This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Team Fortress 2

Comments

• until the core utility has been agreed upon
    St Petersburg Paradox?
  • Personal taste and quality are not related
    What is the definition of quality that does not boil down to "things that people like"?
  • What is the definition of quality that does not boil down to "things that people like"?
    Things experts like? Things experts use? Things the group of people evaluating a thing agree to consider ahead of time?
  • edited June 2011
    What is the definition of quality that does not boil down to "things that people like"?
    Things experts like? Things experts use? Things the group of people evaluating a thing agree to consider ahead of time?
    What's a definition that doesn't rely on an Argument from Authority?
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited June 2011
    Personal taste and quality are not related
    It's all about evaluating objective criteria.

Take software for example. Let's say we have software X and software Y. You like X, I like Y. There is no accounting for taste. You like what you like. However, there is also an objective component here. Software X has lots of security vulnerabilities, is slower, and lacks many features of software Y. You are free to continue liking and preferring software X, but software Y is objectively superior whether you like it or not.

If you want to argue something, argue which criteria you should use when evaluating quality. I might try to argue that book A is better than book B because the paper and ink it was printed with have a stronger smell. The strength of an odor is an objective thing you can measure, but does that have anything to do with the quality of the book? Obviously not. How about the word count of the book? That's also an objective criteria you can measure. But should the quality of a book be judged by its length? That's debatable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • What's a definition that doesn't relay on an Argument from Authority?
    And while we're at it, why is it that so many people who claim to be looking at something objectively to assess it's quality come up with a result that seems to fit in nicely with their opinion, and yet, other people who claim to be assessing it objectively come to an entirely different "Objective result"?

It's something that really shits me - when people carry on about objective assessment of something(anything, really), when the assessment they give as objective is really just their personal opinion tarted up in it's Sunday best.
  • The idea of other people getting items that gave them a competitive advantage in TF2 was and is a major deterrent for me going back to it. If I want to deal with "gearing up" (via timesinks or additional money) I'll resubscribe to an MMO, thank you very much. When I want some fair, quick and fun FPS nowadays, I go for Quakelive. I'm also eyeing up Global Agenda again, as I had a lot of fun playing it last summer.
  • Quality is measured by the axioms that people like.
  • Is a movie a "bad" movie if you enjoyed it?
    It absolutely can be.
  • What's a definition that doesn't rely on an Argument from Authority?
    There aren't any.
  • So then personal taste and quality are related.

Moving on, I find this to be of high quality:

context
  • edited June 2011
    Moving on, I find this to be of high quality:
    As is this -

Aww yeah, heavy Streisand.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Demopan is clearly the peak of evolution.
  • Only fatties enjoy the food they eat.
  • What's a definition that doesn't rely on an Argument from Authority?
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that defining your terms prior to discussion necessitates an exercise of authority. Go to the dictionary to find the definition of a word? The dictionary is an "authority," and you are basing your argument in it. Two people - experts or not - who define a term for the purpose of a discussion? They've created an authority and then base the discussion in it.

It's not a fallacy to use argument from authority when the entire argument is rooted in a given authority. That's what we're goddamn well talking about.

So anyhow, before you talk about whether a thing is "good" or "bad," you have to decide the criteria which will constitute "good" and "bad." And there are rarely widely agreed-upon criteria which constitute "good" or "bad."

/rant
  • The Passion of the Christ made $370 million. Was it a good film? Because a lot of people would say it was....

You can't have both functional solipsism and elitist views on art.
  • The Passion of the Christ made $370 million. Was it a good film? Because a lot of people would say it was....

You can't have both functional solipsism and elitist views on art.
    By some definitions of good, it was a good movie. By other definitions of good, it was not a good movie.
  • edited June 2011
    By some definitions of good, it was a good movie. By other definitions of good, it was not a good movie.
    That's why I prefer to break it down a little, even though that doesn't really change much, it does help a little. For me, at least.

