This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2, now with leveling

RymRym
edited January 2008 in Video Games
...new weapons unlocked via achievements earned in the game.
This reeks of bad idea...

Comments

• And so the grinding begins.
  • Wow. Reading more makes me even more uncomfortable with this. TF2 wasn't great, but it wasn't exactly the worst team FPS out there. If they really, seriously go forward with achievement-based equipment, this game is dead to me. -_-
  • Wow. Reading more makes me even more uncomfortable with this. TF2 wasn't great, but it wasn't exactly the worst team FPS out there. If they really, seriously go forward with achievement-based equipment, this game is dead to me. -_-
    Yes, so dead to you that you played it for 5+ hours this weekend.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2008
    If they really, seriously go forward with achievement-based equipment...
    As I said, if they change the game in this way, it will be dead to me. It is not currently dead to me. Reading comprehension ftw.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If they really, seriously go forward with achievement-based equipment...
    As I said, if they change the game in this way, it will be dead to me. It is not currently dead to me. Reading comprehension ftw.
    I'm just pointing out that you only seem to say negative things about this game, yet you seem to have a lot of fun playing it a lot.
  • yet you seem to have a lot of fun playing it a lot.
    I played it one day for some hours. I hadn't played it for weeks before that, and I have not played it since.

It's not an awful game. In fact, it's better than most team/objective based FPSs out there. But, at the same time, it has serious, fundamental flaws that limit its potential. Playing it casually for small amounts of time can still be fun, but playing it every day, like I would and did with many other games, is out of the question.

I feel like the game is dying a slow death. Once it's gone, nothing better will likely replace it for a long time. I have to get as much enjoyment out of it as I can while it still exists.
  • edited January 2008
    I hope you realize you could wait a while and discuss this with each other in person.
    Also, will Natural Selection 2 ever come out?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm surprised no one has anything to say about this... development. ^_~
  • I'm surprised no one has anything to say about this... development. ^_~
    One must speak? What about just laughing?

Anyways, I agree it sounds like a bad move. But don't judge beforehand.
  • edited January 2008
    This sounds similar to the BF2 system which unlocked weapons as you gained points via the ranking system. What was nice about that system is that achievements had nothing to do with it, your score was based solely on how well you performed during your games. Points were determined in three areas; Teamwork, Frags, and specialty points (Kill Assists, Flag Captures, Driver Ability). Teamwork had the most value per action, so helping revive teammates, taking ammo to teammates, flag captures, repairing helped you advance quicker than just killing enemies. It worked very well in my opinion and actually improved gameplay rather than be detrimental to the experience. I was never compelled to grind for weapons or rank because it had little effect on gameplay other than it was a nice flair to a very good game. The game was also extremely well balanced with the new weapons not overpowering and giving an edge to those players to grinded away at the game. I have nothing but favorable memories from BF2.

Now with TF2 if the weapon unlocks are going to be handled by the new style of achievements which are totally arbitrary, I can understand why you guys would get upset. It is something that needs to be handled carefully in order to be done well.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2008
    This could be good but I sort of liked how in TF2 what you do on one server has little effect on what you do on another server. Can someone get a list of these new abilities when they come out? They could be a good thing but it could have been done better than achievements; e.g. if servers could select the load out for each class then you would at least know what everyone has.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • This could be good but I sort of liked how in TF2 what you do on one server has little effect on what you do on another server. Can someone get a list of these new abilities when they come out? They could be a good thing but it could have been done better than achievements; e.g. if servers could select the load out for each class then you would at least know what everyone has.
    Well, I don't think this can be good, but you bring up a good point.

Because people can make their own servers, the "leveling" isn't even skill-based. People can just start their own empty server with their friends and sit around getting all the achievements and weapons. Yet another game where whoever spends the most time doing pointless manual labor gets more stuff.
  • edited January 2008
    Because people can make their own servers, the "leveling" isn't even skill-based. People can just start their own empty server with their friends and sit around getting all the achievements and weapons. Yet another game where whoever spends the most time doing pointless manual labor gets more stuff.
    BF2 required EA verified ranked servers in order for you to level up. All the stats were stored on EA servers so if it wasn't a ranked server which connected to that EA server, it didn't count. They also reset players who exploited the system to gain levels.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2008
    BF2 required EA verified ranked servers in order for you to level up. All the stats were stored on EA servers so if it wasn't a ranked server which connected to that EA server, it didn't count. They also reset players to exploited the system to gain levels.
    No MMORPG in my fps pls kthx.

What if I want to use the extra weapons in a LAN game when there is no net connection?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2008
    What if I want to use the extra weapons in a LAN game when there is no net connection?
    There were server options to enable all unlockable weapons, they just wouldn't be able to be ranked servers. Also, I believe that once you unlocked a weapon you had it for every server that allowed unlockable weapons, ranked or unranked. The connection to the EA servers was only required to verify at the end of the round each players stats and to update them.

