This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A podcast episode about the nature of frienship.

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
This week on FNPL, we do something a little different. We only have one topic and it's really a discussion on the nature of friendship. It's also Kyle, Thaed and David arguing with Rym and Scott about the best laid plans. It's youthful optimism versus jaded pessimism at its best.

Comments

edited December 2007
    It's youthful optimism versus jaded pessimism at its best.
    Oh mans. Sounds awesome, downloading as we speak. Eh, type.

Awesome episode. Gah, and still don't know what to say, even less then before. I'll side with the youthful optimism though. It takes every member of a relation to keep said relation working. And if you have similar interests, trust each other completely and have respect for each other and his/her views, then said relation will be maintainable. The Front Row Crew is the only group of people that I've heard of that actually might be able to live together forever.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm sorta on the Rym and Scott side. Being that I have a group called the Unadults who are similar to the FRC. We're just lower in numbers and met that the rest were describing has either happened or is in the works, e.g. a girlfriend/boyfriend who doesn't fit in or a baby being born (I'm officially Aunt Viga on Monday! Fuck yeah!) A lot of the things they were saying are how I feel exactly for my own crew.

I say I'm sorta on the Rym and Scott side because when someone said people grow apart or the group isn't as important anymore. With the impending birth of my niece and my to go to an out of state college, I fear it might happen. I don't want it too happen ever and I love and trust everyone a lot. With the Internet and phones we're always be connected. I just don't know what will happen until it happens.

Hearing Rym and Scott's optimism made me believe if anyone can do it it's you Front Row Crew guys. I never had that type of feeling about people I never physically met before. I'm rooting for ya here in DC. ^_^

If you don't...DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE! NY isn't that far from DC ya know! Plus you guys gotta come down here sometime! LOL.

Man, this episode triggered more thought in me than previous ones. I really wish I was in that conversation. >.<
  • My 40-year-old uncle has a similar group to the FRC. They have known each other since college and they trust each other completely. In fact, I remember an occasion where one of the members of this group had gotten his house burned down. Absolutely EVERYONE from the group had flown to the guy and offered support and potential housing. Eventually, that man lived with my uncle for a year, no questions asked, until he was capable of buying his own house.

Every member of this group has the keys to everyone's respective houses. It seems like a strange bonding ritual. The members of this group trust each other completely. In a time when the internet was completely non-existent, this group continued to strive, and they are just as close as ever...if not closer.

Honestly, if Kyle and Thaed's group of friends failed the way they did, they probably weren't as close as they thought they were.
  • jccjcc
    edited December 2007
    Given the complaints they bring up when the Visigoths come over for a weekend, I'm not sure how they'd deal with the Visigoths living in their physical space. ^^;

Whether or not they'll be successful depends on their industry, I suspect. I had friends who felt that way during the first Internet boom. When the bubble burst hard times ensued, that weakened many friendships.

Also, Rym & Scott seem to be the alphas of the Crew. They lead and everyone follows. In such a situation, it can really be hard to swallow the idea that one day perhaps, they'll lead, and some of the Crew will balk. After all, why would they? Everything had been fine before, right? Well... maybe.

The need to belong is a powerful one for geeks, despite what some may say. For freedom from the isolation that made up their past life, many geeks will throw themselves headlong into any organization that gives them the community they'd hoped for. In past times, this had been in corporate groups. Why do you think programmers of old worked 80 hour work weeks? Why did people follow Steve Jobs like they did? Part of it was a love of the work, to be sure, but the rest was a desperate need not to let the person down who had taken a chance on them.

Eventually, though, things started to fall apart. The glorious leader turned out to be a pushy jerk, and the care for them and their welfare turned out to be only care for himself and his vision. It hadn't been obvious before because nothing had come along to test it yet. I'm not saying that this describes Scrym and their Crew, but it's a good example of how a sure thing can come apart when certain things aren't recognized.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I side with the fogeys. This utopian ideal will not last.
  • edited December 2007
    Also, Rym & Scott seem to be the alphas of the Crew. They lead and everyone follows. In such a situation, it can really be hard to swallow the idea that one day perhaps, they'll lead, and some of the Crew will balk. After all, why would they? Everything had been fine before, right? Well... maybe.
    Who leads is generally who planned the event. So since we tend to meet at Rym and Scott's place the plans tend to fall towards them for what to do. When they are at my house or down the shore I tend to run the show. So it's more, whoever is hosting tends to get defaulted to. The rest of the crew usually doesn't have a strong opinion as to what they want to do or is not usually the host. Though all groups have certain people that if they decide they are not interested in doing something the event usually dies out. That being said Scott never counts in this, otherwise we would never do half the fun things we do (I.E. Hiking/Camping and soon to be planned Skiing trip)

