This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070918 - Team Fortress

Comments

• You don't know how many times I've wanted to shoot my teammates for not shooting the medic.

Also I've started to sort of hit the wall with some of the characters, as in I'm starting to notice their short comings a lot more. I think it's mostly because I've been playing a lot of 2fort, so it can become obvious rather quickly there as opposed to the other maps.

On an unrelated but cool note, last night I spied into the enemy Int room, and actually stood there for about 2 minutes with the enemy engineer pretending to be one of his teammates.
  • On an unrelated but cool note, last night I spied into the enemy Int room, and actually stood there for about 2 minutes with the enemy engineer pretending to be one of his teammates.
    I did that for about five minutes until I accidentally clicked my fire button and undisguised. :( I was just sitting there speaking on my mic to my teammates about what was in the Intel Room.
  • So, is there any easy way to tell if the guy next to you is a spy? I would think if you are using voice chat it would make the spy feature useless because as soon as you asked your team mate why he was in the room with you you would know he was a spy.
  • So, is there any easy way to tell if the guy next to you is a spy?
    Shoot any teammate you see in any non-combat situation.  Always.  Without exception.  Particularly engineers.
  • So, is there any easy way to tell if the guy next to you is a spy? I would think if you are using voice chat it would make the spy feature useless because as soon as you asked your team mate why he was in the room with you you would know he was a spy.
    If he is acting funny like trying to get behind teammates, he's a spy. If all else fails, just shoot him and if he freaks out, he's a spy.
  • If he is acting funny like trying to get behind teammates, he's a spy. If all else fails, just shoot him and if he freaks out, he's a spy.I once killed a spy who totally kept his cool.  He was standing near a sentry as an engineer.  I shot him a few times with the pistol slowly, and he just stood there.  I thus ignored him for a few seconds, and then semi-randomly shot him again.  Dead.  Spy.
    Luckily, the people who can keep calm when being shot are rare, and bullets are cheap.
    That's not even necessary. If you pay attention to your teammates at all, you can easily detect spies. It never ceases to amaze me how easily my teammates are fooled by spies.

Hey, why is that guy on our team not shooting? Hey, how did that guy survive running through the dangerous battlefield? Hey, why is there suddenly an extra engineer? Hey, what is that little blurry area and tiny puff of smoke over there? Hey, why is that guy running in the wrong direction? Why did that guy just blink colors?

If you pay attention to your teammates even a little bit in this game, and you aren't a complete idiot, it is virtually impossible to actually be fooled by all but the most clever of spies. Personally I can not recall even one instance where a spy actually fooled me. On the same token, I already have a bucketfull of stories where I'd be healing people as a medic, a spy would come in for the stabbing someone in the back, and I'd be the only person to notice. One round I had to kill 5 spies with my syringe gun. None of my other teammates even seemed to notice the guy repeating a pattern of stabbing/hiding/stabbing/hiding.

If a spy fools you in Team Fortress either you suck, or that guy is amazing at being a spy. Hint: 99.9% of spies suck.
  • If a spy fools you in Team Fortress either you suck, or that guy is amazing at being a spy. Hint: 99.9% of spies suck.
    That's because the Spy is the nubs class of choice.
  • Sounds like a challange Scott. :)

Being a spy is hard, all you have to depend on is tricking the other players as you have low hp and crap all fire power. But nothing beats the feeling when you get 4 backstabs in a row, cloaking then and take off without taking a hit.

I wouldnt mind trying a match against you while playing a spy, I think I could "fool" you a few times.
  • edited September 2007
    Also, when detecting spies, I don't think they get the same run speeds when cloaking that class as they normally would if they were real.
    Post edited by snookernet on
  • I may have to acquire a copy of this game. First I will need to invest in a good USB mouse.
  • Sneakernet, the speed changes. To see for your self run around as a spy, then while running change into a heavy, you will see a huge drop in speed.
    I cant work out if you gain speed when you cloak as as scout, but from my initial impressions i dont think you do.
  • If a spy fools you in Team Fortress either you suck, or that guy is amazing at being a spy. Hint: 99.9% of spies suck.
    That's because the Spy is the nubs class of choice.
    God, you have no idea how many spies will fail to backstab me, and then instead of running away and cloaking like a smart person, they stick around and keep trying to knife me. In the face.

Sasha likes those spies.

The spies that get me are the ones who managed to sneak way around me using invisibility. The disguise bit almost never gets me, unless they're really good at keeping their cool as Rym said.

Truth be told, I'm amazed at the number of people who just have no idea how to effectively play their class. I cry every time I see a shotgun-toting heavy.

• Sasha likes those spies.

The spies that get me are the ones who managed to sneak way around me using invisibility. The disguise bit almost never gets me, unless they're really good at keeping their cool as Rym said.

Truth be told, I'm amazed at the number of people who just have no idea how to effectively play their class. I cry every time I see a shotgun-toting heavy.
    You are a good heavy I think. You have no idea how many times I medic for a heavy, and the heavy doesn't cover me. I've decided that if a scout is all up in m y face, and the heavy is running away into the path of many rockets, I'm letting go and saving my own ass. Heavies, look at your medics and shoot people who try to mess with them. We can dodge the long range people, but I can't kill short range people with a healing gun.

