This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Anyway...so, what was your favorite part of the whole series? I'm sure we can assume that spoilers cannot be avoided, at this point.
  • Anyway...so, what was your favorite part of the whole series? I'm sure we can assume that spoilers cannot be avoided, at this point.
    Hmm...I dunno...It really has to be divided by category, I think.
    Humorwise? Sokka and the desert mushrooms. Hilarious.
    Actionwise? The entire Aang vs. Ozai fight, but primarily the part where Aang, in the Avatar State, flew at Ozai with all four elements around him, swinging his arms to do all that stuff. You looked straight on at Aang, and it was just great.
    Plotwise? Probably Zuko's entire saga, and the revelation that Roku was his ancestor.
    Romancewise? The final kiss, which was oh so satisfying. In your face, Zutarians!
  • While we're on the topic of grammar, I think that "'tard" should be written with an apostrophe.
    No, that would screw up the other insult, 'turd'. I picked middle ground.
    Actualy, come to think, it wouldn't, because turd isn't an abbreviation, but 'tard is.
    A contraction, to be more precise. Most contractions involve the omission of letters in the middle of the word or phrase, rather than the beginning, but if you take examples like "'tis" and "'twas" (though they are archaic) it seems correct to me.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Anyway...so, what was your favorite part of the whole series? I'm sure we can assume that spoilers cannot be avoided, at this point.
    I don't have a favorite part, but I have favorite episodes where they are nothing but awesome to me. I'm gonna pull something out of an old thread and use it here to sorta answer the question. Basically they are my favorite episodes and the reasons as to why I like them.

Book 1: Water
    The Boy in the Iceberg: I like it because it introduces the story, the Avatar universe, and the main characters in a (in my opinion) very well done and masterful way.

The Avatar Returns: I like this one because it reveals just who Aang is and clarifies his destiny to the viewer(s).

The King of Omashu: I particularly like this episode because it's humor and comedic timing are spot on

Avatar Roku (Winter Solstice Part 2): I like this one because it not only introduces us to Avatar Roku, but it also clarifies exactly what Aang must do to defeat Firelord Ozai.

The Storm: I like this one because it sheds some light on both Aang's and Zuko's clouded past and how they feel about what their respective goals in life are.

The Blue Spirit: I really like this one because it shows a different side of Zuko than we are (at this point) used to seeing. I also like it because it sets the stage for later episodes involving or hinting about the Blue Spirit.

The Siege of the North (Parts 1 and 2): These episodes are hands down my absolute favorite episodes in the entire series as of now. My reason for feeling this way is that not only is the plot spectacular, but there are many breathtaking and awe inspiring scenes throughout both of these episodes. It also introduces (not by name) Princess Azula to the series.

Book 2: Earth

The Avatar State: I enjoyed this episode because it finally reveals what exactly the Avatar State is, and what are the benefits and limitations of this powerful form. This episode also features Zuko and Iroh becoming outcasts to the Fire Nation. This is also the first time that lightning is shown as well.

The Swamp: I like this one because it shows who are the most important people in Aang's, Sokka's, and Katara's lives. This also marks is the first appearance (though not technically in real life) of Toph.

The Blind Bandit: I particularly enjoyed this episode because it officially introduces Toph to the series and her "unique" capabilities and style of Earthbending, and I thought that was way cool.

Zuko Alone: I thought this episode was interesting because it sheds even more light on Zuko's clouded childhood as well as Azula too. Another reason why I liked it is that not only does this episode set the stage for the future episodes, but it also marks a turning point in Zuko's tale.

The City of Walls and Secrets: I thought this episode was interesting because it shows just what a government is capable of doing when corruption and tyranny is at it's zenith.The Dai Li reminds me of the tyrannical government of China in the sense that they (China's government) will not stand for any action or event that will disrupt their ridiculous and ridged way that they run things in their country and what they will do to silence the people responsible for the "traitorous" acts in their country.

The Guru and The Crossroads of Destiny: Next to the Siege of the North Pole episodes, I think these episodes are both awe inspiring and spectacular in the plot. This is also in my opinion one of the most emotionally charged episodes, because Aang opens up his bottled up emotions and how he feels about all that he has done and what he is truly afraid of in life. I also like it because Aang officially reveals his love for Katara (not to her face unfortunately) and how that love is so strong that he at first refuses to open up the final Chakra, and that says something.

EDIT: I will do my two cents on Book 3 soon, just as soon as I can.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • By far my favorite episode was Tales of Bah-Sing-See City, or whatever it's called. Uncle Iroh was far and away my favorite character, and it really delved into his story (regardless of how meh and filler-y the other two segments were.). Other than that, I enjoyed the episodes with those female warriors, and the Zuko and Iroh on the lam episodes.

