This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battle of the Sexes

edited November 2007 in Flamewars
Deborah Cameron's new book The Myth of Mars and Venus: Do Men and Women Really Speak Different Languages? is about how men and women might not argue as differently as some would have us believe.

What do you think of the argument that men and women argue differently? Is it stupidly obvious or does Ms. Cameron have some sort of profound insight?

Comments

• I find that men prefer to focus on the logic of an argument while woman focus on the emotion of the argument. It just might be me though.
  • Dangit. I thought this was about the game . . .
  • I actually do really well at the game. Is that a bad thing?
  • I actually do really well at the game. Is that a bad thing?
    That depends. Do you consider being a homosexual bad?
  • edited November 2007
    I find that men prefer to focus on the logic of an argument while woman focus on the emotion of the argument. It just might be me though.
    Carole is extremely logical, but she still does this little thing a lot:

"Hmmmm. . . it would be nice if I had a large box I could use to store the dog toys."

Two hours later:

"Do you have that box for me yet?"

Me: "What box?"

"That box I wanted."

Or:

"I can't seem to find my keys."

Five minutes later:

"Why aren't you helping me find my keys?"

And what is it with the preternatural senses of smell and hearing?:

"It smells musty in here."

Me: "I can't smell anything."

At 2:00 a.m.:

"What was that?!! Do you hear that?"

Me: "No."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Men tend to communicate almost entirely with a focus towards making a decision. This isn't to say it's logical, just decision focused.

Women tend to communicate with a social focus. Men often times call this emotional, but I think social is a more descriptive word. They speak to illicit response in the form of thoughts as well as feelings. They use the language to cause conversation rather than make a decision.

I wouldn't say that these differences only happen during arguments, but men tend to notice them more in arguments because there's a problem for them to solve.

This isn't to say that a difference in semantics makes one gender more logical or unable to make decisions. They're different methods of communication that are both capable of logic, reasoning, and decisioning making. There are other methods of semantic argument (for example, lawyers argue a point differently than journalists do) that are less obvious I think.

The key to successful communication in the face of differing semantics is to learn the differences and similarities so that you can communicate to other individuals. While books and research like this are useful tools, you still have to be able to recognize when someone is talking to you with a 'social focus' or 'decision focus'. I work with a lot of women who can just as easily take 'decision focused' semantics as 'social focused' and they're both important.

• Women tend to communicate with a social focus. Men often times call this emotional, but I think social is a more descriptive word. They speak to illicit response in the form of thoughts as well as feelings. They use the language to cause conversation rather than make a decision.
    I've noticed this as well. Quite often female will friends will tell me their problems. Then I respond by telling them how I would fix the problem. I have deduced over time that they aren't actually asking for solutions to their problems. They just want me to say comforting words telling them they are right, or somehow communicating that I sympathize with their feelings about the problem. To this day I still just tell them my solutions to their problems, even though I know that isn't what they are asking for.

Meanwhile male friends talk about problems they are having less often. When they do talk about them, they are usually looking for solutions. Quite often, it is difficult to provide a solution because they wouldn't have asked for advice if it were something they could solve themselves. At this point we usually end up coming up with solutions and weighing the pros and cons of each.
  • I've noticed this as well.
    Do you see this at work? The thing that always gets me is that I know they can operate with a decision focus, they just don't always do it.

My wife is a project manager which is a total trip because she can go from one moment talking about work, career, whatever application her team is developing in a completely decision focused manner and the next moment be in social centric mode about the very same thing! As her husband I get to see both sides though I'd suspect at work it's just the one.

As I mentioned above, I see it a lot at work where decision focused language is typically more appropriate.
  • Do you see this at work? The thing that always gets me is that I know theycanoperate with a decision focus, they just don't always do it.
    You know what? I don't see it at work. Perhaps it is the context of work that changes the thinking. Or perhaps us males treat everything like work?
  • Or perhaps us males treat everything like work?
    Hahaha. There's something to be said for that!

It's something that's identifiable I think though. I mean, I may have troubles not supplying my solutions or decisions to a social/emotive conversation, but I can at least add to my solutioning a bit of emoting . . . as long as I recognize it.

For example: Any question a woman asks with a social focus is always rhetorical. It has an implied answer (see hungryjoe's examples) and you are expected, as a social convention, to respond to the answer, not the question.
  • My wife (jokingly) calls me Spock. She considers it an insult while I consider it a compliment.
  • Fascinating ;-)
  • edited November 2007
    Any question a woman asks with a social focus is always rhetorical. It has an implied answer (see hungryjoe's examples) and you are expected, as a social convention, to respond to theanswer, not thequestion.
    Many disagreements would be avoided if she would say, "Hey. Get me a box.", instead of, "A box would be nice."

I guess I could learn to speak "implied speak", but wouldn't it be easier to just be direct?

• I guess I could learn to speak "implied speak", but wouldn't it be easier to just be direct?
    But then you won't be being sensitive to her feelings!
  • I guess I could learn to speak "implied speak", but wouldn't it be easier to just be direct?
    In my experience life is easier when I indulge others in their semantic foibles rather then trying to force them to use my preferred idiosyncrasy. I think it makes me a fairly amenable guy.
  • Are no women going to contribute?
  • When my wife uses the, "a box would be nice" line I usually say, "yes, unless it is a mean box, then it would not be nice."