As for shotgun-toting heavies, it sometimes a good idea. Usually it only happens when they run out of ammo, but there are a couple other tight spots where the shotgun can do you good. If there's one guy you've got trapped in a hallway, why waste your $400,000 bullets on hiim?
  • Honestly, I've tried the shotgun, and in most cases I find the minigun to be preferable. If I'm in tight quarters with a Soldier or a Demoman, I'll switch to the shottie to give me more maneuverability. If a Scout or a Spy is in my face, I just start firing the minigun and follow them. I've got 200 rounds of ammo; I can afford to spam someone to death with bullets. It's not hard to go back and resupply, especially if your Engineers are nice and build dispensers.

I do think I'm one of the better heavies I've seen; there are a couple of other good ones, but overall, I get the feeling I'm pretty good. I also don't see a lot of other heavies; is it unpopular?

I really want to try to master the Spy next; backstabbing people is a ton of fun.
  • The reason you need the shotty is because you can actually turn around while using it. I've seen too many heavies get taken out by scouts who club them over the head from behind. IF the scout is directly on top of you with the baseball bat, you can't turn around fast enough to kill him with the minigun. You gotta switch to the shotty or the fist to get him off, then continue the spraying.
  • I may have to acquire a copy of this game. First I will need to invest in a good USB mouse.
    What's it USB mouses have over normal PS2 mouses? I mean, it saves a USB port if you plug your mouse via one of those converters in the PS2 port.
  • My new laptop has no ps2 ports.
    What's it USB mouses have over normal PS2 mouses? I mean, it saves a USB port if you plug your mouse via one of those converters in the PS2 port.
    It's faster. Normally that doesn't matter. But if you are serious about playing an fps, mouse speed is important. Granted, a lot of those uber gamer 10 zillion super fast triple laser mice are kind of silly and pointless.
  • I will take an optical mouse over a ball mouse any day of the week.
    Of course, but are two lasers really better than a single red LED?
  • edited September 2007
    I love when I kill spies while I’m laying cover fire. It’s not like cloak protects you from bullets. My other favorite thing that spies do is come out of cloak as a engineer right in front of me. I wonder who they are….
    Post edited by Cremlian on
    Of course, but are two lasers really better than a single red LED?
    It depends, are the opposing players in the same room as you so you can laze them with your mouse after you get fragged?
  • Scott, Rym,

I just finished listening to this episode recently. I think I understand your concerns about the lack of flexibility/depth/options with each class as well as there not being much in the way of tactics or strategy. I gotta ask. Have you ever played Day of Defeat? It sounds like it has polished each of these issues. Tactics and strategy can be a large part of it play. The classes are less one dimensional without going so far as to overwhelm you with options. Anyone else play it and have an opinion?
  • I was a pretty good Team Fortress player the proper original one based on Quake 1.  It was virtually the only Quake multiplayer I played after I found it.
    Does this sequel match it to any sense?
    It was pretty nostalgic hearing you guys talk about the original.  I don't think I've ever played any version as good as the original.
    I'm really pissed that this version is trying to cater towards the console crowd as when I played sniper aim was so instrumental especially taking out snipers on the otherside of the map or virtually the whole team, I remember one time being able to keep an entire team at bay just sniping.  The red dot was always awesome it also helped locate the other snipers.  Getting the heavy soldiers crossing the bridge was always great fun and head shots were even better as it was always set to maximum gib when the sniper rifle had been "charged".
    Scouts have to be fast otherwise they're useless, I was a decent at scouting too.
    The only other team game with classes that was any good was RTCW: Enemy Territory.

• clx, I'll have to look into the speed thing more, but I thought I remembered seeing scouts running at slower speeds that ended up revealing themselves as spies. I recently started taking mandatory quick pop shots at any teammate that I was alone with in a room (IDK what I'll do if they turn FF on).

Playing as the medic has been frustrating for me, as every heavy that I've buddied up with seems to keep shooting at their original target and ignoring the enemies that pass, so long as they don't shoot, which usually results in my instant death.

• Playing as the medic has been frustrating for me, as every heavy that I've buddied up with seems to keep shooting at their original target and ignoring the enemies that pass, so long as they don't shoot, which usually results in my instant death.
    I have the same problem, but I've solved it. If I buddy up with someone who isn't doing it properly, I let them go and die.
  • Learning to play cool is key when playing a spy. I forced myself not to freak when shot, and it made things much easier when infiltrating enemy lines. There are a couple times I've been shot and done nothing, but look at the guy, and they'll just stop and go do what they were doing.

What's hard is when you have an engineer who stands near a turret, 'cause you can't attack him since the turret will kill you. So you have to sort of sneakily disable the turret then kill the engineer before he can knock it off or kill you.
  • Can't wait to play on the Xbox 360. If you get an enemy doctor to heal you while spying you get an achievement and bragging rights.