This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2, now with leveling

124»

Comments

• At least this shows that their shit ain't working. Counter-Strike and CivV are beating TF2 despite their best efforts.
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
  • edited October 2010
    At least this shows that their shit ain't working. Counter-Strike and CivV are beating TF2 despite their best efforts.
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
    Being in the top five what 2 years after launch is still ridiculously good (especially in the age where people job from shooter to shooter)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • especially in the age where people job from shooter to shooter
    Nobody is jobbing. They're all still playing Counter-Strike.
  • imageStill Gobing?
  • Well people sorta do the "Oh a new shooter" play for a few months and then go back to counterstrike or team fortress though more so to counterstrike. The fact that it's in the top 5 2 years after release is still great for it. Most shooters are a flash in the pan.
  • edited October 2010
    The fact that it's in the top 5 2 years after release is still great for it. Most shooters are a flash in the pan.
    I think the reason they keep adding new shit to it is to keep it afloat. If they didn't update it constantly it would probably be around the same level as L4D and L4D2. Counter-Strike don't need no updates to keep people playing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2010
    The fact that it's in the top 5 2 years after release is still great for it. Most shooters are a flash in the pan.
    I think the reason they keep adding new shit to it is to keep it afloat. If they didn't update it constantly it would probably be around the same level as L4D and L4D2. Counter-Strike don't need no updates to keep people playing.
    I mostly read that it brings eyeballs to Steam, where people will/could buy games, which in turns makes Valve money.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • The fact that it's in the top 5 2 years after release is still great for it. Most shooters are a flash in the pan.
    I mostly read that it brings eyeballs to Steam, where people will/could buy games, which in turns makes Valve money.
    Oh, smart.
  • As always, Rym and Scott are taking themselves too seriously. TF2 is just a game. It's a pretty good one. I played last night, and the new content didn't hurt me in the slightest. I was there to have fun. I killed more people than killed me; I did it by being clever and using the right tools and skill sets in the right situations despite the "disadvantage" of not having a sniper fishing hat with no stat modifiers.

I think there are two basic premise problems here. The first is that games have to be fair. They don't. As a matter of fact, they are more rewarding for me when I overcome stacked odds. The second is that the point of a TF2 match is to "win." It's not. Winning is moot because there are no real consequences for losing a multiplayer round. The point is to blow as much shit up as possible, then respawn.
  • edited October 2010
    The first is that games have to be fair.
    We're not saying games have to be fair.

We're saying unfair games are shit.

When I play a competitive multi-player game, I'm playing for one reason, to win.

If you just want to tool around and see silly stuff, play Garry's Mod.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You're so binary, Scott. The whole world in black and white. Either play as hard as you can or slack off entirely. There's no casual gaming middle ground?
  • You're so binary, Scott. The whole world in black and white. Either play as hard as you can or slack off entirely. There's no casual gaming middle ground?
    For babies.
  • There's no casual gaming middle ground?
    Most things people call "casual" games aren't games by any reasonable definition. In the very least, they're games only in the same way that patty cake is a game. Farmville tests no skill.

There is a place for games like TF2. People obviously enjoy it. But we personally find the game to be, basically, a childish and uninteresting game made worse by clear meddling for purposes of monetization.

You're free to like TF2 and Monopoly and Risk and Farmville. I'm free to say that, for my definition of a game, they're poor performers.

Also, while there is indeed a middle ground, TF2 is skewing further and further to the shit side of the spectrum, much like DDO.
  • For babies.
  • Either play as hard as you can or slack off entirely.
    I play hard or I don't play. If I want non-competitive entertainment, I make something or roleplay. If I want passive entertainment, I watch a movie or read a book.

Even in noncompetitive games, Burning Wheel or Freemarket have much better mechanism design than, say, Dungeons & Dragons. I thus play the games that better provide what I want.

In a competitive FPS, I want skill-based competition against other people. TF2 barely offers that.
  • Anyone for Tribes 2 this weekend? I'm getting pretty good.
  • Anyone for Tribes 2 this weekend? I'm getting pretty good.
    Sunday is the only free day, and I'll honestly say that I'd rather play Civ V.

Temping, though... Tempting indeed...
  • My current grand plan it so attack an enemy base in an upside-down transport. Barrel rolling a shrike doesn't seem hard enough.
  • My current grand plan it so attack an enemy base in an upside-down transport. Barrel rolling a shrike doesn't seem hard enough.
    Do it while it's filled with heavies firing mortars.
  • That's the idea, superbomber time.
  • Sunday Civ V we should!
  • I agree with the person who said that they like the atmosphere of TF2 more than the actual gameplay. However, it's become kind of the default after hours game at the office because it has fairly forgiving controls, it is simple, and accessible to people who spend most of their time playing console games.
  • I agree with the person who said that they like the atmosphere of TF2 more than the actual gameplay. However, it's become kind of the default after hours game at the office because it has fairly forgiving controls, it is simple, and accessible to people who spend most of their time playing console games.
    I think that's one of the basic charms of Team Fortress 2. The art style, the wonderful voice acting, and the class-based system, which is pretty rare in a FPS. (I bet it's happened before, but it works phenomenally in TF2)

I enjoy it for those reasons. I've been on teams where you are stomping on the opposition, and ones where you get stomped on constantly. And while I do agree that it's broken for them to add in a "Buy-in" Option/Equipment System, I don't think it's going to kill the game at all. Even during the updates, with the first wave of new weapons for Spy/Scout/Pyro, they just added new ways to enjoy the game and add some diversity to the game play. I don't ever think the tweaks have made certain opponents superior to others. It's simply with the skill of the player him/herself.

In terms of a casual game, I never think of Farmville or just stuff that's popular. I'd rather think of Wii Sports Games, or Popcap Games such as Bejeweled and Peggle. Fantastic time-killing games that are really entertaining in their sheer simplicity.