For example, Twilight has great cinematography, and a great musical score. Fucking terrible plot, dialog, and so on, and barely, barely passable acting - though I suppose they were basing it on the book and using actors who were in it for motivations other than making a good movie(For example, Stewart took an attitude of "Well, dollar is a dollar" and Pattinson is not only open about his distaste for the books, but that he did it pretty much entirely for the chance to work with Stewart), and you can only polish a turd so much.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That's why I don't really like numerical reviews. They are quantitative and not qualitative.
  • By some definitions of good, it was a good movie. By other definitions of good, it was not a good movie.
    Well played!

This whole "argument" is mostly pointless. Like a good flame war, this will only devolve into "Well I like red!" "Well I like blue!" "Blue sucks! *insert reason why*" ad infinitum into a spiral of shit.

Everyones subjectivity crawls in when evaluating entertainment. It just happens. It's not something quantifiable, like science, where you can determine one thing is obviously better than the other as in Scotts programming example.
  • And while we're at it, why is it that so many people who claim to be looking at something objectively to assess it's quality come up with a result that seems to fit in nicely with their opinion, and yet, other people who claim to be assessing it objectively come to an entirely different "Objective result"?

It's something that really shits me - when people carry on about objective assessment of something(anything, really), when the assessment they give as objective is really just their personal opinion tarted up in it's Sunday best.
    Except that there are many times when I like crap (Initial D, Angry Birds) or dislike greatness (the game of Go), but nobody pays attention to that.
  • Team Fortress 2 is a fine "game" in the same sense that tag is a "game." It's an enjoyable, mildly competitive pastime involving athletics.

Team Fortress 2 is a mediocre "competition" however.
  • Aw shit. Now I kind of want to play tag.
  • I concur with this assessment based on the stated criteria.
  • You can't have both functional solipsism and elitist views on art.
    Well, actually, if we go with the full extent of solipsism, then all of my views are necessarily elitist - since I'm the only thing that's real, I am elite.
    but nobody pays attention to that.
    I think we've given both you and Rym metric tons of shit for enjoying Initial D for years now. It's not that we're not paying attention; it's that the mound of shit is so tall, there's no point in adding to it. I only have so much shit, y'know.
  • I think we've given both you and Rym metric tons of shit for enjoying Initial D for years now. It's not that we're not paying attention; it's that the mound of shit is so tall, there's no point in adding to it. I only have so much shit, y'know.
    The point is that we admit Initial D is bad despite liking it. Yet, whenever we say, for example, TF2 sucks or D&D; sucks, people argue that we only say that because we happen to also dislike them. If I actually liked and played TF2 I would still admit it sucked, as I do with Angry Birds.
  • edited June 2011
    I think we've given both you and Rym metric tons of shit for enjoying Initial D for years now. It's not that we're not paying attention; it's that the mound of shit is so tall, there's no point in adding to it. I only have so much shit, y'know.
    The point is that we admit Initial D is bad despite liking it. Yet, whenever we say, for example, TF2 sucks or D&D; sucks, people argue that we only say that because we happen to also dislike them. If I actually liked and played TF2 I would still admit it sucked, as I do with Angry Birds.
    Because I don't give a shit about your sacred cows, only my own!

ALSO, Meet the Medic confirms that Meet the Sandvich occurs from the BLU Spy's perspective.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited June 2011
    Except that there are many times when I like crap (Initial D, Angry Birds) or dislike greatness (the game of Go), but nobody pays attention to that.
    I didn't say you, because you're not even close to the worst offender I've seen. I'm speaking in general, and the majority of people who claim objectivity do exactly what I described.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    0.0 That must have been a noob server, because I just went 26 kills, 0 deaths, 3 caps.

I might talk a big game, but I'm not that good. Middling.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • WHY IS HE IN THE FRIDGE?
    MEDICAL SCIENCE OF COURSE!