This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are we heading for another depression?

Comments

• Starting the economy is like starting a car. The starter cranks the engine until it runs on its own. If your starter is messed up, you can crank and crank and crank without ever starting the engine. We need to get the engine started with at little cranking as possible. Every crank costs us money. But if we don't point that money in the right direction, it won't start the engine.
    To continue your metaphor, couldn't you just give the car enough of a push so that you can clutch-start it?
  • To continue your metaphor, couldn't you just give the car enough of a push so that you can clutch-start it?
    Very few people in America have or even know how to use a clutch. ;^) The future is in sequential automatic or manual transmissions.
  • To continue your metaphor, couldn't you just give the car enough of a push so that you can clutch-start it?
    Very few people in America have or even know how to use a clutch. ;^)
    And that is why your country must fall.
  • And that is why your country must fall.
    I'm of the mind that, for 99% of drivers, standard manual transmissions are silly and obsolete. For the other 1%, a sequential manual is far superior.
  • I'm of the mind that, for 99% of drivers, standard manual transmissions are silly and obsolete. For the other 1%, a sequential manual is far superior.
    What about those 18-wheeler type trucks? Aren't they all manual transmission? I've always wondered about that.
  • What about those 18-wheeler type trucks? Aren't they all manual transmission? I've always wondered about that.
    Yeah, but few people have to drive them. Also, they do make very large trucks with automatics. The truck we rented to move from Rochester to Beacon was automatic. Still a bitch to drive, which is why I made Rym do it, but still automatic.
  • And that is why your country must fall.
    I'm of the mind that, for 99% of drivers, standard manual transmissions are silly and obsolete. For the other 1%, a sequential manual is far superior.
    *Shrugs* I was just taking the piss, but alright. However, your charge of them being silly and obsolete, I'd like to know why you think this is, if I may?
  • Obama saysthat this stimulus package should just be passed. The other guys keep talking about tax cuts. Is that their only idea? Wasn't that idea rejected by the voters? Hasn't that idea been discredited by recent history? Finally, how much more can taxes be cut?
    A part of Obama's plan was tax breaks aimed at middle america in the hope that it would 'kick start' the economic recovery by bolstering consumer confidence and businesses would receive incentives to create jobs and make equipment purchases more affordable. So yeah, everyone's playing this tired old tune

However the package does focus on building up infrastructure which is good but more of the money should be allocated towards road and bridge maintenance because after all, if you're going to leave future generations with a debt you may as well spend the money on something useful

The entire stimulus package seems rushed, almost like a preventative measure after the disaster has already happened and something about it is making me feel a little leery
  • Obama saysthat this stimulus package should just be passed. The other guys keep talking about tax cuts. Is that their only idea? Wasn't that idea rejected by the voters? Hasn't that idea been discredited by recent history? Finally, how much more can taxes be cut?
    A part of Obama's plan was tax breaks aimed at middle america in the hope that it would 'kick start' the economic recovery by bolstering consumer confidence and businesses would receive incentives to create jobs and make equipment purchases more affordable. So yeah, everyone's playing this tired old tune
    Tax cuts designed to aid the actial middle class are a little different than the tax cuts republicans normally espouse, unless you're using the republican defintion of "middle class", i.e. a family that owns only one megachurch.
    Tax cuts designed to aid the actial middle class are a little different than the tax cuts republicans normally espouse, unless you're using the republican defintion of "middle class", i.e. a family that owns only one megachurch.
    You passed a judgement on tax cuts in general, I responded to that.

For the record I don't support the 'republican' definition of middle class nor do I support your definition of republican because there defiantly is that element to them (the Bush element if you will permit me) there is also a more moderate element and there are equally dislikable elements on the democratic side of the divide.

Also, I support Obama but that does not place him or his policies above criticism because while I believe he was (and still is) the best candidate he's not the Emperor Trajan suddenly returned to life and here to lead us to the land of sugar and honey Obama is a human and thus fallible something I believe a lot of his die hard supporters will learn the hard way
  • Obama is a human and thus fallible
    Fie on thee, foul blasphemer!
  • Could it be possible that the gov. created this crisis?
  • edited February 2009
    Could it be possible that the gov. created this crisis?
    No, not at all

