This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• A friend of mine is setting up an interesting Writing/Kickstart Program: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997188066/366-to-vati

Basically it's like a submitting plans, ideas, storylines to a Choose Your Own Adventure type book. I wanna back my friend up, because how tough publishing is, but thought I'd show other people here.
  • I woke up in a horrible mood. Then shadoworc reminded me about the parade. And then these guys came on:

Today is now good.
  • Australia has just amended the Family Tax Benefits Scheme, which can be summarized as thus - If you don't vaccinate your children, you don't get Family Tax Benefits.
  • Noice wan bruva!
  • Noice wan bruva!
    I can't not put this here now

• edited November 2011
    So, this bloke goes about attaching helicopters to household items.

Post edited by Churba on
  • My folks renewed their vows today. In a voodoo ceremony. At a doughnut shop. Whose patron saint is Kenny Rogers.
  • My folks renewed their vows today. In a voodoo ceremony. At a doughnut shop. Whose patron saint is Kenny Rogers.
    I was concerned until you got to Kenny Rogers.

Was this the crazy doughnut shop in Seattle with bacon doughnuts and whatnot?
  • edited November 2011
    I was thinking the shops in Oregon called Voodoo Doughnuts. There doughnuts look like heart attacks.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I was thinking the shops in Oregon called Voodoo Doughnuts. There doughnuts look like heart attacks.
    Bacon donut, procured by me at said shop in November of 2009:

• I was thinking the shops in Oregon called Voodoo Doughnuts. There doughnuts look like heart attacks.
    Hush, you. Bacon Maple Bars are amazing.
    Bacon donut, procured by me at said shop in November of 2009:

Where is the doughnut?

• So, this bloke goes about attaching helicopters to household items.
    OMG! Why is that guy not wearing safety glasses!!!!
  • edited November 2011

Now I want a bunny secretary.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I am a good tour guide, it seems. My uncle's business partner, who's Korean, ended up loving this city and enjoyed everything he saw and did.

So now you know, guys, that if you ever come down (or up) to Colombia, I can guide you around Bogotá with ease.
  • The exchange student who lived at my parents house while I was in college was from Bogata. I remember that he had the best recipe from his mom for this Columbian stew with a bunch of stuff in it, and my mom learned to make it too. It was sad, though, because a month before he was scheduled to go home, his aunt was robbed and murdered, so he had to go back early. He had tried really hard to introduce the other students at my high school (who aren't very worldly) to Columbian culture, and get them interested, but then after the tragedy they went back to thinking that it was just a dangerous country. My Aunt has been to Columbia and she had a really good time for the few weeks she spent there. I need to ask you honestly, how dangerous is your city, really? Personal experience has made me both interested and wary.
  • I hear they have very stylish neckties.
  • I need to ask you honestly, how dangerous is your city, really? Personal experience has made me both interested and wary.
    I don't know what her experience has been like, but I can tell you about my family's. My dad lived there with his grandparents and his little brother (my uncle) for several years as a boy; he says it was really nice around that time, and our family doesn't have any negative experiences. Everyone left for reasons unrelated to the drug violence or FARC. My family was still returning for visits as late as the late 80s and early 90s; when the last of our family was no longer in Colombia, they stopped going. My grandmother still raves about how beautiful the entire country is, and I have some close Colombian friends from high school who go to Bogota pretty regularly and say that it's no more dangerous than New York or Washington DC (something the crime rate statistics support). I've been advised to go, but to go with a friend, and to make sure you never take an unlicensed cab or walk around the city alone at night. That's pretty good advice most anywhere.

I'm hoping to make it there sometime soon; for all the time I've spent in Spain, I've never been in Colombia even once.

There's a place in Austin, TX actually called "Gordough's" and their donuts are on that level.

• So, this bloke goes about attaching helicopters to household items.

I hope I'm not the only person thinking of the movie "Batteries Not Included".
  • @gomidog: What WindUpBird said is true (I live in Bogotá). While it was really dangerous before, things have improved a lot, and as long as you can go around with someone who knows the city, you should be okay. As my uncle (who lives in Miami) says: Bogotá is no more dangerous than New York.

Security in Colombia has improved a lot thanks to the last prez we had, and it's safer to travel around than how it was in the 90's. We still have guerrilla issues but they're considerably diminished. So if any of you guys do think about coming here (particularly Bogotá), tell me.

Also, @KapitänTim: That's not a very nice thing to say, to be honest.
  • Most of my travelling is throughout Asia but I am keen for a south America trip at some point! It is always great to hear from people already on the ground as to the real conditions of an area.

In Laos, everything is awesome, everyone is laid back and chill, and the guards present at our dig were friendlier than any security I have encountered anywhere else in the world. That may not be a good thing for 'security', but it makes for a more enjoyable trip. These friendly gentlemen below (Anasoun, Kual and Kit) were a trip highlight and when not standing around looking intimidating (?) could cook up a mean chilly-and-rice-river-fish-thing soup that burns several months later... +++ Would buy from again.

Air Force Academy adapts to pagans, druids, witches and Wiccans
    Reporting from Colorado Springs, Colo.— In the still of a cold November evening, a small gathering of pagans, led by two witches, begins preparations for the coming winter solstice. But these are not just any pagans, and this is not just any setting. They are future officers of the United States Air Force practicing their faith in the basement of the Air Force Academy's cadet chapel.

Their ranks are slim. According to the academy's enrollment records, only three of 4,300 cadets identified themselves as pagans, followers of an ancient religion that generally does not worship a single god and considers all things in nature interconnected.

Still, the academy this year dedicated an $80,000 outdoor worship center — a small Stonehenge-like circle of boulders with propane fire pit — high on a hill for the handful of current or future cadets whose religions fall under the broad category of "Earth-based." Those include pagans, Wiccans, druids, witches and followers of Native American faiths.
  • Woah, nice! Once again, I like the Air Force.