This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are we heading for another depression?

Comments

• Only people who live outside of the city and work in the city have to commute. People who actually live in the city are the ones who have the real social advantage.
    True dat.
    I find that it's much easier to make good friends in a rural environment. People tend to enjoy more leisure time when they don't commute 2 or more hours each day.
    But I think its way easier to find people with similar interests in a city! Also, train time = .5 leisure time.
  • I would rather have a commute and have access to fewer people (a bonus for me most of the time) and be able to walk in fields and woods without interruption and own enough land to buffer me from neighbors. I would want to live within reasonable distance of a city, but not in it. Some people enjoy the city, while other don't. Didn't we cover this topic before?
    The issue I have with my commute is that I currently live in a highly populated suburb (not my ideal, but it is fine for renting) and my work is in another highly populated suburb. My work is a 15/30 minute car trip from my house (depending on traffic). None of my commute goes anywhere near sparsely populated areas. My work is even near the local airport. So why is there not a bus that can serve me without turning my part time job into a full time job with the added hours of waiting and walking I would need to do?
  • Some people enjoy the city, while other don't. Didn't we cover this topic before?
    Sure, I'm not arguing that. I was arguing that I think it's easier to make like minded friends in the city, and that city people have less leisure time because they commute. (Not really true.)
  • Some people enjoy the city, while other don't. Didn't we cover this topic before?
    Sure, I'm not arguing that. I was arguing that I think it's easier to make like minded friends in the city, and that city people have less leisure time because they commute. (Not really true.)
    Possibly, though (per your arguement in the other thread) there are so many people that they become white noise and you have no time to connect with them.
  • edited February 2009
    But I just met Matt Burnett (the guy who animated those funny cartoons like "im in ur manger") on the subway. I didn't know it was him, but he was having an interesting conversation with his friend about comics and stuff. They had a forbidden planet bag, and I ended up talking to him because of that. If I see someone interesting, I will talk to them. I just know I've met more random people who are cool here than I did in high school.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • But I just met Matt Burnett (the guy who animated those funny cartoons like "im in ur manger") on the subway. I didn't know it was him, but he was having an interesting conversation with his friend about comics and stuff. They had a forbidden planet bag, and I ended up talking to him because of that. If I see someone interesting, I will talk to them. I just know I've met more random people who are cool here than I did in high school.
    That is a product of being an adult and choosing where you spend your time. And, yes, cities have more opportunity for that.
  • Back to the topic at hand. Do you think the administration is handling the current economic crisis well?

Where are they doing well and where are they not doing so well?

Is there anything you would be doing different if you were President?

Is there anything you would be telling the President if you were one of his advisers?

Do you think the market has bottomed out or is it going to fall a lot further?

Do you think the current policies are treating the cause or the symptoms? What is the cause and what are the symptoms?
  • It is impossible to tell if the administration is handling the economic crisis well, particularly for a lay person. From what I have read and heard discussed, it seems that we haven't come close to hitting rock bottom. That coupled with the fact that this is somewhat uncharted territory (as our current economic system varies drastically from that of previous recessions and depressions and that it is a global economic crisis), indicates that anything done now is a shot in the dark.
  • It is impossible to tell if the administration is handling the economic crisis well, particularly for a lay person. From what I have read and heard discussed, it seems that we haven't come close to hitting rock bottom. That coupled with the fact that this is somewhat uncharted territory (as our current economic system varies drastically from that of previous recessions and depressions and that it is a global economic crisis), indicates that anything done now is a shot in the dark.
    While it is amazing, you do have to account for inflation. A penny in those days was a lot of money.
  • edited February 2009
    It is impossible to tell if the administration is handling the economic crisis well, particularly for a lay person. From what I have read and heard discussed, it seems that we haven't come close to hitting rock bottom. That coupled with the fact that this is somewhat uncharted territory (as our current economic system varies drastically from that of previous recessions and depressions and that it is a global economic crisis), indicates that anything done now is a shot in the dark.
    While it is amazing, you do have to account for inflation. A penny in those days was a lot of money.
    It is the equivalent of spending a few bucks on a meal to feed a family now. It was still super-frugal for its day.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So do we get dividends now that we own 80% of AIG?
  • Wow, Michigan's in the shitter right now.
    Right now? It's been in there for quite some time.
    Right now? It's been in there for quite some time.
    Well, I always knew that Detroit wasn't in the best shape, but I didn't know the rest of the state was in such a condition as well.
  • Check this map out
    Wow, where I'm moving has 10.2% unemployment. Argh, I thought I might be able to find a better job than the one I'm getting. Not likely.
  • Wow, where I'm moving has 10.2% unemployment. Argh, I thought I might be able to find a better job than the one I'm getting. Not likely.
    This is why I always find a job first, and move second.

