This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080320 - Getting Into Animation

RymRym
edited March 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, with special co-host Emily instead of the usual Scott, we talk about what it takes and what it's like to be an animator. In the news, Rym talks a little about politics.

Emily's Thing - Puricute
Rym's Thing - Miracle Goal

Comments

• Go to work.
  • Ooh nice. I look forward to listening. Rym talking about politics and Emily talking about her thing.
  • instead of the usual Scott
    Go to work.
    Wartime ^_~
  • ...Did I ramble? I feel like I didn't 'splain well enough. I was like...being an animator is cool, but you have to draw a lot and uh...yeah.

On that note, I'd like to answer any questions regarding being an animator. Fire away.
  • edited March 2008
    I love your voice, Emily.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • I love your voice, Emily.
    Hey, that's not a question! ...but...thanks, that's nice of you. *blush*
  • ...Did I ramble? I feel like I didn't 'splain well enough. I was like...being an animator is cool, but you have to draw a lot and uh...yeah.

On that note, I'd like to answer any questions regarding being an animator. Fire away.
    You did ramble, but it kept it interesting. =3

Ah, I do have a question - okay, two. How do you figure out whether an animation school will be okay? And.. Have you ever heard of Art Instruction, Inc? It's apparently a correspondence course for art...

^_^ You should be a guest more! I really liked it.
  • A lot of the time, the rambling's the best part.
  • There are a few things you should think about when choosing an animation school.

1. You should decided whether you are looking for an (a) rounded, university type education with liberal arts and sciences as well as your film (b) Art school where you do mostly arts. or (c) A tech school that is all about animation and gives you a certificate instead of a degree (such as the NY Film Institute) I got a nice scholarship to Pratt, an art school in Brooklyn, but I chose NYU because I could take stuff like East Asian History courses, Japanese, Dramatic Writing, and Computer Science. The University setting was best because I wanted more than just animation and film. However, if you want to go to a tech school for a year, the only warning I would give is that they focus less on storytelling-creative aspects and more on how to make the animation look good. A good writing program is very helpful if you want to get in any position to make story decisions in a film.

2. Do the professors have experience in the field? Part of animation school is learning not only to draw but what the job is like. Having professors that can guide you and advise you about that, and will also hook you up with job and internship opportunities. Plus they have awesome stories.

3. Critique. It's important to get feedback from your professors and fellow students. Make sure you choose a program with decent portfolio requirements, and a serious focus on improving your skills. A "do your own thing" approach does not make you as good as having to screen something every week and listen to everyone pointing out what sucks.

I don't know about Art Instruction INC, but in general I am leery of correspondence courses. There is not the interaction between peers and teacher that is so helpful in the creative process, and you can't learn from other's mistakes as well as your own. However, "Animation Mentor" has been mentioned as being a good, if slightly expensive online program. I'd say that rather than send away for a mail order course, take a painting or, better yet, figure drawing course at the local community college. That can be really fun and helpful.
  • Oh thank you. <3 It's much easier looking through colleges when I know what to ask.
  • Random thoughts on the episode:
    You should have recorded a new "let's do this" for this episode :)
    Nice to hear Emily again.
    Florida is a dick, both in shape and in elections.
    Toskala will never hear the end of that goal. Good thing the Leafs pulled it out.
  • Ah, that story about the rooms and Rym sacrificing himself has been told before. Though still funny and the newer listeners will know it now too.

Rym: "But I feel like we could do an interesting show If we got, like, several Front Row Crew people who've all seen the same show, and just cut loose round-table style with a bunch of microphones." YES! Yes, yes, yes and three more times yes! Though it might become chaotic with many people, or only two or three people actually getting something in.

As for Emily being, awesome.
    I love your voice, Emily.
    Pah! It's because normally one hears Scott along with Ryms voice. And she's a girl!. . . Okay, I give up, agreed. Your accent is neat Emily.

As for the episode, Rym talking politics, good. Emily getting another "Getting into..." in the Geeknights archive and being very informative, good. Rym and Emily ranting about frowny Scott, great. :D As for the rambling, I agree with Neito that it makes it all better.

Final note: More guest hosts! Rym said that normally guest hosts don't do TotD's, but how many have there been? 2? Emily once before and the food episode, I forgot who from the FRC was the guest victim that time.