I have to say as a member of the FRC this eps was hilarious!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Haven't listened to the episode yet but I'll probably fall on the side of youthful optimism. 8D I wouldn't say I have a crew but I have a few good friends that I expect to be fairly close to forever. At least one of them will take a bullet for me and is willing to admit it (which is important, I feel). I don't see any of them so often anymore since we're all studying in very different fields but the feeling is there. I would lend them money (if I had any, lol) and any other support when they needed it.

I think the only thing that'd foil all that would be if they... changed as people. Dramatically. I suppose the old fogeys have actually had that happen to them, hence the pessimism. I'm not going to deny that possibility but at the same time I can't really see it happening to me. GOGO OPTIMISM, YEAH!
    I side with the fogeys. This utopian ideal will not last.
    That almost made me literally LOL.
    I agree. The women are what's going to kill it in the end (as usual).

Oh, they might think that acting geeky is "cute" now and they might affect a high tolerance for geeky friends at present, but I predict that when they start hitting the late 20s/early 30s they're going to start applying pressure to put away the toys/computers/gadgets/anime of youth to make room for the china cabinets/dining room suites/jewelery/minivans of adulthood/middle age.
  • minivans of adulthood
    Hey, that minivan gives you +2 to all saving throws dealing with parental authority.
  • Didn't Churchill say:

If you're living the "Front Row Crew" life when you're 25, you have no worries.
    If you're still living the "Front Row Crew" life when you're 35, you have no sex drive.
  • By the way... when I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was that this podcast had to be the most boring thing ever created. I thought someone was asking for advice on how to do a podcast about friendship.

Then I realized it was referring to a podcast that I was in!

Doh!
    Not if they are geeky women.

I predict that when they start hitting the late 20s/early 30s they're going to start applying pressure to put away the toys/computers/gadgets/anime of youth to make room for the china cabinets/dining room suites/jewelery/minivans of adulthood/middle age.
    Eww! I don't think I ever want things like that. This may be my mental problem (XD lol) or youth talking (22), but I think this geeky life can last forever. Maybe it can even count as a lifestyle. (I'm probably speaking and sounding psychotic) There are people who exist and never let it go. The same can be true for deep rooted friendships.
  • Didn't Churchill say:

If you're living the "Front Row Crew" life when you're 25, you have no worries.
    If you're still living the "Front Row Crew" life when you're 35, you have no sex drive.
    Wow. (speechless and laughing)

Oh, they might think that acting geeky is "cute" now and they might affect a high tolerance for geeky friends at present, but I predict that when they start hitting the late 20s/early 30s they're going to start applying pressure to put away the toys/computers/gadgets/anime of youth to make room for the china cabinets/dining room suites/jewelery/minivans of adulthood/middle age.
    Wow, way to be sexist. Nice assumption there that just because someone is female they aren't in the crew, and they don't like geeky things.

You sound a lot like Rym's old co-workers at IBM. Former geeks who all hated their wives because they didn't let them do geeky stuff. One guy was literally hiding anime from his wife because she would throw it out. Nobody to blame but himself. He chose to marry her. Sour grapes get no respect.

Wow, way to be sexist. Nice assumption there that just because someone is female they aren't in the crew, and they don't like geeky things.

You sound a lot like Rym's old co-workers at IBM. Former geeks who all hated their wives because they didn't let them do geeky stuff. One guy was literally hiding anime from his wife because she would throw it out. Nobody to blame but himself. He chose to marry her. Sour grapes get no respect.
    There are many woman who pull a 180 on you after becoming married. It is not being sexist to point this out.