Again, the ranking system had little to no effect on gameplay. You could pick up the unlockable weapons from enemies you killed even if you haven't unlocked the weapons, you just couldn't spawn with them. Some were better in some aspects and worse in others but they didn't alter the specific classes in any way that dramatically unbalanced the game. I generally used the standard weapons because they were generally better for my style of gameplay.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Funny how to get a "real" game going on, you would go to the unofficial unranked servers.
  • Funny how to get a "real" game going on, you would go to the unofficial unranked servers.
    "Real"? I'm not sure what you are getting at there... Unranked servers were generally filled with shit-cockery and madness while ranked servers were quite enjoyable.
  • edited January 2008
    "Real"? I'm not sure what you are getting at there... Unranked servers were generally filled with shit-cockery and madness while ranked servers were quite enjoyable.
    In terms of the game itself, it's not really a game of skill if some players have more options available to them. Not that it's a game of skill to begin with, but put in something like this and even the illusion of skill is destroyed.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2008
    In terms of the game itself, it's not really a game of skill if some players have more options available to them. Not that it's a game of skill to begin with, but put in something like this and even the illusion of skill is destroyed.
    I disagree. Everyone starts out on equal footing. Players with more skills in the game and those to work well in the team will advance quicker through the ranks as opposed to those who lone-wolf it. People who just play a long time will advance way too slow that it would be almost impossible to just grind your way through them. You actually need to be good at the game in order to achieve the higher ranks.

Besides, I would argue that BF2 is a game of skill, much more so than TF2. Also, the system implements the idea of realism in the game that is similar to how real world armies work. You don't allow privates to have access to every single weapon and the Chinese armies will use different weapons than the American army. Yes, each side had asymmetrical weapon load-outs, but they were balanced.

I think that this argument is mostly fueled by your bias and claims of hate towards achievement based games. No matter how well done it is, as long as it contains any sort of merit based advancement, you are against it. It's unfortunate really that you can be so closed minded about an issue.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'm not talking about BF2, I'm talking about TF2.

But while we're talking about it, I'm having a hard time understanding this BF2 thing. If I get ranks today, quit, then come back the next day, do I still have the ranks? Is it like money in Counter-Strike where it only lasts for the current game and it resets when you join a new game?
  • I'm not talking about BF2, I'm talking about TF2.
    It sure sounded like you were talking about BF2...

What BF2 did is very different from what TF2 is doing, I'd say. One of the two probably isn't going to work.
  • If I get ranks today, quit, then come back the next day, do I still have the ranks? Is it like money in Counter-Strike where it only lasts for the current game and it resets when you join a new game?
    The ranking system and unlockables can be used on all servers which allow them, but only ranked servers record and send back points as well as stats.
  • Judging by the GeekNights episode on Achievements, isn't this idea of gameplay progress based on arbitrary acheivements essentially one of Scott's greatest fears in all of gaming?
  • Here is an example of all the stats that the EA servers keep for each player. This is my profile.
  • The ranking system and unlockables can be used on all servers which allow them, but only ranked servers record and send back points as well as stats.
    So let's say some fps gaming god comes into the game never having played before. He won't have as many weapons as someone with less fps skills who has been playing for months? Is that what you are saying?
  • edited January 2008
    So let's say some fps gaming god comes into the game never having played before. He won't have as many weapons as someone with less fps skills who has been playing for months? Is that what you are saying?
    Yes, but 9/10 times the less skilled player will still die. He will also gain access to the weapons at a much faster rate than the "grinder".

Unfortunately, just like the real world, there are some things you have to earn. Maybe I'm not like you, but I don't always expect to have everything handed to me on a silver platter.
    Post edited by Andrew on

• Unfortunately, just like the real world, there are some things you have to earn. Maybe I'm not like you, but I don't always expect to have everything handed to me on a silver platter.
    I expect in a fair game between people that all players have the same options available. How would you like a game of advance wars if I can build tanks, but you can only build infantry? Not a very good game.
  • edited January 2008
    I expect in a fair game between people that all players have the same options available. How would you like a game of advance wars if I can build tanks, but you can only build infantry? Not a very good game.
    The game is still fair. Like I said, the new weapons are not necessarily better, they are just different. I think you are using an unfair analogy.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The game is still fair. Like I said, the new weapons are not necessarily better, they are just different. I think you are using an unfair analogy.
    To have a balanced game either all players have to work with the same rules (Monopoly, Quake) or players need to work under different rules that are effectively equal (Dune, Starcraft). This is what we mean when we talk about symmetric games vs. asymmetric games. To have a game where some players simply have more options available to them than other players is not a fair and pure competition.

If, as you say, the extra options are not better, just different, then they are just extra clutter and fluff.

Things like nuclear missiles in Command and Conquer, get out of jail free cards in Monopoly, or even the rocket launcher in Quake, are OK because you earn them within the context of the current game, and all players have equal opportunity to earn them within the context of the game. If I understand this BF mechanic correctly, it's like someone starting with $100 extra in the next game of Monopoly because they were the winner of the last game of Monopoly. That just doesn't make for decent multiplayer gaming.
  • That just doesn't make for decent multiplayer gaming.
    How would you know? You never played the game.