This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071025 - The Visigoths

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the Gothic invasions as they pertain to our own lives, including advice on hosting them as guests in your home. In the news, the US Terror Watch List is silly, and a scientist fights the co-opting of an old paper by crazy people.
Scott's Thing - The GTR

Rym's Thing - Dignity

Comments

• edited October 2007
    I once found out I was marked as a suspected terrorist. My family and I were going to pick up our tickets to get on a plane, and mine didn't print out of the machine. So we asked the lady at the counter why, and she looked on her computer. It said that I was marked as a suspected terrorist. She took one look at me and decided that it can't be right. An hour later, we were glad we had gotten to the airport so early. It must have been fixed, since I have flown since without any difficulty.

Edit:
    I'm 16. My youngness is a key factor in the story. That's why it's stupid that I would be marked as a terrorist. I guess I should have clarified, I had just assumed that most people knew that.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited October 2007
    Sail, not to be offensive or anything but your younger than me, right? Just to clarify. I'm 18 btw.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2007
    Watch Boston Legal Season 3 Episode 12. Shatner gets placed on a no-fly list and tries to fight the government. Best show on television.

Attorney Alan Shore's closing from the show:

The technology in this country is staggering! And yet, the Government can’t get their computers to erase my client from the No-Fly list. Even though they admit he shouldn’t be on it. Instead, anybody named Denny Crane can’t fly.

Now! Mr Winchell is correct, he doesn’t need me to indict Homeland Security, the 9/11 commission already did that. The American public certainly doesn’t need to hear it from me. No! What Homeland Security could really use from me or others, preferably others, is a little help. Why not get it? I’m sure Tom Ridge is a very nice man, capable too, as is Michael Chertoff. But I can get twenty thousand songs on my iPod! We have geniuses in this country. True pioneers of innovation. Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Steve Ballmer, If we could just round up some of our best Steves. We’ve got kids in garages inventing Google and YouTube. Jets can not only fly by computer, but they can now take off and land on auto pilot. Should we truly be stumped by this No-Fly computer list? How about something so simple as issuing a flyer's license? It could have your picture, fingerprints, you show it, scan the card and your fingers at the gate, if it’s a match you get your aisle seat!

This can’t be undoable. Expensive? Maybe. But judging from recent spending patterns we’ve got billions to throw around. Halliburton alone has profited ten billion from the war, maybe we could get them to kick in? Why is it our Government leaders only tap into the private sector for campaign contributions or to pass out contracts to cronies? Bill Gates is out there! Paul Allen! Has anybody called them? I bet Mark Cuban would personally fund the computer upgrades if you gave him free publicity.

Is it really against national policy to think outside the box? This isn’t about beating up on Homeland Security. Everybody knows they’re trying, I’m sure they’re good people, but they simply cannot dispatch a representative to this courtroom to say the problem isn’t fixable, while thousands of Americans are being denied due process. It so easily has to be fixable.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Sail, not to be offensive or anything but your younger than me, right? Just to clarify. I'm 18 btw.
    How are you being offensive? I'm 16. My youngness is a key factor in the story. That's why it's stupid that I would be marked as a terrorist. I guess I should have clarified, I had just assumed that most people knew that.
  • 16? You seemed older than me for some reason?

The visigoths. I actually thought before this episode when you mentioned them you were talking about geeky goth friends. I have a few friends who are goths but way geek.

By your definition of visigoths...I have some too and I laid down the law before.
  • Wow. I think the Vinegar Boy story should be required reading for all retail employees. That is an amazing story.
  • 16? You seemed older than me for some reason?

Me too.
  • Note: Scott Johnson has never wasted Liquor. That is all.
  • clxclx
    edited October 2007
    Wow, if some one had a rant about me like that before I visited them I would either be embarrassed for my past behaviour and be slightly quiet/uncomfortable, or if the rant was unwarranted I would be slightly angry/uncomfortable.
    Either way, I probably wouldn't enjoy the gathering.
    But I guess that's me, and by the sounds of your rant it was probably deserved, manners cost nothing.

Oh and the Nissan, great car, don't like the new style, looks pants compared the the R34
    Post edited by clx on

• Oh and the Nissan, great car, don't like the new style, looks pants compared the the R34
    Like I said, it doesn't look good, it looks scary. But I think that the intimidating look matches the personality of the car.
  • You love Badtz Maru! Awesome. I'm not the biggest fan of Hello Kitty, however when it comes to the other characters of the Sanrio world, I'm all about the penguin with attitude.

