This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ownership Laws

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Riddle me this, If I bought something that is completely legal and with my own money and I am 18, doesn't that make it legally mine and doesn't that make it so that no one can keep it away from me unless it is by a legal force? Am I correct or am I completely off base?

Comments

• Riddle me this, If I bought something that is completely legal and with my own money and I am 18, doesn't that make it legally mine and doesn't that make it so that no one can keep it away from me unless it is by a legal force? Am I correct or am I completely off base?
    I am not a lawyer, but I believe you are completely correct. I am guessing you are having a problem with your parents trying to confiscate your things. If this is the case, there may be a problem because you are probably also living on, or at least standing in, your parents private property. Even if you can get them on stealing, they can get you on trespassing. Don't be stupid.
  • Yeah, my mom took away my Wii and my DS.
  • Yeah, my mom took away my Wii and my DS.
    I assume for a legitimate reason? ;^)
  • edited March 2008
    Define legitimate reason. She took them away because I bombed on a math quiz which lowered my grade to a below par level and messed up my interim.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Define legitimate reason. She took them away because I bombed on a math quiz which lowered my grade to a below par level and messed up my interim.
    I would call that legitimate.
  • edited March 2008
    If your grade in that class was unstable enough that something as small as a quiz was able to "ruin" it, then you should probably be trying harder anyway.

Wait... I'm having deja vu... Haven't we had this conversation with you before?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Haven't we had this conversation with you before?
    4 pages of this conversation before.
  • If your grade in that class was unstable enough that something as small as a quiz was able to "ruin" it, then you should probably be trying harder anyway.
    I wouldn't quite agree with that. I recently got half credit on a physics notebook check (about 23/48) and it dropped me form a B+ to a C-. This is partially my fault for forgetting it, but also I wouldn't consider a B+ unstable enough for one grade to screw me over as bad as it did.
  • I guess it depends on what the quiz is worth. But regardless, a quiz should mean "small". I would not consider notebook checks to be small since they are usually worth a test grade, in my experience.
  • I guess it depends on what the quiz is worth. But regardless, a quiz should mean "small". I would not consider notebook checks to be small since they are usually worth a test grade, in my experience.
    Seriously? I'm glad I don't go to your school then. Most of my science classes don't care so much about homework or notes unless you're failing.
  • You've got a right to keep your Wii. She's got a right to kick you out of the house. You tell me which is more valuable.

Sounds to me like you have a mother that cares about you. But of course we've been trying to tell you that for some time now.
  • She took them away because I bombed on a math quiz
    Would you not have bombed it if you'd studied instead of gaming?
  • Did you pay for the Wii with your own earnings?
  • You've got a right to keep your Wii.
    Now, how are you going to enforce it? Do you plan to sue your mom? Can you afford a lawyer? Can you afford the filing fee for small claims court? Even if you do, you're on the losing side because your mom has the right to make rules for your behavior while you're in her house.

If you're so hot to protect your rights, man up and move out. See how long you last in the adult world. I have a hint: not long.
  • I must say that, as a high school senior, I am sort of in the same boat, although my mother doesn't care as much about my grades as yours does. Just try to get through your final year doing the best you can.

Also, I have a firm opinion that notebook checks, or notebook tests, as they are called at my school, are the fucking stupidest things in the god-damned world. I have had multiple classes where keeping a notebook counted for more than twice what my final exam for the class did.
  • edited March 2008
    Okay, I understand what some people are saying about this being similar to the other topic. I actually started this thread to get the question answered, not to vent about my mom. If I was going to bitch and moan about it I would say something along the lines of "we only had about five grades in the class, four of which were very small (homeworks and such). I had brought my grades up substantially (just barely keeping my 3.0 average last year but getting a 3.57 this year) and that I had my Wii and DS back only on weekends, plus the fact that the interims don't mean anything. They aren't recorded on any sort of personal record or transcript and that they only exist to tell you how you are doing and to show you where you need to improve."
    If I was venting, I would say something along those lines.
    EDIT: I did pay for both my Wii and my DS with my own money and I understand that my mom makes the rules, but they shouldn't be able to break any sort of ownership law.
  • As I said before, if you're 18 and you don't like your parent's rules, move out and see how well you do on your own.

What, you don't want to do that? Then quit yer bitchin'.
  • As I said before, if you're 18 and you don't like your parent's rules, move out and see how well you do on your own.

What, you don't want to do that? Then quit yer bitchin'.
    I didn't start this thread to bitch! I started it to get some clarity on ownership laws!
  • I didn't start this thread to bitch! I started it to get some clarity on ownership laws!
    Are your really going to sue your mom? Or is this just hyperbole?
  • If you were going to go after your mom, it wouldn't be suing. It would be simply calling the police and charging her with theft/burglary/whatever.
  • If you were going to go after your mom, it wouldn't be suing. It would be simply calling the police and charging her with theft/burglary/whatever.
    Whatever, it still sounds like hyperbole.
    Whatever, it still sounds like hyperbole.
    Hyperbole + Reality = Fark.
  • edited March 2008
    The cops wouldn't take a charge because it would be at most a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of an officer. If he tried to convince the cops it should be treated as a felony, he wouldn't get anywhere because of the value of the consoles and the fact that his mom still has them in their house. He wouldn't get anywhere with the theft bit in warrant court because he'd have to convince a prosecutor to allow him to take a warrant out against his mom. I don't think there's a prosecutor alive willing to do that. He might make a argument that she committed the tort of conversion, but to do that, he'd have to get her into court by suing her. To sue her, he'd need a lawyer or, at the very least, the filing fee for small claims court. He would still fail.

So he's looking at either suing his mom or asking to have his mom arrested. Over a couple of video game consoles. What a sympathetic victim. That's a good way to get your name in News of the Weird, but it won't get you your vidja games back.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What I was actually trying to do was to make sure that I understood the law and I would possibly show her the law and have her understand it. I am not going to sue, press charges, or anything similar to that. I just want clarity.
  • edited March 2008
    The law is that as long as you are going to school and living under her roof you do as she says. The clarity is you should have studied harder and not played so many goddamned videogames.
  • edited March 2008
    The law supports parental discipline of children. As long as you are living as a child, then you've got no hope my friend.

You need to understand that property law as it applies to two adults is not the same as property law as it applies to a parent and a child - even if you bought the Wii.

Keep in mind that you could afford the Wii because she doesn't charge you for room, board, etc. So if you want to fight this war, be prepared to lose big time.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited March 2008
    The law is that as long as you are going to school and living under her roof you do as she says. The clarity is you should have studied harder and not played so many goddamned videogames.
    I haven't played video games for more that about two hours in a day that I have been able to play (most of which were weekends and breaks) since last summer. The last time I was able to play my DS was on the plane when I flew out to California which was about two weeks ago and before that it was most likely winter break when I played last.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, two hours a day is obviously too much. Now you'll have more time to study.
  • Even if they did not take the Wii and DS from you they can take away your access to AC power, thus nullifying the benefit of owning these two devices. It is simply easier for the parent to take away the device than try to stop you from plugging it in and using it when they are not around.
  • I don't want this to become another long discussion of "why I think my mom is evil" because I don't think that. I'm not trying to defend my position, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wanted clarification.