Honestly, from what I've seen of the trailer I anticipate a HUGE flop... Shyamalan was a horrible pick to direct, and I dislike the look of the kid playing Aang, in addition to my opinion that Avatar isn't suitable for live action. I like Dev Patel though, so maybe he'll do Zuko justice.
  • Actualy, come to think, it wouldn't, because turd isn't an abbreviation, but 'tard is.
    A contraction, to be more precise. Most contractions involve the omission of letters in the middle of the word or phrase, rather than the beginning, but if you take examples like "'tis" and "'twas" (though they are archaic) it seems correct to me.
    Yes it would. Tard is both a single letter misspelling for both 'tard and turd. As I said, it would severely screw up my intentions, the other insult, if I had just used the contraction for retard. Now you two, continue practising rocket science somewhere else. This threain jumped back on rails and moving out of the station once more.
  • I don't think that anyone other than you would see tard as potentially meaning turd, so it wasn't particularly effective either way.
  • 'tard, tard, turd. Does it really matter?

We're talkin' Avatar, here. And Lordyupa, I'd like to see what you think about Book 3, considering how deeply you went through the first two seasons.
  • 'tard, tard, turd. Does it really matter?
    We're talkin' Avatar, here.
    My thoughts exactly. I agree with what most people have said about their favorite episodes and parts. The story of Bah Sing Se was really good. I was started crying at the end of Uncle Iroh's story when they dedicated it to Mako because I thought it was very well done and tasteful. I am going to rewatch the series with some possible commentary action to see what was said.
    Shyamalan was a horrible pick to direct
    I'm not sure this was mentioned in the thread, but in the Book 2 DVD set, there is an extra disc with commentary by both creators and Shyamalan. I've yet to check it out, but it might give a better insight to why he was chosen. Just a thought.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    All right! Book 3 is here!! Unlike the last two however, this diatribe may consist of every episode in Book 3 since every one of them were either above average or just plain awesome.

Book 3: Fire

The Awakening: I particularly like this episode, not just because it is the beginning of Book 3, but also because it is very unsettling to see that Aang is willing to shun any kind of help to destroy Fire Lord Ozai. I can sorta understand and sympathize with his logic because he doesn't want anyone else to be hurt anymore. Also, it's very heartwarming and very jarring to see Katara noticeably showing feelings for Aang and also voicing out how she felt about her father leaving the South Pole. I thought it was very interesting to see Ozai for the first time and how he was easily led on by Azula's lies. Little anecdote for you all, I remember seeing the trailer for Book 3 and the shot with Aang waking up on the ship with hair, at first I thought he reincarnated into the Fire Nation because the way it was done led me on to that fact. Just look up the trailer and you'll see what I mean.

The Headband: The parts with Aang trying to fit in were alright, but what really got me hooked onto this one were all the parts with Zuko. We learn that he and Mai are in love which I was sorta confused and a little "eh" on, but I thought it was cute in a totally weird way. Also Combustion Man is introduced. To be honest though, I thought he was kinda lame because other than the beam shooting third eye, he felt more like a filler villain.

Sokka's Master: Not only was this episode pretty funny, but it also showed a more serious side to Sokka then we are accustomed to and I kinda liked it, but I'll never accept Sokka not being silly and hilarious. Also more digging into The Order of the White Lotus is shown. In Book 2 it was scratched on a little but we never got the real story, this just planted more and more seeds. I did kinda miss fat Iroh though, but I did kinda like muscular Iroh.

The Beach: Now this one is among my top 10 favorite episodes as more and more are revealed about Zuko and his friends. We understand why Zuko isn't happy about all the positive (or what appears to be) attention and still has some things to take care of. Also we show a (dare I say it) sympathetic side to Azula as she expresses anger and remorse about how her mother considered her a monster. Also the more serious side of Tai Lee was very jarring because I never even considered such a thing would happen since she always seemed to be a tagalong and a ditz, not that that's a bad thing though!

The Avatar and the Fire Lord: This one was absolutely amazing as both Avatar Roku's and Sozin's hazy and mysterious pasts are revealed for the first time. I'll admit one thing though, I was very shocked and really jarred when I learned that Zuko's great-grandfather was revealed to be none other than Roku. This further cemented Zuko's future joining with the Avatar and his friends and why it is his obligation to join and assist Aang in defeating the Fire Lord. I was very happy when Zuko realized exactly what he must do.

The Puppetmaster: I was really disturbed by this episode because of the revelation of Bloodbending which just sounds absolutely despicable. Controlling people's actions is one thing, but controlling them through their blood just really disturbed me. Plus it was pretty heartbreaking to see Katara cry after Hama announces that Katara became a Bloodbender.

Day of Black Sun Part 1: Other than the interesting and very well choreagraphed battle scenes this one is okay. I felt like the mustache on Haru was really unnecessary and it looks like someone sprayed it on him like graffiti.

