This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

OMG GIANTS IN SUPER BOWL

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Ok, normally we don't have threads like this, but OMG. I've been a Giant's fan since I came out of the womb, and it hasn't been this good since '86. Even if you don't give two shits about football, you can't ignore what's going on here.

The Giant's played their final regular season game against New England. They didn't need to play that game, it wouldn't have changed their playoff position either way. It didn't matter for New England in the playoffs either, however by winning that game New England became the second undefeated team ever. They are also the only team to go undefeated in a 16 game season, instead of a 14 game season. In that final game, the Giants lost, but they came closer to beating the Patriots than any other team all year.

In the playoffs the Giants were underdogs in every game. They were playing with absolutely no home team advantage. Against all odds, they won every game, and they are going to the Super Bowl game next Sunday where they will be facing the still undefeated New England Patriots. If they win this game, it will be the upset of the century. If they lose, well, that's just a respectable and expected result against a team that hasn't lost a game all season. Of course, the Giants only lost one away game all season, that was their very first game, and the Super Bowl is in Phoenix.

There are sports manga with less drama than this.

Comments

• This is great. I am a fan of the Giants and Pats. I win either way :)
  • Fuck the Giants.
  • Meh, why would you watch American football when you can watch rugby?
    This thread is now about rocket artillery.
  • why would you watch American football when you can watch rugby?
    Because we aren't in the Albion.
  • Poor Americans.
  • Poor Americans.
    Go back to watching your boring Cricket.
  • Against all odds, they won every game, and they are going to the Super Bowl game next Sunday where they will be facing the still undefeated New England Patriots.
    A week from Sunday, you mean.
    Also, the Giants will be great. In having the privilege of being the 19th straight win for Tom Brady.

• Also, the Giants will be great. In having the privilege of being the 19th straight win for Tom Brady.
    Well, we already had the privilege of losing to him in his last regular season game. At least we can say we came closer to beating him than anyone else. And who knows, there's a very tiny chance we will beat him.
  • Fuck the Giants.
    So, who's your team?
  • I didn't know you liked football, Scott.

I'll also be rooting for the Giants because I hate the Patriots and their obnoxious fans.
  • I didn't know you liked football, Scott.
    I don't like sports that much, but I like them more than the other FRC peoples. It's just not so obvious because none of the other people talk about it since they don't care. If I try to even start a conversation about anything even close to sports they just loudly proclaim how much they don't care. I retaliate by doing the same thing when they have conversations about politics.
  • I'll also be rooting for the Giants because I hate the Patriots and their obnoxious fans.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones...
  • Poor Americans.
    Naw, just joking with you. Like whatever you want.
  • Fuck the Giants.
    So, who's your team?
    He really had his heart set on Green Bay.

CLEVELAND BROWNS IN 2009 2209!
  • Go back to watching your boring Cricket.
    Your boring mom. Cricket is made of equal parts Win, Yes and Racism Awesome.
    edited January 2008
    Crazy Americans. You people play rugby, not football. Anyways, we don't do much rugby here. We play proper football. A world-wide game, but good luck though. I'll await the commercials on Youtube.

Also, I never knew how cricket was played. It sounds interesting though. It appears both in the Hitch Hiker's Guide as The Amateur Cracksman.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I'm not sure but I think that football and cricket are together the most popular sports in the world.
    [Bad analogy warning] Sports that are popular in America are much like things that are legal in Russia. Known specifically for that fact.
  • I detest the Patriots with a bitter passion (I like the Ravens so I was pissed when they beat us in the last few minutes) so... GO GIANTS!
  • edited January 2008
    Huh, I haven't seen a football game in forever, I just assumed the NFL disbanded. :P
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Fuck the Giants.
    So, who's your team?
    He really had his heart set on Green Bay.

CLEVELAND BROWNS IN20092209!
    He like Green Bay you say? I don't really hate Green Bay. My hated teams are the Eagles, Jets, and Cowboys. Hard to hate on the Jets lately, though, since they suck so much. I can say this, though. IIRC, Brett Favre has thrown more picks than any other QB ever in his career. Also, he's been playing in the league so long that he used to get sacked by Lawrence Taylor.

Hey, the browns aren't too bad. I don't think they'll be in the Super Bowl next year, but they aren't any longer a shot than the Giants were this year.
  • I used to be a Cowboys fan back in the early 90's, when I was following football. Emmitt Smith was my man. I'm not so excited about them these days.
  • That was a great game... I really didn't think the Giants were going to beat Greenbay...even at the very end. I thought the kicker was going to miss for the 3rd time in OT, but he nailed it. I wonder what the spread will be for the Superbowl? If I were a betting man, I would actually put money on the Giants for the upset... depending on the spread, of course...
  • That was a great game... I really didn't think the Giants were going to beat Greenbay...even at the very end. I thought the kicker was going to miss for the 3rd time in OT, but he nailed it. I wonder what the spread will be for the Superbowl? If I were a betting man, I would actually put money on the Giants for the upset... depending on the spread, of course...
    I think I read that it's New England by 14.
  • The Giants definitely exceeded my expectations for this season, mostly because I expected nothing from them. I also think that the Patriots* are slightly overrated. The Patriots* definitely deserve some credit for their undefeated season, but I don't think they're as dominant as most people seem to think.

I don't think the Giants are a great team either, they've managed to make the best of the situations they've been in lately. I think the Patriots* are in the same boat, just more successfully.

No matter how this game goes, this Patriots* season will always have an asterisk in my book.

/*caught cheating
  • edited January 2008
    For the past 3 years, I have watched the Super Bowl and grown to like American Football more than most American sports (apart from Ice Hockey). I will be watching the Super Bowl this year again and look forward to seeing what Rugby Yawnion player they drag out this year to pretend to be a NFL fan.
    I will be supporting the Patriots mainly because they have the word England in their name.
    Then I will be looking forward to a proper sport season starting again, Super League.
    Post edited by onewild on
  • I think the last time I actually watched American Football was when the Buccaneers (my favorite team) won the Super Bowl in 5 years ago, but then again, the only game I can watch is the Super Bowl and in general I watched less and less sports since then. Ah well, the Bucs barely made it to the playoffs this year (thanks to NFC South being the weakest division) and were taken out by the Giants.

Good luck with taking out the Pats, you're gonna need it.
  • I haven't watched the Super Bowl since XXXV.
  • edited January 2008
    I must say I find your overtime system quite unfair, as it gives an obvious and ridiculous advantage to the offensive team, I really prefer the college football system.

Oh, and I was rooting for the packers.

the Giants are +12 or +12½ depending on the book total set at 53½ (offshore)
    Giants are +13 and 54 (vegas)
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I must say I find your overtime system quite unfair, as it gives an obvious and ridiculous advantage to the offensive team, I really prefer the college football system.
    I agree.
  • Poor Americans.
    Only test cricket matches are boring the rest is all good.