This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• I don't know, NASA seems awfully confident in their scientific rigor. And they're proposing it works with a quantum vacuum so it probably has exhaust, just not exhaust we can currently measure.

I'm not so sure, considering the title of the report is "Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF [radio frequency] Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum". I have the full report in front of me as we speak, and they seem confident that they've made every effort going into the test, not that they're absolutely confident there's no error, especially considering that the null test article was manufactured specifically to lack the cavity slots that supposedly are what make it work, yet it still produced thrust to within 2% of peak power output of the 100% functional drive. Or at least, supposedly functional, but you get what I mean.

They're not just proposing it works with a Quantum Vacuum, though. They're proposing that it works via "propulsive momentum transfer via the quantum vacuum virtual plasma" - which is, to the best of... well, okay, not my knowledge, but the knowledge of my mate, a Dutch physicist, and Sean Carroll of CalTech, complete and utter nonsense.

Plus, keep in mind, we're not talking great roaring rockets over here, the thrust produced was about the weight of a grain of sand, give or take. While the conditions outlaid in the report called for a hard vacuum within the testing environment, according to the abstract, the test was actually conducted in the chamber with the door closed, but at atmospheric pressure. Even a tiny air-current could potentially produce enough force to give a reading.

There's simply too many questions, too much nonsense, and not enough data to form a firm conclusion at this stage - let alone a conclusion that would probably break conservation of momentum.

We should probably hope really hard that we catch Timo's attention, since unlike me, he actually knows what he's talking about.
  • I don't know, NASA seems awfully confident in their scientific rigor. And they're proposing it works with a quantum vacuum so it probably has exhaust, just not exhaust we can currently measure.

Yeah, but the articles (at least the ones I read) did say that their results were still being analyzed and it's too early to confirm them. You're right in that if this actually did work, it only works by taking advantage of all sorts of bizarre quantum mechanical effects (essentially interacting with quantum virtual particles that randomly pop in and out of existence). The law of conservation of momentum is a classical law, which basically means that when it comes to dealing with quantum mechanics, all bets are off as to how much it applies, if at all.

Keep in mind that, like Churba said, it's best if we wait for Timo to chime in here as he's a legitimate physicist (I think). I'm just a wannabe who used to want to be one as a kid (hey, blowing up matter and antimatter in particle accelerators is cool!), but just didn't end up going that way as an adult for various reasons.
  • Big brother sees what you're saying, without seeing you. (If he's equipt with a high speed camera)

• Can we make a thread called "Bullshit science reporting of fake, untrue, old or over-hyped inventions"?
  • I'm not clicking unless someone tells me it's not just a press release puff piece. Just the link text is waving too many red flags.

Here's the official document from NASA.
  • Then we should be discussing "Anomalous Thrust Production from an RF Test Device Measured on a Low-Thrust Torsion Pendulum" not "NASA approves plans for engine that could break the laws of physics".
  • In spirit I agree, in reality I understand what it takes to secure funding in an under-educated society.

It's something to be fixed (education) but meanwhile you work with the facts on the ground, I imagine.
  • Ocarina of Time beaten in 18 minutes (with commentary on how to do it).

• The full 1988 movie is also available on youtube.

• "not me trinkets" pahaaa

• One last hurrah, this time with money.
  • edited August 2014
    Because fuck it, why not.

They might not be fast, but they certainly do air mail

Post edited by Churba on
  • Not that I really explore the options for Steam that often but I didn't realize you can reskin the interface. Kinda neat.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/16/the-best-steam-skins/

I like the Air one.
  • Katamari Damacy Remix Album by Dj Jo [OUT 8/18] f…:

Damn it GameChops why must your artists be so good! @Rym‌ @Axel‌
  • edited August 2014
    MATATAT said:

Not that I really explore the options for Steam that often but I didn't realize you can reskin the interface. Kinda neat.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/16/the-best-steam-skins/

I like the Air one.

I like Air, Metro and Pixelvision, but there's no clear winner between the three of them. I think I'll just spend a few days on each and see which I like best.

Edit - A lot of people apparently also like this other yet-to-be-released skin called Pressure. Looks pretty rockin'. Browsing lists of skins, however, is an adventure in how much can be crammed into the spectrum between "This is almost identical, you just changed the colour" to "Oh god what the fuck are you doing please stop."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Pressure looks pretty spiffy.
  • Dammit Coldguy, I didn't notice that. This shit is jammin'.

• An awesome drone design.

Now if they can make one big enough so humans can ride them... (Seriously, these things look like fun!)
  • Kinda nsfw
  • Churba said:

Browsing lists of skins, however, is an adventure in how much can be crammed into the spectrum between "This is almost identical, you just changed the colour" to "Oh god what the fuck are you doing please stop."

Reminds me of browsing Winamp skins.
  • The Matrix sequels retold from a minor character's perspective. (It's strangely more entertaining than the actual movie.)

• Churba said:

Browsing lists of skins, however, is an adventure in how much can be crammed into the spectrum between "This is almost identical, you just changed the colour" to "Oh god what the fuck are you doing please stop."

Reminds me of browsing Winamp skins.
    More than a few of them straight-up look like old winamp skins.
  • Man, TF2 has really changed since I first played.

• Churba said:

Man, TF2 has really changed since I first played.

All I'm seeing is a 'rave review'.
  • Moved into my new place yesterday, and only a week to go until I start law school.