Day of Black Sun Part 2: This is my favorite part of the two parts in the show as it had a very epic battle between the Gaang and Azula. The more important part to me however is that Zuko finally confronts his father and reveals his intentions and how he will join Aang to help destroy him.

The Western Air Temple: This is one of my top 10 favorite episodes of the series as it shows how Zuko goes about trying to join the Gaang . It was really serious and I liked it as I felt like THIS was the direction this show HAS to go into in order to close properly.

The Firebending Masters: The only reason I like this is because we see that Firebending isn't just the brutality we were more accustomed to in the series, and how Aang and Zuko officially become true Firebending masters. This reminded me of Indiana Jones quite a bit, and if you've seen the episode then you'll know why I said that.

The Boiling Rock (both parts): This is just an awesome prison break themed episode and it also shows a very important moment in the Fire Nation Story, Mai and Ty Lee's betrayal of Azula and how she isn't able to control everyone she meets. It's been said before and I'll say it again, Zuko and Sokka need a frickin' buddy cop series.

The Southern Raiders: This is probably one of the most poignant episodes of the series as it revealed the Attack of the South Pole and how Katara and Sokka's mother was killed in the fight. I liked how Katara had closure to this lifelong grudge against the Fire Nation.

The Ember Island Prayers: Whatever I said about the Omashu episode is immediately scratched off is this is the funniest episode of the entire series for obvious reasons :D But the seriousness at the end really made it worthwhile. I particularly like how a funny and lighthearted episode is the second to last episode, sorta like the calm of the storm.

Sozin's Comet Part 1: The Phoenix King: The first installment of this influential and totally epic arc in the show. I just sat through it waiting for something to happen, but when the Spirit World thing happened I was sorta taken aback and wondered where this would go.

Sozin's Comet Part 2: The Old Masters: The revelation of just what The Order of the White Lotus is revealed finally after a season and a half of sprinkling details here an there. Also it was awesome to see Kuruk and Yangchen in animated form after previously only seeing them in an exclusive Nick.com game. The real show stealer was the Lion Turtle and the revelation of Energybending. I don't consider Energybending to be deus ex machina because I knew something like this would happen about halfway into the series. I mean think about it, the Classical Elements, there are five, one of which is Spirit. The fact that none of you (if your responses in the previous thread was any indication) expected this to happen just saddens me as it was a foregone conclusion (for me anyway).

Sozin's Comet Part 3: Into The Inferno: The epic and fucking amazing duel with Ozai begins right here and right now!! I became more and unsettled (even disturbed) by Azula's descending madness as she bothered me from the beginning, but I didn't know she could go as far as she would. It hurt me and somewhat saddened me to see Aang being pounded on by Ozai, but the Avatar State couldn't help him.

Sozin's Comet Part 4: Avatar Aang: The epicness just truly dwarfs the entire series in this one episode. The fact that Aang suddenly opened his last Chakra and was able to keep his love for Katara just made me so happy. I cannot begin to describe how awed I was in Aang's most powerful performance in this episode. I will admit that hearing The Avatar Spirit's voice kinda scared me. My heart pretty much melted by the very last scene because it ended the way it should have all this time. The perfect way to close this series without question, no regrets, no nothing. The fact that Zuko declared an era of peace just really lit me up. The epicness was so staggering that it almost hurt. Although...................there does remain the question of the fate of Zuko's mother, but I assume the rumored specials may or may not tie those loose ends up.

Overall, next to Cowboy Bebop and right before Trigun, this is probably the greatest animated series I have ever seen in my life. From an American viwers' POV, this is to Nickelodeon what Cowboy Bebop was to Adult Swim: the best that this channel will ever get. The fact that it looks like an average shonen fighting show, but really isn't just astounds me. THIS IS WHAT NARUTO (or any other similar show) NEEDS TO BE!!! No filler, no nothing. Make it full of emotion coupled with some awesome choreographed and realistic fights that don't take 16 episodes to resolve. I really think this show may be one of the best children's entertainment shows.

This took me a friggin hour to write and my hands hurt so much, but it was worth it in the end. I hope everybody is happy with my analysis of the series as a whole and I really hope that some of it will make think about Avatar a little differently. It's not a kids show (although kids will love it) it has something for everyone regardless of age. And if you see adults just be Doubting Thomas' and just scoff it off, pity them as they are missing a transcendent experience. This show has made me laugh, cry, get angry, be scared, and more. That in and of itself proves that Avatar is a show that should be held in high regard by television history.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Here's another tidbit that I'm proud to announce. The voice actor of Aang hails from my home state of Connecticut!! Represent!!!