In regards to your Visigoths, I can relate. My bf is the DM of GURPS and has his friends come over for a few hours to do their thing. Before I moved in with my bf, I told him that he needs to make sure he tells his friends to mind rules of the apartment and whatever mess they make, they clean it. Also, they now remove their shoes before they go on the carpet. I'm islander/asian. It is in my genes that removing your shoes when entering someone's place is like a commandment. If one of the friends forgets the rules, I kindly remind them to fix it or clean it. However, on one instance, I just finished mopping the kitchen floor. One of the friends kicks over the cat food and it goes all over the floor. I was in the other room, and I happened to overhear him say "Oops, sorry cats, your food is scattered". Does he do anything about it? No. So I wait a few minutes. I come to the kitchen and see the cat food all over the floor. I then firmly say, "Who spilled the cat food? If so, you better come clean it up. I didn't spend time cleaning this floor for nothing." The perpetrator apologized and cleaned the mess up. Now, in my head, I wanted to say a lot more, but I held back. But I just don't understand how a guest can be so rude and not clean up a mess if they make it.

So far, things are going better with my own version of visigoths, but I'm sure there will be more encounters in the future.
  • Ok, back when I was a little kid I used to go to my cousin's house and we used to play our own games with our other cousins. But everytime we left her room was a mess and one time she just told us that we are not allowed to play there anymore. The house was big but it lacked the games inside the room. We could just take the games but then she would have to put all the things back on their place again.
    So we started going to my house and the first time was painfull, so I understood my cousin, so the second time I just put all the toys on a big ass bag and then put all the toys in my closet. Yeah I could have put the toys back to the shelves and make it look all nice but we had so much fun and since they would come back  again to play so the easiest solution was to put all the action figures, cars, legos (in a separate small bag). etc on the bag. Of course eventually like everything we grew up and we stoped playing with those toys/games and I let that bag sit there for about 7 years.
    On the last day in Peru before I was coming to the USA for the first time I went back and started to clean up and I found the bag and re-discover all the toys and this time I did put them on the shelves, and from what I have heard everything is in the same place I left them for the last 7 years. It will be nice to go back on Christmas and see all my good pals again :P
  • edited October 2007
    Ok, I just fnished the episode, and the last few minutes made me laugh and giggle to no end. However, I have a question. What are your (Scrym's) rules in regards to the Visigoths and the rules of the bathroom? I understand that when you gotta go, you gotta go.

A somewhat brief backstory:
    Whenever my bf's friends would come over, they would spend almost the whole weekend there. Sometimes spend the night, sometimes they wouldn't. There was one particular person, Dave, which I don't particularly care for too much. From my previous post, he's the person who spilled the cat food all over my freshly cleaned kitchen floor. For some reason, whenever he comes over, he also has some need to stink the hell out of our guest bathroom. This is the bathroom I use in the morning to get ready for work because I don't want to use the bathroom in the bedroom and wake up my boyfriend. I try leaving Febreeze in there. Does he use it? No. Also, I don't understand that nearly 9 out of 10 times he has to take a crap at our place! I just don't get it! It honestly boggles my mind. For myself, I find it rude to take a #2 at other people's places, unless it it beyond necessary. I normally try to hold it in till I get home, or use a public restroom. But everytime Dave is over, he takes a crap. Plus since it's my bathroom that I use to get ready in, I have to clean it. Which means I have to clean the toilet and whatever is left there. Not cool.

I've pondered this dilemma and thought out many different solutions. I've complained to my boyfriend and he could only respond, "When you gotta go, you gotta go. I'm not gonna tell my friends to go take a shit at some other place." I told him I get it, but I don't get how nearly everytime they come over, they use our toilet to take a crap. I mean, if I knew I was going over to someone else's place I would try to make sure I didn't have to drop a deuce over at their place. It's kinda in "Something About Mary" where Ben Stiller "flogs the dolphin" before the date. There are some things that you should also do or prepare for when going out. Anyways, back to my possible solutions, I came up with many things. I first thought of just going up to his friends, and just telling them not to take shits at our place, but that would only make my bf mad. So instead, when I know his friends are coming over, what do I do? I take away the toilet paper. Plain and simple. I don't even try to pretend to leave an empty roll there, I just take the TP off the roller and leave the bathroom completely TP free. There is a small hand towel for when they need to dry their hands and that's it.

So how did this experiment go? Ok the first time, a few guys just go in there to pee. Now I see Dave go in there. I think to myself, "Is he gonna take a crap. OMG if he does, I wonder if he notices that there's no toilet paper. Will he say anything?" He's in there for a good 15 minutes. That pretty much confirms he's doing the dirty deed. He comes out. Nothing was said for the rest of the day. The exhaust fan was left on in the bathroom and the door closed. This left me both perplexed and beyond disgusted. I kept thinking, how in the hell did he wipe his ass? Did he wipe his ass? Ewwwww! I don't tell my boyfriend what I did, and just leave it at that.