• If my bank fails, it doesn't matter how smart I've been with my money.
    If my bank fails, the feds bail them out as per the FDIC. If I had more money than the FDIC insures in a bank account, I'm already being stupid with my money, and furthermore an already in a position to cover my butt.

If the feds somehow can't bail the banks out, then our problems are far deeper than anything I could have prevented or planned for on my own. In that horrible case, it's Mad Max time.
    FDIC Chairman: FDIC could become insolvent this year.

Who run Bartertown?
  • If the FDIC does become insolvent, that's the end of it. Even someone smart like me, who knows it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy, would get my money out of the bank if the FDIC wasn't there. A mattress is safer than a bank with no insurance.
  • Wow, that's a pretty scary thought.
  • The possibility alone could cause a rush on banks.
  • I'll cash out before you can blink if that funding isn't approved. ;^)
  • This is why I always find a job first, and move second.
    I'm moving for reasons that are greater than employment.
    If the FDIC does become insolvent, that's the end of it. Even someone smart like me, who knows it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy, would get my money out of the bank if the FDIC wasn't there. A mattress is safer than a bank with no insurance.
    Wow, finally there's an upside to being a broke college grad. :)
  • edited March 2009
    Has this started to affect anyone's spending habits yet? I'm a lot more careful than I used to be when buying books. I won't buy a book I can find at the library, even if I have to wait for it.

It concerns me to hear pundits saying that saving might be a bad thing for the economy overall. An economy based on a whirligig orgy of consumer spending sounds inherently unstable to me. It might last for a few more years, but without a solid foundation, like manufacturing, to back it up, it's hard to imagine it lasting indefinitely.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2009
    My spending habits are unaffected. However, that is only because I have always been frugal. Even when the economy was great, I lived below my means, and tried to only buy things I really needed, and at the best prices. I still have a job with the same pay, so I haven't changed. If I did lose my job, I would eliminate all the unnecessary costs, mostly entertainment related, and either try to start my own company, or find a new job. Then when the money came back. I would go and buy all the comics I missed, and such.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It hasn't affected me much, but I've had carefully spending hammered into me by my parents so I see no reason to change.
    It concerns me to hear pundits saying that saving might be a bad thing for the economy overall. An economy based on a whirligig orgy of consumer spending sounds inherently unstable to me. It might last for a few more years, but without a solid foundation, like manufacturing, to back it up, it's hard to imagine it lasting indefinitely.
    Yeah, it isn't so great. It's going to be very rough if we're finally changing our ways though. Who knows, they might build things to last again as a result. That would be a nice change.
  • How much has the increase in FDIC insurance from $100K to $150K affected the potential for insolvency?

How much will the "one time fee" associated with this change affect banks that are borderline to begin with?

How many people really need that extra $150K of FDIC insurance?
  • edited March 2009
    I spoke with my Mother, a Financial Manager, and apparently the FDIC has been actually insolvent for years and they have only been solvent on paper (much like the majority of corporations for the past 10 years or so). News to me.

As to spending habits, we are sticking to one vehicle since I am only working part time while I go to school. Once I am back to full time or if our schedules shift drastically and I can no longer drive Adam to and from work, then we will purchase another car. That has more to do with being a student than the recession.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2009
    Who run Bartertown?
    Master Blaster.

As for my own savings, I actually started saving last year and with the help of a few bonuses and a tax return, I was able to put more into savings and paid off some debts. I have been buying less comics, however that's because I have a large pile to catch up on. My overall spending hasn't gone down a lot, and I'm going to Vegas next week. I got a raise at work along with my yearly increase, so I was able to make a few purchases on items that I've been looking at for a while.

After Vegas, I plan on trying to increase my savings.
    Post edited by Rochelle on