This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• All of season one of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is up on Manga's Entertainment YouTube channel.

It's not listed in order but all the episodes are there.
  • I was a fucking hide and seek master as a kid. Sign me up.
  • Sure.. the country known for ninja are pushing for hide and seek.
  • Sure.. the country known for ninja are pushing for hide and seek.
    Hey, if it means needless violence at the Olympics, I'd definitely back it!
  • Scrym were right. Shower head. I hadn't ever seriously thought about getting one in a rental. OMG already has paid me back after day one.

• My Sunday has been boring.
  • Well would you look at that...
    Washington Post newsman Nicholas von Hoffman, this week, referred to President Ford as "America's Pet Rock". Ford responded by writing an angry note, wrapping it around his head, and throwing himself through von Hoffman's window.
  • edited September 2013
    This is Russian as FUCK.

Reminds me of Geekchats.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Speaking of Russian as fuck, I've developed a crush on this Russian woman at work. Egads, she's hot. And her accent? *shivers*

• Not a bad set of videos but glosses over a lot of stuff and doesn't really explain how much of honking dicks the Romans were. But that is kind of a standard as trends in history are very quick to blame a person rather than a state. Dependant on your point of view it can be seen as an inevitable clash between two great powers, or a squabble over land that got out of hand. Personally I the Punic Wars as Rome looking for an excuse to go to war and gain the riches that Carthage had. Their justification was shaky at best and they certainly did not help matters. Hannibal was a fantastic leader but the Carthaginian government was crap, it was because of this that Rome was able to survive. No joke till Scipio Africanas came along they were shit out of luck, even then he was able to capitalise on Hannibal's lack of support more than his tactical skills.

Also the bit in the first clip about how Rome was a dominate force for 700 years is a bit of a misnomer and open t heavy debate. A better argument would be to say that they were influential till 200AD at a stretch. Rome was certainly influential but more and more the city proved to be an awkward pain in the arse for emperors, that was till Constantine I set up Constaninopal fostering the East West split. That and the military stuff was still not the biggest but you had some big names but it would take to long to get into. As an over view and gaining quick knowledge its good but has some glaring errors that people accept as fact and causes problems down the line.

The History of Rome Podcast does a really good job of explaining it all in a little more detail but not to much. I would really advisee reading Livy as its not so painful to get through. If your on a history kick then read Thucydides for an over view of the Greek wars. And for sheer comedy Ammianus is one of the greatest spin doctors ever. He describes the Roman loss and Adrianopal as the Romans defeating them with love.

Finally classical history!
  • Well, Rochester is six hours away from NYC by car, so things in Philly and Boston are actually more relevant.

That said, I've been to that mall. Props to the employees for giving that manager the middle finger. Fortunately for them, that making Gawker means the manager is probably getting fired.
  • Pretty cool idea.
    You really think so? When it started showing up on my Facebook feed yesterday I was going to post it here in the Fail thread.

• I'm ambivalent. I like some of the concept, but all sorts of red flags are going off in my head about it. Also, working prototype or gtfo.
  • Ssupa-hawt
    Soopa-haut
    SUPERHOT
  • Ssupa-hawt
    Soopa-haut
    SUPERHOT
    That was really cool.

• I think phonebloks is a steaming pile of bullshit.
  • Pretty cool idea.
    You really think so? When it started showing up on my Facebook feed yesterday I was going to post it here in the Fail thread.

Yup. I like the idea of fucking around with the hardware of my phone, or only having to swap out the one thing that breaks instead of getting a new phone in its entirety. Absolutely not fesible right now, but I wouldn't mind if something along these lines started apearing before everything is GitS/Dennou Coil.
  • edited September 2013
    If you've ever taken apart a phone, it's insanely compact, I don't get how they're going to manage breaking that out into user manipulatable modules.

Also: Super Hot.
    Post edited by Omnutia on