I have also found that when I attempt to use the same manner of speaking, "my throat sure is parched," while she is getting a drink from the kitchen she invariably does not get me a drink but instead waits until she sits down to ask me if I wanted something.
  • Are no women going to contribute?
    There are no women on the internet.
  • edited November 2007
    Yes, it would be easier to speak direct, but your wife is "testing" you and "conditioning" you to understand this implied speak. Once you have submitted to that, her evil plan will come to fruition! B'wahahaha!

All kidding aside, I find myself doing that, and it annoys me. I try my best not to do it and be direct and upfront with my boyfriend whenever I want him to do something like chores. However, from personal experience, my reasonings for having "implied speak" with my boyfriend is because I think it would be nice if he were to do things for me without having to tell him about it. I dunno. I guess it makes me feel special because it tells me that he is thinking about me and wants to do things for me. >.>

Yeah, I know, it's sounds pretty bat shit crazy, but that's just how I think/feel. I know he cares about me, but every now and then it's always nice to have something done for you, no matter how small or insignificant or large it is.

*edit*
    It took a while for me to respond because our work loss teh internets
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I could accept the "do things without asking" bit but I am forever asking my wife to do certain "things" for me and I never get them unless I buy her something expensive. OMG! I married a prostitute!
  • . . . every now and then it's always nice to have something done for you, no matter how small or insignificant or large it is.
    Is that why women like the restaurant/spa/vacation/cruise experience so much?
  • edited November 2007
    @Steve
    LOL, I really don't know how to respond to that. I'm trying to think of certain occasions where my boyfriend would ask me to do something, and for most part, I really can't recollect anything. I don't think he asks much of me. >.> Man, that sounds kinda weird to me. I really can't recall a significant moment where he asks something of me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited November 2007
    I could accept the "do things without asking" bit but I am forever asking my wife to do certain "things" for me and I never get them unless I buy her something expensive.
    Carole wouldn't put me out if I was on fire, but I'm expected to trek to the ends of the earth to find cranberry Sierra Mist.

And "something sweet". She'll often send me out for "something sweet". She'll never say exactly what. So I'll end up at a store thinking, "Does she want Ring Dings? Mallomars? Milanos? WHAT?!!"
  • I could accept the "do things without asking" bit but I am forever asking my wife to do certain "things" for me and I never get them unless I buy her something expensive.
    Carole wouldn't put me out if I was on fire, but I'm expected to trek to the end of the earth to find cranberry Sierra Mist.
    After midnight no less?
  • I guess it makes me feel special because it tells me that he is thinking about me and wants to do things for me.
    This really is the crooks of the matter I think. Women need to feel needed. When they're feeling the need to feel needed, they 'test' you. They're setting you up to succeed at being a good husband/boyfriend/friend!

When you're dating this is called 'the game'. This is the cat and mouse game that you loved. Now that you're serious you don't want to prove your love on a daily basis? That makes you a sorry excuse for a man if you ask me.

I think this is a little off topic though. We're now talking about a specific example of semantic differences that happens in relationships. Good conversation though!
    I could accept the "do things without asking" bit but I am forever asking my wife to do certain "things" for me and I never get them unless I buy her something expensive.
    You live in a cynical sitcom and it's awesome.
  • And "something sweet". She'll often send me out for "something sweet". She'll never say exactly what. So I'll end up at a store thinking, "Does she want Ring Dings? Mallomars? Milanos? WHAT?!!"
    The right answer is all of those and a bottle of champagne. Come on . . . give me a hard one!
  • edited November 2007
    And "something sweet". She'll often send me out for "something sweet". She'll never say exactly what. So I'll end up at a store thinking, "Does she want Ring Dings? Mallomars? Milanos? WHAT?!!"
    The right answer is all of those and a bottle of champagne. Come on . . . give me a hard one!
    She always likes whatever it is I bring back. I think the real thing she wants is to see me go out to get something for her. I get a few bonus points if it's night, raining, or both.
  • edited November 2007

I get back at my wife on that one. She asks me what I want for dinner and I tell her "food". When she bugs me to be more specific I remind her of the old movie "Repoman" where rather than have corporate food sponsors whenever a character in the movie needed a food item it was always in a white container marked Food, Beer, Soda, whatever.

Oh yes, we had out ten year anniversary on Oct 30.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on

• Is that why women like the restaurant/spa/vacation/cruise experience so much?
    Quite possibly. Because it's something different from the everyday experience I guess. I would like to go on a cruise sometime with my boyfriend, but I'll settle with going to Seattle or something for now. Myself, I like going out to eat and all, but I love just sitting on the couch, eating take out in my pjs with my boyfriend watching a movie or anime.

I personally like small things vs. big things. Big things can get too expensive. Small things, can be easier to get.

Carole wouldn't put me out if I was on fire, but I'm expected to trek to the end of the earth to find cranberry Sierra Mist.
    LOL. That's pretty harsh. I don't think I'm in that sort of boat. Kinda reminds me of the time after Christmas, my boyfriend and I went on an epic journey to find a Pink DS Lite, and it was pretty stupid of us because we didn't realize that they were pretty much sold out everywhere. However, after hours of searching, calling, driving in nasty stormy weather, we were able to find a Pink DS Lite for me, and I gave my old white DS Lite to him. So it was a mutual-beneficial trek to the ends of the earth for ultimate gaming for us!
  • She always likes whatever it is I bring back. I think the real thing she wants is to see me go out to get something for her. I get a few bonus pints if it's night, raining, or both.
    See. You're not as clueless as you're trying to sound.

It's really unfair to act like you don't love doing these things for the woman you care about because you're going to make the other women in the 'room' feel guilty for wanting these very things. Just admit it! You love doing things like that for your wife. When you get it right, it makes you feel just as good as it makes her feel.