Woman also change after the first kid is born. It could just be hormones but they go from loving wife to loving mom. Yes, there are some things a mom will no longer (or at least not nearly as often) do for her husband that she used to do all the time. When you hear her say, "I kiss my child with these lips," with a look of utter horror on her face you will understand what I say is true.

Many things said while dating suddenly vanish once the ring is on, more so in states where divorces always go in the woman's favor.
  • I do have one little problem with the octogenarians' argument: One of them said that half of all people who get married get divorced. That's not true. It's half of all marriages end in divorce. Larry King is on wife number eight.
  • I do have one little problem with the octogenarians' argument: One of them said that half of all people who get married get divorced. That's not true. It'shalf of all marriagesend in divorce. Larry King is on wife number eight.
    This sort of mistake makes the rest of us look bad. I'm only wife number two so I'm batting a .500 right now. It's guys like Larry King that ruin it for the rest of us by making it appear that divorce is more rampant than it actually is.
  • My daily driver is a minivan... But it's actually really cool because it's the Odyssey Touring. It has power back and side doors, a built in GPS and DVD player and there's all sorts of great driver feedback screens on the dash.
  • edited December 2007

I didn't assume they weren't in the crew. My prediction holds for any women in the crew, the prediction being that they soon won't have nearly as much real interest in geeky things as opposed to adult things. It's like cinderblock bookshelves. Many women think they're cute when they're in their 20s, but once they hit their 30s, they're gonna want the nicer ones (maybe even the barrister bookcases with the glass doors). Same thing with geeky stuff. A day of reckoning will come in which they will purge themselves of geekiness and require their men to do the same.

It's not sour grapes at all. It's a prediction. As far as throwing stuff out goes, that covers everything, not just anime. When you get married (or maybe even when you move in together), your wife WILL throw out a lot of your stuff. She will continue to throw out stuff you acquire in the future. It doesn't matter if it's anime or NFL videos. They're destined for the dumpster.

Get used to the idea now and it won't be such a shock later.
    Woman also change after the first kid is born. It could just be hormones but they go from loving wife to loving mom.
    It's hardwired. Like it or not, after the kid arrives, you're of secondary importance. It's survival.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited December 2007
    I really don't like women who do that. I've seen it happen a bunch of times already. I never want to be that. Women like that really piss me off.

Plus it isn't sexist to point it out because its too true.
    (I sound like a guy. O_O)
    As far as throwing stuff out goes, that covers everything, not just anime. When you get married (or maybe even when you move in together), your wife WILL throw out a lot of your stuff. She will continue to throw out stuff you acquire in the future. It doesn't matter if it's anime or NFL videos. They're destined for the dumpster.

If that's the case why don't the guys do it too?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Intrigued. Subscribed.
  • edited December 2007
    It's not sour grapes at all. It's a prediction. As far as throwing stuff out goes, that covers everything, not just anime. When you get married (or maybe even when you move in together), your wife WILL throw out a lot of your stuff. She will continue to throw out stuff you acquire in the future. It doesn't matter if it's anime or NFL videos. They're destined for the dumpster.
    I wouldn't marry such a person. If, as you predict, I marry someone totally awesome and geeky, then they pull a 180, I would divorce them. I also don't take orders from anybody. If anyone tried to throw out any of my things, no matter how trivial, without my permission, I would confront them directly. If I didn't receive retribution, I would press charges.

I agree that there are some people, of all genders, who do pull these kinds of 180s, especially after being married with children. What I object to is that you think any of us would actually be with that kind of person. I also resent people who don't stand up for themselves. If you have a spouse who is at the point of throwing out your belongings without your permission, then you no longer have an equal partnership.

I've been to a lot of geeky conventions in my day. I've met plenty of old and happily married couples who are both still total geeks. In fact, many other geek podcasters have wives who read comics, play RPGs, dig video games, etc. I know for a fact that your "prediction" is not some law of the universe. I think your prediction is just a way for you to make yourself feel better. It's easier for you to go on with a non-geek wife if you believe that a geek wife is not possible.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • My prediction holds for any women in the crew, the prediction being that they soon won't have nearly as much real interest in geeky things as opposed to adult things.
    So, as Scott pointed out, you have this sexist view that somehow women suddenly dislike their hobbies and change their interests... Why do you seem to think that a geeky woman is more likely to stop being geeky than a man?
  • edited December 2007
    As far as throwing stuff out goes, that covers everything, not just anime. When you get married (or maybe even when you move in together), your wife WILL throw out a lot of your stuff. She will continue to throw out stuff you acquire in the future. It doesn't matter if it's anime or NFL videos. They're destined for the dumpster.