Last final note: LESS T IN BONNE NUIT! And I have no idea why that irked me.
  • LESS T IN BONNE NUIT! And I have no idea why that irked me.
    That T was from the next word. ^_~
  • I really liked this episode. It was nice to hear such excitement come from one of the hosts.

Emily, you kind of sound like the "Ask a ninja" guy but in a high pitch! That's not a bad thing. =) I hope you don't despise that guy.

I do have one question.
    Does your company do pre-rendered 3d for games or live 3d? What engine are they created in? I'm asking because my company also makes games and we are trying to move into 3d. I REALLY want to start doing more 3d at work because I've been doing the same thing for way too many projects. I went to school for 3d but I mostly design and generate 2d assets at work.

On another note, I totally agree with you on the fulfillment of seeing a finished animation! I wish i did more 2d animation at work but it usually ends up being only around 4 frames!

Thanks for this episode! I still need to post my Moe Rym&Scott. That's what weekends are for!
  • Rymtan and Moe Scott are in the works.
  • We do live 3D using the Unity engine. It's 3D that runs in a web browser.

And more Moe Scrym PLZ.
  • We are all overlooking something. Why only pictures of Rym and Scott? It seems you've forgotten Emily ^_~
  • Because I am Gomi, international girl of mystery, the masked phantom of geeknights. Do you know what I look like?
  • edited March 2008
    Because I am Gomi, international girl of mystery, the masked phantom of geeknights. Do you know what I look like?
    You don't know how much I have searched for a picture of you. Either I am blind, stupid, both, or there are none.

Edit: Well, honestly not that much. With much duress I am sure I could track one down.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Because I am Gomi, international girl of mystery, the masked phantom of geeknights. Do you know what I look like?
    You don't know how much I have searched for a picture of you. Either I am blind, stupid, both, or there are none.

Edit: Well, honestly not that much. With much duress I am sure I could track one down.
    Eh possibly in one of the group pictures in either Scott or Rym's Flickr. But... why do you want a Rule 63 on Emily? She's already a girl! If you mean just a moe drawing of Emily why not go all the way and pry for an all FRC drawing moe-/chibi-/rule 63-/whateverfied.
  • First of all, there are no girls on the internet. We all know that. Furthermore, I have been through both Flickrs on numerous occasions, and there is nothing labeled with her in it. She may be one of the girls who is just in the photo, without a label however.
  • edited March 2008
    This episode was funny ^^
    You don't know how much I have searched for a picture of you.
    This is starting to get a little creepy.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2008
    In this dream I had (told in this thread) my mind created a Knives Chau Ramona like girl to be Emily.

EDIT: Now that I just finished listening to the episode....

OMG!IMSOHAPPYCUZILEIKANIMATIONANDARTANDSTUFFKYAAAAA!

Yeah. That haphazardly sums it up. It was really good hearing about animation straight from a pros mouth. Plus I really like the Emily episodes. Her voice is just so damn cute!

Question: Is Tisch really tough and hard to get into? It's one of the schools I really want to go too.

Ah! I really like drawing and animating. I could relate to the late night working. Plus the last day rush with friends on projects.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • You don't know how much I have searched for a picture of you.
    This is starting to get a little creepy.
    I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm not a creeper or anything, it's just fun to put a face to the voice.
  • Wow, I was just thinking about suggesting a GeekNights episode about getting into animation, but I wasn't sure what Rym and Scott would be able to add. I'm all for the idea of guests coming on and speaking about other relevant geekeries not usually covered. Awesome show guys.

I'm just about to graduate from a tech school and I'm currently looking at schools so I can go on and get my bachelor's degree. I've invested quite a bit into 3ds Max, so I'm wondering if the applications a school is using should be taken into consideration? I've been told that once you learn and understand one, it's not that difficult to jump into another, but I open up Maya and I'm like, "Ah, I don't know what anything is. :("

Also, do you have any recommendations for books in regards to the theory side of things?
  • Emily needs to be on much more episodes. Seriously. Also, an episode on the attempted murder of Scott would be much appreciated.
  • edited March 2008

Also, do you have any recommendations for books in regards to the theory side of things?
    Buy this book.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • I must agree that Emily should be in more episodes, she brings a certain... I don't know what.
  • Flair that is absent from regular GeekNights episodes?
  • I won a gold medal in animation in high school at a provincial competition. It's something I lost interest in immediately after, stopped drawing, and lost it entirely. Oh well!