This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack (Concept Sketch Dump)

Comments

• I'm working on this right now.

Go to the first page of this thread. That is the earliest sketch of Stitches. 2008 was a suck year for me in drawing! Ugh~!

The first two are some concept art for a game that I wanted to make that would be a 2d mix between Bayonetta and... some anthropomorphic character.

The second is a concept for a game that I'm not really sure would work or be fun but I still want to do it.

I'm not really an artist but I like to draw.

• I just caught up on Homestuck and I drew an Eridan to celebrate. I'll colour him in later.
  • My icon approves.

• edited March 2012
    Okay, so this isn't a sketch, but it is a concept for a work of art, so hear me out.

So around late October my Kindle keyboard froze overnight. It got stuck on one page and never recovered. I had to replace it (I got a nook tablet), but I held onto it, keeping it in my desk drawer. Tonight, I was going though my desk when I stumbled upon it, still on that page. Looking at it, knowing that the page could never be turned one way or the other, I realized it was as if it was a book with its pages glue in place. Then I thought, "Man, that's a pretty artsy thing to think. I bet if I framed it, some museum would buy it as some kind of statement on technology or whatever."

So here is a mock-up I threw together in photoshop of what it would look like.

With it would probably be a placard or something reading something like:
    "This Kindle ceased functioning some time between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. on October 28th, 2010. The page displayed, from "Game Theory 101: The Basics" by William Spaniel, will never change, the pages of this book glued in place ad infinitum" with the name of the piece being something like "Unturned" (oooh, poetic).

I'd only ever make it if I thought someone might buy it. What do you folks think? Would someone buy that?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If it were frozen on a page of a famous book, you'd be guaranteed a sale. A famous page of a famous book would be better still. Not sure if a page of Game Theory 101: The Basics would have the same impact.
  • But- But it's REAL!
  • Have you taken it apart to see if it can be fixed?
  • edited March 2012
    Yup; even tried connecting to the on board serial port to see if I could get anything but not so much as a blip. It wont even register as a USB device. Maybe it got roasted from a fucked up firmware update. *shrug*
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Would you read a webcomic that looked like this/what can I do to make this better?

• That blurry text is the only thing that bothers me.
    Agreed, but it is pretty good otherwise. I wish I could draw that well, or at all, so I could get the webcomic I want to do start but alas it will probably never happen. You got the skills, go for it.

Oh, about the text, why is it blurry? I am guessing you had a reason therefore I would like to know it before I make any recommendations.
  • He is supposed to be yelling or whatever, so it was just a thing I tried for the sake of making it dynamic. Didn't work I guess! Learn something new every day.
  • Yeah, I can dig that art style.
    Agreed, but it is pretty good otherwise. I wish I could draw that well, or at all, so I could get the webcomic I want to do start but alas it will probably never happen. You got the skills, go for it.
    It's always surprising when I meet a modeler who can't draw 2D stuff. It's like they have understanding of the forms and muscle, but they can convert it to 2D. Drawing and Sculpting are so tied in my mind, it's hard to imagine doing it any other way. You should do a 3D webcomic!
  • I've decided to go ahead on the webcomic project, so I dusted off my old notes, scripts, and character designs and started updating them. I've got a writer friend helping me edit and I hope to start throwing out page thumbnails after PAX. I'm also going to be making 3d model references for ships, planes and maybe rooms to make them easier to draw from various angles.

The comic is an idea I had way back in 2006; initially it was a quick flash movie for a media class of steampunk spaceships beating the tar out of each other. However, I became attached to the idea and developed a setting, characters and plot out of it. I had a few abortive attempts at making it as a physical paper-and-ink affair, but the extremely intensive demands of inking combined with my lack of skill and insufficient materials (I was doing it all on 8.5x11!) made it unworkable, and I shelved it in 2009.

It's called Rule, Britannia!

Rule, Britannia! is the story of the Her Majesty's Aetheric Ship Britannia, the newest and largest steam-powered dreadnought, cut off from supply at the edge of the solar system where the luminiferous aether hardens to ice, and it's attempts to get home in the face of opposition from the Kaiser and his fleet, uncovering dark secrets about the exodus from Earth and the nature of their world in the process. Inspired by Flyboys andBattlestar Galactica, it's got romance, pulp sci-fi action, political intrigue, and open-cockpit space biplanes.

These two are the male leads, Marcus and Andrew (left and right). Marcus is the ship's Head Engineer, a genius in his own right whose achievements are overshadowed and undervalued in an age of supernatural mad scientists called Prodigy, which hangs like a dark cloud over his friendship with Andrew, the last known surviving Prodigy. Andrew is a celebrity and a hero from a young age, who leads the Britannia's Computer department; which is to say, a room full of eggheads with slide rules. Though practically worshipped by a population who hope he'll make the breakthrough that will lead the overwhelmed British fleet to victory, the poor guy just wants to be left alone with his numbers.

Marcus never had a very well-defined design in my early notes, so I went with something a little rough and tumble; sleeves rolled up, pads on his knees, and his uniform in terrible disarray. He wears his medals to remind everyone of his qualifications, and I scruffied up his sideburns a bit. Big work gloves put the focus on his hands.

By contrast, Andrew was well-defined; tall and scrawny from a combination of puberty in low gravity and his generally weedines, with a bow tie, hair that's combed right but too long, like he's always forgetting to have it cut, and a long coat. I changed his coat from black to white to emphasis his detachment and professor-y qualities, and made it too big for him; when he slouches or shrinks away, which is often, he'll sort of sink into it. It also covers up his rank insignia, rank he doesn't feel he's earned. He's always had a bad leg and carried a cane, but I added a leg brace in order to emphasis it and show instead of tell.

Thoughts?
  • I'd totally read that! Never been much for steampunk, but I love the character designs and the premise is right up my alley.
  • I said before, I like the art style, and with that, I can add I'd read the comic. I mean, sure, the art is a little rough at this point, but you're not even doing the comic yet, you'll improve over time, and I've not seen any of the writing yet, but you've got a cool premise that could yield some rather interesting stories.
  • The initial line work is done on these, but I haven't cleaned them up or coloured them yet, so I thought I would put them here. They are the first three of the Heroine side of my Art Nouveau Disney series. Each of these drawings will have a villain as well, but I only have one done right now.
  • I love it. Although the Alice one looks a little weird with her mouth open like that. But I still love it.
  • That's fantastic. I'm more jelly than a five ton trifle.
  • What is Cinderella doing with her hands?
  • I was trying to both emulate how she looked in the movie after her dress was transformed and how her personality changed after it happened. She became a lot more confident an dignified, but I guess that isn't coming off very well.
  • That's the wrong Alice. Keep practising, keep getting better.
  • Is it bad that when I first saw the creatures next to Alice looking up at her I thought they were looking up her dress?
  • edited April 2012

I did this for school, but my friend Austin wants to use it for a jumping-off point to make a pulpy, trope-filled low-sim RPG called Gumshoe, with him doing the crunch and me doing the fluff. I am interested but I have so many irons in the fire. :(
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Crap I messed it up, let me repost.

Hopy shit, this digital painting thing is starting to go somewhere.