If that's the case why don't the guys do it too?
    1. We're too stupid/distracted to think about it.
    2. We're fearful of the repercussions.
    3. We're ascared to even touch some of the more girly stuff for fear it may break.
    4. She throws her own stuff away before we can get to it, thereby creating the need to go out and get more and newer stuff.
    I really don't like women who do that. I've seen it happen a bunch of times already. I never want to be that. Women like that really piss me off.

Plus it isn't sexist to point it out because its too true.
    Take that, Scott.
    My prediction holds for any women in the crew, the prediction being that they soon won't have nearly as much real interest in geeky things as opposed to adult things.
    So, as Scott pointed out, you have this sexist view that somehow women suddenly dislike their hobbies and change their interests... Why do you seem to think that a geeky woman is more likely to stop being geeky than a man?
    Women are more attuned to "growing" and the whole "circle of life" thing. Men are generally (notice I said generally) more stable in their tastes.
  • Take that, Scott.
    I think Scott's point is that none of the women (or men) we know are like that, and I doubt we could bear to be friends with someone who was, let alone romantically involved.
  • Take that, Scott.
    How is that a "take that, Scott" moment? If anything, that's more on the side of Scott's point than yours....
  • edited December 2007
    I also resent people who don't stand up for themselves. If you have a spouse who is at the point of throwing out your belongings without your permission, then you no longer have an equal partnership.
    It's not that it's unequal. That's just what they do. Don't tell me your mother never threw away your comic books (or something similar).
    I think your prediction is just a way for you to make yourself feel better. It's easier for you to go on with a non-geek wife if you believe that a geek wife is not possible.
    But I don't feel bad. It's just something that you live with. I feel like someone said I'm trying to make myself feel better about a snowstorm.
    Take that, Scott.
    How is that a "take that, Scott" moment? If anything, that's more on the side of Scott's point than yours....
    Scot said that what I said was sexist. Viga says it's not.
  • It's not that it's unequal. That's just what they do. Don't tell me your mother never threw away your comic books (or something similar).
    Never.
  • It's not that it's unequal. That's just what they do. Don't tell me your mother never threw away your comic books (or something similar).
    Hell, no! My mother bought me comic books, she didn't throw them away. In fact, she will tell you she regrets throwing away the comic books she had when she was a kid, and not just because of the money they would be worth. On the rare occasion we did clean up my stuff, and throw out lame old stuff, my mom would never throw out anything without asking us (me and siblings) first. Usually she wouldn't even go through our stuff. She would just tell us to clean the closet out, and throw away anything we didn't want anymore. My old toys which were not thrown out are still in my parent's attic and basement. If anything, my parents care more about saving them than I do.

A small part of two people respecting each other is respecting each other's property. It's not so much the actual loss of property that is a problem here. The physical goods are easily replaced. The problem is that if someone is throwing away your things without your permission, that is a clear sign that they do not respect you, or the things you care about. That is definitely not the kind of relationship I want to have with somebody. It's definitely not the kind of relationship I would want to have with anybody who I'm going to share the majority of my life with. I also have a hard time understanding how any self-respecting human being could willingly enter, or stay in, such a relationship, if not under duress.
    Never.
    My mother bought me comic books, she didn't throw them away. In fact, she will tell you she regrets throwing away the comic books she had when she was a kid, and not just because of the money they would be worth. On the rare occasion we did clean up my stuff, and throw out lame old stuff, my mom would never throw out anything without asking us (me and siblings) first. Usually she wouldn't even go through our stuff. She would just tell us to clean the closet out, and throw away anything we didn't want anymore. My old toys which were not thrown out are still in my parent's attic and basement. If anything, my parents care more about saving them than I do.
    Either:

1. You're both lying, and/or
    2. You were both raised by hippies, or
    3. Times have changed even more than I thought.