This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Music of 2007.

Comments

• Two 2007 albums I love:

Declan de Barra
    Tara Busch

Yes, I bought the MP3s from CDBaby. Everything else I bought was either old, like the new 70 CD boxed set of Maria Callas, or obtained by 'other' means.

I play all my music on my XBox 360 or MP3 player and I don't use shuffle.
  • I'm not a fan of albums, but here's a list of songs I can get behind: Triple J's Hottest 100 of 2007. I've voted in it for over a decade, and rarely does it produce a bad list. In fact, I've got all the songs on my iPod right now and I'm working my way through them. Best part it, this year's number 1 track was once a Thing of the Day. Must have been the Geeknights vote that got it there.
  • I basically ignore "albums" from artists and just listen to music. ;^)
    and
    I'm not a fan of albums,
    I love "albums". I like to just sit down and listen to an album, a collection of music the artist/band put together, fully intending for it to be heard as a whole. Most of the time when I do this it's classic rock, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and many others. Albums produced by those groups were intended to be played as one piece. Take Black Sabbath's Sabotage for example, if you have not done this grab the album, and listen to it from track one forward (gap-less if possible), and listen to it loud for full effect.

My favorite album of 2007 was Infected Mushroom's Vicious Delicious.
  • Faunts-M4. Not new in 2007, but that's when I heard about them. They aren't really well known so I think thats good enough to count.
    Listen to Sigur Ros.
  • There hasn't been a good album since The Dark Side of The Moon.
  • There hasn't been a good album sinceThe Dark Side of The Moon.
    LOL LOOK AT ME I'M PRETENTIOUS.
  • Disregard every album I mentioned in this thread. I got Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective today. It is by far the greatest album of 2007. It is stunning. You can find it on The Pirate Bay. Here's the song Derek.
  • edited February 2008
    There hasn't been a good album sinceThe Dark Side of The Moon.
    Ok, This is what we like to call having an opinion.

In the last year I discovered last.fm so I have really gotten into music at last (may not be from 2007),
    Boss For Leader by Slagsmålsklubben was ok.
    Whiskey on a Sunday by Flogging molly, like it.
    Art in motion by Andy McKee is amazing guitar skill.
    Alive 2007 by Daft Punk had some epic moments.
    Modal Soul both by Nujabes (guy who did Samurai Chlampoo opening.) was flipping awesome.
    In Rainbows by Radiohead, meh, good for background music but little more.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • PRETENTIOUS.
    *gasp* You said a bad word!
  • Ok, This is what we like to call having an opinion.
    A retarded opinion.
  • edited February 2008
    Ok, This is what we like to call having an opinion.
    A retarded opinion.
    See, expressing your own isn't so hard.

"Everybody express your opinion!"
    Omnutia: "I'm mad as hell and I cant take it any more!!"
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I just grabbed Iced Earth's Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part I. Unfortunately, I grabbed the promo, which has Jon Schaffer's voice watermarked into every song. I'll give my opinion once I grab a non-watermarked version.

Also, I'm wicked excited that Matt Barlow is back in the band. He'll be singing for the next installment, Revelation Abomination.
  • Oh, I forgot Hvarf-Heim by Sigur Rós. It's pretty damn amazing.
  • edited February 2008
    There hasn't been a good album sinceThe Dark Side of The Moon.
    Not at all. It's just that, for me, The Dark Side of The Moon said everything that needed to be said. Ever. All that's happened since has been superfluous. I'm only being honest.

I was nearly able to feel that way about The Final Cut, but it was a little too cheery for my taste.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Not at all. It's just that, for me,The Dark Side of The Moonsaid everything that needed to be said. Ever. All that's happened since has been superfluous. I'm only being honest.

I was nearly able to feel that way aboutThe Final Cut, but it was a little too cheery for me.
    How did it say all that needed to be said? That doesn't make any sense. Listen to some Radiohead, and I'm sure you'll change your mind. Also, Meddle and Piper at the Gates of Dawn are far superior to The Dark Side of the Moon.
  • I don't understand at all why people like Radiohead. I listened to In Rainbows because, well, it was $0.00. I found it very mediocre. Please tell me there's something I'm missing.
  • edited February 2008
    I don't understand at all why people like Radiohead. I listened toIn Rainbowsbecause, well, it was $0.00. I found it very mediocre. Please tell me there's something I'm missing.
    In Rainbows is not a good album for getting into Radiohead. It's bleak, soft, and a bit boring. Listen to Pablo Honey, Hail to the Thief, and OK Computer. My favorite is Hail, and it is also $0.00 on The Pirate Bay.

