This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

and many more.
    I don't think Bernie Parent signed up for that.
  • Buzz Aldrin Space Rainbow Tennis is the best.
  • Saw my best friend again. Hadn't seen him since last year, before he left for Buenos Aires (and came back). That made my day. And later, I went out with another of my friends who recently turned 25 and treated him to a good round in a video arcade and went bowling. We had a ton of fun, though we're not too great at bowling.

I hope I can go out more often in this fashion: Just plain hanging out, with no other intentions.
  • Ah, Citizen Ken.
  • Got a Razer Sphex. Good lord, it's some kind of witchcraft.
  • STANTON — The United States is fighting terrorism — one snow cone at a time.

Montcalm County recently received a $900 Arctic Blast Sno-Cone machine.

The West Michigan Shoreline Regional Development Commission (WMSRDC) is a federal- and state-designated agency responsible for managing and administrating the homeland security program in Montcalm County and 12 other counties.

The WMSRDC recently purchased and transferred homeland security equipment to these counties — including 13 snow cone machines at a total cost of $11,700.

http://thedailynews.cc/2011/12/03/montcalm-county-gets-homeland-security-snow-cone-machine/

The flavors all correspond to the old colored-status-alert system. "I'll have the terrified tangerine, please!"
  • edited January 2012
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Definitely a thing of my day. Even if you support the KKK, this is hilarious:

Black church now owns KKK property
  • Even if you support the KKK, this is hilarious:
    So we have any of those here?

• Even if you support the KKK, this is hilarious:
    So we have any of those here?

Do you not?

• Downloading the driver for my fancy, schmancy GTX 560 Ti. Beautiful gaming, incoming!
  • http://lysol-jones.deviantart.com/art/Extra-Value-Combo-Alpha-66945355

I will PAY someone to make this game.
    When I first saw Ronald I was expecting to see Dr. McNinja in the roster somewhere.
  • Just an Ex-prime minister enjoying a quiet beer.
  • 3d painting
  • I got this email this morning:
    Adopt a bunny! The black rabbit was supposedly "male", but somebody got that wrong. The baby bunnies (did I mention they are adorable?) will be weaned by the end of February.

Anyone in NYC want a baby bunny?
  • While interesting, it's not difficult to construct classifiers to ignore such techniques.
  • While interesting, it's not difficult to construct classifiers to ignore such techniques.
    This is why you use LCD panes and build a scramble suit.
    True, but it's unlikely that vendors of facial recognition systems would devote the time to adding those features unless a large enough percent of the population was using them to not have such tactics already make a person look suspicious. And I like the idea of so many people walking around looking like they just fell out of Liquid Sky or Alladin Sane.
  • edited January 2012
    Not really since face recognition by definition uses classification techniques. In fact, coupled with some machine learning functions, it'd be rather trivial to implement a learning system to detect and compensate for anti-CV measures.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The problem with the demonstrated techniques is that they seem inherently conspicuous. Even if you fool the computer, these seem to stick out quite a bit at, say, an airport.
  • Awesome and more Awesome quotes from a great man.
  • The problem with the demonstrated techniques is that they seem inherently conspicuous. Even if you fool the computer, these seem to stick out quite a bit at, say, an airport.
    They do seem to be violating one of their own recommendations:

4. Remain inconspicuous
    For camouflage to function, it must not be perceived as a mask or disguise.
    But I think their work is best seen in the light of their thesis statement:
    primary objective of thwarting face detection under the guise of high-fashion aesthetics
    They don't seem as interested in (for example) thwarting airport security as they are in preventing automated face-tagging in Facebook and Picasa (though of course if the former were their higher priority, they might not want to state that).

For the second time already in 2012, I find myself thinking of a lyric from The Waitresses' song Jimmy Tomorrow: "It's what happens when your choices are narrowed to fashion or violence."
    KISS would have been the obvious joke.