn't get more, as there are also aviation related charges that could be pressed, such as multiple interference with the lawful operation of an aircraft, but also Criminal damage(Those slides are not cheap, and it wouldn't have been usable again once he was done with it, one suspects. Were it a passenger who did the deed, he'd almost certainly be going down for longer.

Rule of thumb - once you step on that aircraft, whatever you do, you do not fuck with the airline, or anyone employed by it, because they will not hesitate to show you the rough end of the pineapple.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • "If convicted he could get seven years in prison."
    What's really sad is that knowing the way business practices run in the 'states, the asshole who assaulted the attendant dude with the piece of luggage is probably going to get off scot-free, complete with apology from the airline.
  • What's really sad is that knowing the way business practices run in the 'states, the asshole who assaulted the attendant dude with the piece of luggage is probably going to get off scot-free, complete with apology from the airline.
    Not likely. He's liable for Assaulting flight crew, disobeying a lawful instruction from flight crew, and it's rare for an airline to not even push for at least fines, in these sort of cases, if not for them to be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible - like I said, they won't hesitate to show you the rough end of the pineapple.

It's just that that guy won't get attention, because he didn't steal beer, swear at a whole plane full of passengers, blow out a slide on the tarmac, slide down it and walk off - it's just less interesting. He's a footnote at best.
  • Actually seeing what "blowing out a slide" looks like makes this even more awesome.
  • Yakuza 3 review as done by actual Yakuza members
  • Actually seeing what "blowing out a slide" looks like makes this even more awesome.
    They're also really fun to slide down. HOT TIP - When you jump, cross your hands over your chest, and keep any bare skin or your head OFF the slide, because otherwise, you're going to get a pretty bad friction burn.

Also, a 747 tail slide is about ten metres off the ground, and steeper than it looks.
  • He's liable for Assaulting flight crew, disobeying a lawful instruction from flight crew, and it's rare for an airline to not even push for at least fines, in these sort of cases, if not for them to be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible - like I said, they won't hesitate to show you the rough end of the pineapple.
    Oh, I don't doubt that - he'll probably get a bitch-slap from criminal charges. What I'm expecting is that he'll then turn around and bring a civil suit against the airline and the steward and likely get a settlement out of it for some lame-ass reason like "mental anguish" or some similar bullshit. You know there's some ambulance-chaser out there who's sitting there with a ten-foot boner with a summons on the end just thinking about this case.
  • You know there's some ambulance-chaser out there who's sitting there with a ten-foot boner with a summons on the end just thinking about this case.
  • Women quits jobin a "creative" way :)
  • edited August 2010
    Oh, I don't doubt that - he'll probably get a bitch-slap from criminal charges.
    I fucking well hope he does, very publicly. That'll cut down incidents for a while. Mate of mine's had two violent passengers just last month.

Also, for completeness - 747 Top deck slides are really, really fun, Some planes have wierd slides, like many of the tupolev series require you to pull open the slide bustle, lay the slide down flat on the floor, open the door, and then kick it out of the fucking door, so that gravity can activate the inflation mechanism. Or, of course, my personal favorite wierd slide, the Disposable Tailcone slide on the MD-80, DC-9 and B-717. What does that look like? Well, I'm glad you asked - like this -

Also, here's an A320(the plane he was on at the time, I believe) Main door instructional video, including a deployment.

Further, some aircraft don't have evac slides, for example, the Dash 8. Don't fucking talk to me about fucking Dash 8s.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    Further -
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So I'm a bit confused, did the FA exit the plane via the escape slide or the belligerent passenger?
  • So I'm a bit confused, did the FA exit the plane via the escape slide or the belligerent passenger?
    The FA essentially cursed out the passenger, grabbed some beer from the galley carts, blew out the slide, and then made his hasty, yet stylish exit.
  • Further, some aircraft don't have evac slides, for example, the Dash 8
    Are you ever really high enough off the ground in a Dash 8 to warrant an evac slide?
  • edited August 2010
    Further, some aircraft don't have evac slides, for example, the Dash 8
    Are you ever really high enough off the ground in a Dash 8 to warrant an evac slide?
    No, generally any plane where you can still smell the glue drying on the wings and the pilot is wearing shorts, won't have an escape slide. Also, it's not required if the plane is less than about six to ten feet from the ground.

Honestly, as much as that dude was unprofessional, and way, way over-reacted, let's face it - He grabbed a beer, told the entire plane to F#ck off, and jettisoned out the emergency slide. Don’t tell me that’s not awesome.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It is quitting in the most epic way possible.
  • A three-fer on my ToTDs:

IPv6 may solve some problems, but the security sucks. A topic that crossed my mind more than once when Rym and Scott would go off on their IPv6 tangents.

Dot Matrix printers can provide sidestream info that could reveal what they're printing. Let's hear it for old-school tech getting hacked in new ways, eh?

More Verizon iPhone rumors surface. Mayhap I'll wait until January to re-up my Verizon contract instead of doing it in December.
  • It is quitting in the most epic way possible.
    I dunno, he quit a plane while it was still on the ground.
  • Every time I see something like that, I'm reminded of Cool Frog and Dophin:
  • The key songs in most of my DJ-ing playlists in one mix (except the last three songs).

His transitions aren't very smooth. but the music is nice.