Also, you know what I think might be interesting for a spin-off of Avatar (at least a one-shot). Take the Avatar Universe, but put it in this cyber-punk or futuristic universe where there is bending but most people use it in firearms or something like that. Either way, futuristic Avatar show = super potential and super cool in my opinion.
  • Overall, next to Cowboy Bebop and right before Trigun, this is probably the greatest animated series I have ever seen in my life.
    Where exactly does Batman: The Animated Series stand on this list?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    Overall, next to Cowboy Bebop and right before Trigun, this is probably the greatest animated series I have ever seen in my life.
    Goddamn it! I forgot about that, yeah that's up there as well but I haven't seen enough of it. This may be kinda rude, but way to peter out and just take a very unimportant part of that entire diatribe to quote.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Overall, next to Cowboy Bebop and right before Trigun, this is probably the greatest animated series I have ever seen in my life.
    Goddamn it! I forgot about that, yeah that's up there as well but I haven't seen enough of it. This may be kinda rude, but way to peter out and just take a very unimportant part of that entire diatribe to quote.
    Eh, don't badger him. He brought up a lot of good points.
    Seriously, excellent analysis. You basically summed up all of my reasons for liking this show. The creators of it NEED to make a new show for Nick. I don't think anything will live up to Avatar, but who knows. I've been surprised before.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    Overall, next to Cowboy Bebop and right before Trigun, this is probably the greatest animated series I have ever seen in my life.
    Seriously, excellent analysis. You basically summed up all of my reasons for liking this show. The creators of itNEEDto make a new show for Nick. I don't think anything will live up to Avatar, but who knows. I've been surprised before.
    Thank you and I feel honoured to know that someone knows and feels almost the exact same way as I do about something that I love.
    Post edited by Geo on
    Eh, don't badger him. He brought up a lot of good points.
    Don't mushroom or snake me either!
    Seriously, excellent analysis. You basically summed up all of my reasons for liking this show. The creators of itNEEDto make a new show for Nick. I don't think anything will live up to Avatar, but who knows. I've been surprised before.
    Thank you and I feel honoured to know that someone knows and feels almost the exact same way as I do about something that I love.
    No problem. The show is great. One of the single greatest shows I've seen in a long time, and the best American cartoon I've ever seen, with Samurai Jack following behind.
  • edited July 2009
    Goddamit Yupa, you spoiled some things for me! I haven't seen the last disc, the whole of Sozen's Comet!

Okay, I am avoiding this thread until I have watched it all. Good day to you all.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Wha? There is no excuse, Emily.
  • There is no excuse, Emily.
    ...I know. I shall go rent it now.
    w00t! You shall not be disappointed on any level. Unless you're a shipper of any kind...
  • ...I like me a little Zutara, but it was obviously not to be.
    Ehhhhh....
    Okay. At least you can admit its silliness.
  • edited July 2009
    ...I like me a little Zutara, but it was obviously not to be.
    That was the ending I was rooting for. It wasn't so obvious since the Avatar is the Avatar and should focus on his path and not teh biatches.
    EDIT: I also thought Toph + Mai would make an excellent couple. They are both obvious lesbians.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I always have a soft spot for the bad guys gone good. Foe-yay all the way!
  • That was the ending I was rooting for. It wasn't so obvious since the Avatar is the Avatar and should focus on his path and not teh biatches.
    As did I. I'm still happy with Aang & Kitara, but I just felt it would have been cooler with Zuko & Kitara. But I guess now there will be an opportunity to make lil' air benders down the road. :P
    BLECCCH! I was gonna bring that up and moan about how stupid names like "Zutara" and "Kataang" were....but alas....such moaning is not required anymore.
  • That's just the custom, it seems. Naruto fangirls in particular are guilty of it, but it certainly isn't exclusive to them.
    Just tell me what you think when you finish it up. To be honest, I only mentioned a few things (some important but whatever) and I was under the impression that you, an Avatar Geek saw the whole thing already since it ended last year. Sorry, but I was only answering VentureJ's request.
  • See, the problem I have with Zutara is that it in itself has become a cliched genre. Not too long ago, it was a big deal for the typically good girl to choose the bad boy with a heart of gold. Love/hate relationships were a relatively new and interesting thing.
    But now they aren't. Every relationship is a love/hate relationship now. More and more forms of fiction, whether they be books, TV shows, comics, or video games, are relying on the love/hate relationship too much, and the many variants off of that, such as the kind of Zutara relationship. Therefore, it is slowly becoming less cliched to give the hero the girl, because more and more often the girl is not choosing the hero.
  • I agree that Zuko/Katara is a little on the cliche side, but Aang/Katara is just too sticky-sweet-sappy. I'm sorry. It didn't appeal to me at all. Part of that was that I always thought that they interacted with Katara being more of a motherly figure to Aang then a girlfriend figure.