This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ownership Laws

13»

Comments

• Oh, I'm sure we could stay on topic in "the best of all possible worlds" Prof. Pangloss, but that's not the way the game is played in the Ringling Bros. Arts & Crafts School.
  • I'll bring the finger paints.
  • I'll bring the finger paints.
    Yeah! I love finger paints. Seriously.
  • Go to your friends house and play his Wii and DS.
  • Wow, this is amazing. It starts out with a fight over ownership laws, and has turned into a bashing of Li_Akahi's entire future.

Seriously, can we lay off this? He has a right to choose what colleges he goes to and he has a right to make what grades he wants. If his parents don't like that, then they can take whatever they want away and he'll have to deal with it (which he doesn't seem to be doing so well).
  • edited March 2008
    In my opinion, using the law to get yourself out of a situation is not a mature way to handle things.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I get amazing grades. I'm not going to pretend that Li_Akahi didn't get a higher GPA than me last semester. But we all have our own "pars" which are based on a combination of what our parents' pressures are and how hard we are willing to work for whatever amount of payoff. If Li didn't meet those pars then he either needs to reassess his own standards or have a talk with his mom about her standards. The best way to handle this whole thing is to show his mom that she doesn't have to take away his Wii to motivate him to be responsible.

Li_Akahi, you need to step up and be mature about the situation by either
    a) working a little harder over the next few weeks to show your mom you can fix the situation on your own or
    b) just get the grades you want and have an adult conversation with your mom about how your grades and your future should be solely your choice.

You're an adult now. All you have to do is show her.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Seriously, can we lay off this? He has a right to choose what colleges he goes to and he has a right to make what grades he wants.
    I don't care at all which college he chooses to attend. It wouldn't have come up at all if he hadn't been crowing about how smart he is and what good grades he makes. When I pointed out that his mom didn't take away his toys because he was making good grades, he started talking about how he was accepted into really good colleges. That's tantamount to begging to have the quality of those colleges called into question.
  • Seriously, can we lay off this? He has a right to choose what colleges he goes to and he has a right to make what grades he wants.
    I don't care at all which college he chooses to attend. It wouldn't have come up at all if he hadn't been crowing about how smart he is and what good grades he makes. When I pointed out that his mom didn't take away his toys because he was making good grades, he started talking about how he was accepted into really good colleges. That's tantamount to begging to have the quality of those colleges called into question.
    Fair enough.
  • edited March 2008
    ...he started talking about how he was accepted into really good colleges.
    I only said that MICA was a good college.
    Yeah! I love finger paints. Seriously.
    I did finger painting two years ago in my art class, we had to paint our faces by pressing our fingertips in some ink and then onto the paper (rather than the other way of using finger prints in which you actually use your finger like a paintbrush). It took for ever!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on