Here are some of their best tracks (ignore the crap videos):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1906422553403437987
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6728220926855423486
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4500343259683111888
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Listen to some Radiohead, and I'm sure you'll change your mind.
    I did. I didn't.
    Also,MeddleandPiper at the Gates of Dawnare far superior toThe Dark Side of the Moon.
    Ummmmm . . . no, they're not.
  • What makes Dark Side so great then?
  • edited February 2008
    What makes Dark Side so great then?
    Why it's amazing in the technical sense:
    -Recorded by the band and staff engineer Alan Parsons at Abbey Road Studios between June 1972 and January 1973, the album sessions made use of the most advanced techniques available for recording instruments and sound effects in rock music at that time. Along with the conventional rock band instrumentation, Pink Floyd added prominent synthesisers to their sound, as well as Alan Parsons devising and recording some unconventional noises: an assistant engineer running around the studio's echo chamber (during "On the Run"); during the song "Time", myriad antique clocks chiming simultaneously, and a specially-treated bass drum made to sound like a human heartbeat.

-Another novelty of the recording is the metronomic and rhythmic sequence of sound effects played during "Speak to Me" and "Money". This was achieved by laboriously splicing together recordings of ringing cash registers, clinking coins, tearing paper, and buzzing counting machines onto a two-track tape loop (later adapted to four tracks in order to create a unique "walk around the room" effect in quadrophonic presentations of the album). The sonic experimentation on the album required every member of the band to operate the faders simultaneously in order to mix down the intricately assembled multitrack recordings of several of the songs (particularly "On the Run").

-Parsons and the band also perfected the use of other studio techniques such as the doubletracking of vocals and guitars (allowing David Gilmour to harmonise flawlessly with himself), flanging and phase shifting effects, odd trickery with reverb and the panning of sounds between channels. To this day, audiophiles use The Dark Side of the Moon as a reference standard to test the fidelity of audio equipment.[12]. Even by today's standards, it is considered to be one of the highest quality recordings of all time, despite the fact that it was originally mixed from third-generation tape with Dolby noise reduction. This is attributed to Parsons' superior sound engineering, and to the amount of time he put into the album. He once said in an interview that he swapped shifts with colleagues in order to work on the whole project.

-Snippets of dialogue between and over songs are also featured on the recording. Roger Waters devised a method of interviewing people, whereby questions were printed on flashcards in sequential order and the subject's responses were recorded uninterrupted. The questions related to central themes of the album such as madness, violence, and death. Participants were commandeered from around Abbey Road, placed in the darkened studio in front of a microphone, and told to answer the questions in the order which they were presented. This provoked some surprising responses to subsequent questions. For example, the question "When was the last time you were violent?" was immediately followed by "Were you in the right?"

-Some of the profits from The Dark Side of the Moon were invested in the making of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The members of Pink Floyd were reportedly huge Monty Python fans, to the point of interrupting recording sessions to watch the Flying Circus.
    Why it's amazing in the musical sense.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I understand that Dark Side is a great album, but I'm more curious as to why Aaron dismisses all the music made after it.
  • Because he's old.
  • Because he's old.
    Fair enough.
  • edited February 2008
    Because he's old.
    Fair enough.
    What about Hemispheres and 2112 by Rush? I can understand if you said that Dark Side is your favorite album, and no other album has been as amazing as Dark Side, but there have been good albums since then. Even if you don't think they're as great as Dark Side, they are still good. Listen to Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective; you may like it. It's innovative, and very well done. Or even Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
  • I'm not really sure what my favorite was this year, since I have been getting into a lot of music recently (which makes the whole year thing irrelevant). Some of my favorites:

Maritime's Heresy and the Hotel Choir (Guns of Navarone)
    One Mississippi's Self-Titled EP (Site)
    Days Away's Ear Candy for the Head Phone Trippers - EP (I'm Sorry I Told You All My Problems)

And desperately waiting for Death Cab's Narrow Stairs, which comes out in May.
  • Every new Death Cab song sounds the same.
  • edited February 2008
    What aboutHemispheresand2112by Rush? I can understand if you said that Dark Side is your favorite album, and no other album has been as amazing as Dark Side, but therehavebeen good albums since then. Even if you don't think they're as great as Dark Side, they are still good. Listen toStrawberry Jamby Animal Collective; you may like it. It's innovative, and very well done. Or evenLift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by GodspeedYou! Black Emperor.
    I listened to some new stuff, and I'll have to say you're right. Hannah Montana is just fabulous and represents the apex of musical acheivement for your generation.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • No need to be a jerk about it. Just because all the new music that is popular is shit doesn't mean that all new music is bad. Just listen to this song and tell me what you think. It's called Storm and it's by the modern rock group Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
  • edited February 2008
    Just because all the new music that is popular is shit
    I used to write off all popular music as shit too in my naive youth. But then I realized I liked The White Stripes, and Gorillaz, and Green Day, and OKGO.

[Edit]And lol Hannah Montana.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2008
    I used to write off all popular music as shit too in my naive youth. But then I realized I liked The White Stripes, and Gorillaz, and Green Day, and OKGO.
    I meant popular as in super popular, like when you turn on the radio and three stations are playing the same couple of songs over and over again. I listen to a lot of non-indie music, but nothing I listen to ever gets looped on television and the radio the way Hannah Montana, Soldier Boy, and the rest of that garbage is.