The following week, they come over again. Dave uses the bathroom again. Same thing. Now, I'm at a complete loss for words. He doesn't tell anyone that there isn't any toilet paper in the bathroom, and I knew he took a crap. The computer room is right next to the guest bathroom, and I could hear him tootin' up a storm in there. I keep thinking, "OMG, he left with a crusty ass. That's so nasty!" After they leave, I tell my boyfriend. He doesn't say anything, but he knows what I'm thinking and doesn't want to admit his friend is a nasty bastard.

The next week. Same thing. No toilet paper. Poopy times. Nothing said.

We've recently moved to a new place. The friends haven't been over much, so I have yet to keep testing this experiment. I'll probably leave the cheap 1-ply TP in there, but I think I'm come to the conclusion, that Dave is either a really nasty bastard or he possibly uses napkins that he keeps in his jacket because I remember he's a guy with allergies and always has fast food napkins on him. I really hope it's the latter.

But anyways, back to my question to Scrym, what are your policies on dropping a deuce?

(Yeah I know that was pretty asshole-ish of me to do this, but I just don't like it when people repeatedly use my bathroom as their personal crapper, plus this makes for a pretty funny story.)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • (Yeah I know that was pretty asshole-ish of me to do this, but I just don't like it when people repeatedly use my bathroom as their personal crapper, plus this makes for a pretty funny story.)You're a horrible hostess.
  • edited October 2007
    I was never trying to be a hostess, when it comes to his friends coming over for GURPS. I prefer not having company, even though it's fairly apparent that my bf & I pretty much am forced to be the hosting place. His friends either live with their families or live at a place where having company is not feasible. Always having company over can get old, especially when people treat your place like their own place and leave it like dirty. I'll be damned having to clean up after others like I'm there mother. I don't mind doing dishes and stuff, but I was raised to always clean up after yourself even if you're a guest.

There are times I don't mind being a hostess. When I do play hostess, I'll make snacks and be cool. I guess I'm quirky or whatever. Call me crazy, but I guess I just see a big cultural difference between myself and my bf's friends in regards to manners in being guests at one's place.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The whole shittin' at a guest place. As long as you clean the toilet if you leave...remains...and make the room fresh again then it shouldn't be a problem.

Your BF's friend...if he's that disgusting about it go to his house and take the biggest deuce you ever done. I mean spice that shit up literally! It's an immature tactic but sometimes those type of tactics are the only way.

He seems like the type to...not wipe. At least he didn't use your handtowel. LOL.

Now all this is way better than say...being caught in your house doing yourself or someone else. I have stories of seeing things....horrible things.
  • One thing Viga, I can pretty much guarantee I will never go to Dave's place. He still lives with his mom and 2 sisters. As I said before, my apartment is pretty much "the spot" for hanging out.

As immature of a tactic that is, but hilarious, I don't think I could do that. Yeah, I checked the hand towel, clean as a whistle.
  • Good. Again I have seen things...horrible things either being or having visigoths.

You know that word could take over with a whole new meaning if everyone used it enough.
  • In regard to the Creationist segment, please use "some" as opposed to "they".
    I know God created everything. I enjoy science, theoretical physics especially. You will not hear me say "look at this, see God does exist". God created us to worship Him based on faith alone. If he put a big sign out that said "HEY GUYS I'M OVER HERE" that kinda ruins the point. Even if He put small clues all over the planet it would make our purpose null. Christians often get over enthusiastic trying to "prove" the existence of God. Faith by definition means you don't have proof.

Even an infinitely wise being would need a method to create an object. Science tries to explain that method. We will never get to a point in science that proves God does or does not exist. We can only see how things are put together and why objects act a certain way. That is very fascinating in and of it's self. Anyone attempting to use science to prove or disprove the existence of God is on a fool's errand.

Finally, using scripture out of context is not Christian, it is evil. Satan used this technique to tempt Jesus. I have read the Bible, do I understand everything? No. I do understand the basic precepts of being a follower of Christ. Christians are not perfect, we should try to be but we are not. Please forgive my fellow Christians we get very excited trying to "prove" ours is the one true way. It can be a hard sell if you go on nothing but faith.

Peace...
  • I know God created everything.
    So, do you believe in the tooth fairy? Dragons? The flying spaghetti monster? If you don't, why don't you?
  • Even if He put small clues all over the planet it would make our purpose null.
    So you say that animals the way they are are no clue? Some people say every creature and thing in the world (not counting man-made stuff) is prove of Gods existance, every star in the sky, every drop of water in the ocean. If you believe in God, and that God created everything, isn't everything testament of his existence then? Making everything non-man-made a clue to Gods existance?