Edit: At least not in the crazy conspiracy theory way you would be suggesting, if instead we are talking about reckless actions on the part of the government and inappropriate spending then yes, yes they did cause the current economic crisis
    Post edited by Irascible on
  • Well just for assumptions:Why did the government create this crisis and for what purpose?
  • Mole people and lizard men working together in unison to create a post-apocalyptic wasteland wherein they can build a newer, scalier society.
  • Mole people and lizard men working together in unison to create a post-apocalyptic wasteland wherein they can build a newer, scalier society.
    I for one, welcome our new scaly overlords from beneath the earth
    Don't blame Me, I voted for Kodos.
  • Well just for assumptions:Why did the government create this crisis and for what purpose?
    You are posing a hypothetical that implies that the Republican controlled government purposefully fucked up in a way that would oust them from power and cause them to overhaul their party or split into two factions. People fuck up an make bad decisions based on faulty reasoning or short sighted self-interest. The government is not one entity that moves unanimously. It is made of individuals and individual organizations that try to work together, but often push for contrary agendas. Stop feeding your paranoia by imagining outlandish hypothetical situations. There are plenty of real problems to focus on. If you don't like something politically, become active and change it.
    No it was greed that caused this, when your friend does something risky and makes a lot of money, you want to do the same thing because you want a lot of money and so on and so on. However if you continue doing this risky behavior eventually people start getting burned. That burning is what you see now.
  • You are posing a hypothetical that implies that the Republican controlled government purposefully fucked up in a way that would oust them from power and cause them to overhaul their party or split into two factions. People fuck up an make bad decisions based on faulty reasoning or short sighted self-interest. The government is not one entity that moves unanimously. It is made of individuals and individual organizations that try to work together, but often push for contrary agendas. Stop feeding your paranoia by imagining outlandish hypothetical situations. There are plenty of real problems to focus on. If you don't like something politically, become active and change it.
    Quoted for Truth.
  • What do you think of the proposed mileage tax? Does it make sense to tax in this way? Would it unduly infringe on your expectation of privacy?
  • What do you think of the proposedmileage tax?Does it make sense to tax in this way? Would it unduly infringe on your expectation of privacy?
    If the device that tracks your mileage is connected to your odometer, then it's not really a privacy concern. If they track it by GPS, then yet it is a concern.
  • What do you think of the proposedmileage tax?Does it make sense to tax in this way? Would it unduly infringe on your expectation of privacy?
    If the device that tracks your mileage is connected to your odometer, then it's not really a privacy concern. If they track it by GPS, then yet it is a concern.
    The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative eventually would be needed.
  • edited February 2009
    And that is why your country must fall.
    Nevermind that manual transmissions are cheaper to buy and have a lower TOC. As for sequential's, that's race track technology that's simply not very well suited for road use. They also have absolutely silly running costs. A lot of the 1% you speak of prefer a manual for it's simplicity and the satisfaction of the driving experience.

As for our economy, are we in a depression yet? Can we change the thread title to "Are we headed for another growth cycle?"

Mileage tax, not concerned for privacy reasons, I just don't like getting taxed. How will the money be used, will it go directly to the road network? Why not just a fuel tax like the europeans? That taxes those that drive more and discourages wastefully large vehicles at the same time.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited February 2009
    It seems to me that the mileage tax is more complicated and less sensible than just taxing the fuel.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It seems to me that it's more complicated and less sensible than just taxing the fuel.
    Taxing the fuel is a much smarter idea because it not only effectively taxes based on miles driven, but also based on efficiency of the vehicle. The problem is that gas taxes are very visible to people on a regular basis. They are constantly reminded if those taxes are high, and they won't stand for it. Taxing mileage in this manner is relatively invisible to most people, and it thus easier to get implemented.
  • edited February 2009
    I just don't see how the our government could possibly implement such a complicated system. These people can't even use a blackberry and they think we can put a transponder in every car? No, I think not. Besides, I'm considerably more interested in the tax rate.

EDIT:
    I just wrote the white house an email about this, and I advise those of you who feel strongly about this to do the same.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Oh great, another dis-incentive to truck drivers and other transportation-related means of commerce. Way to help the economy, government: Add taxes to distribution.
  • Wow, what a great way to screw over all the people who went out and paid more money to buy a hybrid car to save on gas.

What is the social engineering aspect of this tax? With a gas tax you are telling people to buy more fuel efficient vehicles. With a mileage tax you are telling people fuel economy is not important and to just stay home.

The only positive that might exist is that it could encourage car pooling.