This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• So many people right now

• Too real.
  • Wow. Hit the nail on the head.
  • Second round starts tomorrow. I just want the Habs to have a swift exit.
  • round 2, fight!

90% chance that the winners are hawks, ducks, habs, and rangers.

next time you go to a bar, order an "alexander ovechkin."

It's a white russian without a cup! Heyoooo!

Thanks rangers reddit.
  • Very interesting stats here. Carey Price, who is a fucking lights out goaltender, is actually really bad against the Lightning. Do they know how to beat him? Or maybe they just know how to beat the Habs defense? Assuming we beat Washington, it would be much nicer to play against Tampa than against Montreal in the conference finals.

• Having watched the last two Wings/Lightning games, the Rangers will crush Tampa if they end up facing them.
  • Ovie: "All series baby, all series."
  • Ovie chirped too soon. We were at the game yesterday (my college roommate works at MSG) and the Rangers were playing some damn good hockey, especially that first period.
    I will say it's much nicer to watch the Caps vs. Rangers than the Penguins. Crosby's skill aside, they played a dirty game and drew so many penalties it was kinda ridiculous. (Rangers are crummy on power plays to boot, so it didn't help us any.) The Capitals have been playing well and giving the Rangers a run for their money, but it's relatively elegant.
    Fuck that last second goal in the first game of the series, though. That was nonsense.

...Also, I miss Zucc. I hope his noggin gets better soon.
  • edited May 2015
    I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Also, Lou Lamoriello is no longer the GM of the Devils. He's now the team president and Ray Shero takes his spot as General Manager.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited May 2015
    There's no way the Rangers are coming back from a 3-1 series deficit against Washington. The Capitals are much better than last year's Penguins team.

Montreal is similarly done.
    Post edited by PyreKing on
  • PyreKing said:

There's no way the Rangers are coming back from a 3-1 series deficit against Washington. The Capitals are much better than last year's Penguins team.

Montreal is similarly done.

Yep, we done. See you next year. Maybe if Zucc didn't take that puck to the head it would be 2-2 right now. I think Marty is over the hill now. Father time is the only one who is undefeated. At least we get to watch at least one more game at MSG this year.
  • Even if we can't win the cup, I want the Rangers to push the Caps at least into game seven. If we don't win it, they certainly won't.

• So.. I retract my previous statement.
  • edited May 2015
    Rym said:

Lundqvist is a miracle worker.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • All this means is that we have at least one more hockey game to watch this season.
  • Andrew said:

Ugh

Yeah. The Rangers gave up a lot of chump goals near the end.

• Anaheim/Chicago is going to be a great series to watch. But frankly, I don't think they stand a chance against ANYONE who's still in play in the East.
  • That shouldn't have been a penalty on the Rangers at the end of the game, right? I thought they changed that specific delay of game rule this year.
  • Starfox said:

That shouldn't have been a penalty on the Rangers at the end of the game, right? I thought they changed that specific delay of game rule this year.

That was a super dubious call.

There was an equally dubious holding call earlier in the game too. A Cap was literally holding onto a Rangers' stick with his hand, and the RANGER got called for holding.

/didn't matter
    //go rangers
  • Starfox said:

That shouldn't have been a penalty on the Rangers at the end of the game, right? I thought they changed that specific delay of game rule this year.

The NBC casters certainly thought it shouldn't have been one.
  • Starfox said:

The NBC casters certainly thought it shouldn't have been one.
    What's really strange is that NBC the network loves the Rangers, Giants, and other NY teams, Probably because NBC is a New York network. However, the hockey broadcasters do not like the Rangers, especially Pierre. Thankfully illegal streams are coming from the vastly superior CBC. So if NBC casters think that a call against the Rangers shouldn't have been, then odds are it shouldn't have been.
  • The Caps are really good

at blowing a 3-1 game lead in the playoffs.
  • Rym said:

The Caps are really good

at blowing a 3-1 game lead in the playoffs.

They haven't completely blown it, yet. Every hockey writer has two stories already written for Thursday, and both of them are nowhere near the recycle bin.
  • So if one was to try and get into hockey where would one start? I know the UK league isn't massive, though Bristol strangely has one, where would one start?
  • edited May 2015
    Amp said:

So if one was to try and get into hockey where would one start? I know the UK league isn't massive, though Bristol strangely has one, where would one start?

First you just need to familiarize yourself with the basic rules. The most complicated rules you need to know to understand the game are offsides and icing. Both of them are orders of magnitude simpler than the offsides rules in soccer. YouTube can take care of this.

Then you can pick a team and just start watching games. Next game is tomorrow night, US time. Montreal vs. Tampa. If you want to pick a team to root for, there is a pretty good bunch in New York that is doing rather well.

EDIT: Some of the minor details in that video aren't 100% correct for NHL hockey, but it's definitely more than enough to understand the game. The international game isn't that different. It is better, though.
    Post edited by Apreche on