I myself am somewhat religious. Due to it being forced down my throat since birth, and my entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, the like and very very deep) believes in God. I however am leaning more and more away from religion. Either way, what are you thoughts on my previous 'paragraph' am_dragon?
  • Even an infinitely wise being would need a method to create an object. Science tries to explain that method. We will never get to a point in science that proves God does or does not exist. We can only see how things are put together and why objects act a certain way.
    Just to clarify, I think it's harmless to believe that a god set up the laws of the universe. It doesn't get in the way of science and observation. And you're right, there is no way of proving the existence of such an ultimate physicist either way. It's when you cross the line from deism to the observable. That's when science must step in and say that there has been no evidence in the history of the world that supports the hypothesis that a supernatural force is having any part in the affairs of humans.
  • Science can say that there has never been any empirical, reproduceable, and testable evidence of the existence of any sort of "higher power." Since it can offer other potential explanations as to the workings of the universe that are based on at least SOME empirical evidence, scientific knowledge generally asserts that any "god," at least as far as humans have portrayed it, does not exist.

This doesn't mean that there CANNOT be a higher power; it just means that one has not yet been empirically demonstrated. Science only believes in those things that have been and can be empirically demonstrated, so it doesn't believe in a god. This also means that no religion as yet has it right; the Koran, Bible, Baghavad Ghita, or whatever other religious text you want, are all equally wrong.

I'm OK with people who believe in a higher power but aren't douches about it. Don't force it onto other people, don't force it onto your children, don't put it in my schools, my government, or my science, and I'm OK with whatever you want to believe.
  • After reading this thread, I have a very strong desire to find islandergirlro's house and use the facilities to the fullest extent possible.

Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go!
  • The way to deal with people not taking responcibility for doing dqmage to your house is not to care. That is to say that everyone is responcible. It is the philosophy that I have taken in my classrooms, and has worked very well.
  • Science can say that there has never been any empirical, reproduceable, and testable evidence of the existence of any sort of "higher power." Since it can offer other potential explanations as to the workings of the universe that are based on at least SOME empirical evidence, scientific knowledge generally asserts that any "god," at least as far as humans have portrayed it, does not exist.

This doesn't mean that there CANNOT be a higher power; it just means that one has not yet been empirically demonstrated. Science only believes in those things that have been and can be empirically demonstrated, so it doesn't believe in a god. This also means that no religion as yet has it right; the Koran, Bible, Baghavad Ghita, or whatever other religious text you want, are all equally wrong.

I'm OK with people who believe in a higher power but aren't douches about it. Don't force it onto other people, don't force it onto your children, don't put it in my schools, my government, or my science, and I'm OK with whatever you want to believe.
    I agree entirely, except for one point. I will not dispute someone's right to believe whatever they want and say whatever they want, even if it is crazy Scientology batshit. However, I view all irrational belief as dangerous. Sure, the danger scale varies based on the specific belief and the strength of the belief, but it is dangerous in some form. I will never encourage it. I will always disrespect it. However, I will tolerate it.
  • So, do you believe in the tooth fairy? Dragons? The flying spaghetti monster? If you don't, why don't you?
    The tooth fairy doesn't matter. Dragons, while cool, don't matter. The flying spaghetti monster also doesn't matter. I think it is clear FSM was created by a man with a specific purpose in mind. I do not think that any intelligent person actually worships the flying spaghetti monster, or that a being as such exists. I'm not so sure about Creationism in school anyway, with our school system there is no telling what freaky cults would be running around. You should have asked "Why are you Christian?" that's the tricky question.

Nineless: It is easy to say "look around there is proof of His existence everywhere". When I look at my boys the proof is clear to me. If you do not believe in God the wonders of nature are not proof.
  • The tooth fairy doesn't matter. Dragons, while cool, don't matter. The flying spaghetti monster also doesn't matter. I think it is clear FSM was created by a man with a specific purpose in mind.
    Why don't they matter? Also, what makes you so sure that the Bible wasn't written by man with a specific purpose in mind?
  • So, do you believe in the tooth fairy? Dragons? The flying spaghetti monster? If you don't, why don't you?
    I do not think that any intelligent person actually worships the flying spaghetti monster, or that a being as such exists.
    The Earth is getting warmer while the pirate population is going down though...
  • Why don't they matter? Also, what makes you so sure that the Bible wasn't written by man with a specific purpose in mind?
    They do not matter because they have no bearing on my existence. Faith.

I simply wanted to point out that not all Christians are crackpots. Most Christians that get all up in arms over things like the story today either miss-understand their faith, or are just trying to get attention. This is just another case of a vocal minority getting more attention than they deserve.

And Visigoths have nothing on half a dozen 4 year olds. Trust me.