This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I am behind Obama 110%. I can't wait for him to clinch this primary so the Dems. can start running a general campaign.
    My dad a republican committeeman was none too happy with me ^_^
    You just made my day.
    After the various things he started saying about NAFTA and about how he wanted to change it to be more "fair" he any support I would have given him
    Which part of his stance on NAFTA made you uncomfortable? I'm actually very curious, as you mentioned you are not a US citizen.
    Post edited by konistehrad on
  • I'm supporting McCain.
  • After the various things he started saying about NAFTA and about how he wanted to change it to be more "fair" he any support I would have given him, that said I'm not a US citizen, and Hillary more or less said the same thing. At the end of the day I've honestly started thinking he just has some good handlers who tell him all the "good" things to say.
    Explain? He's only talked of making it so we only make free trade with countries that attempt to hold a similar labor standard.
  • I'm supporting McCain.
    Out out damn spot!
  • Out out damn spot!
    Does that mean "spy"? :?
  • No, I was alluding to Lady Macbeth. Her one blood stain in her gown, to your one political viewing, in our supreme discussion.
  • The American system seems odd to me as you could have a president from a party in the minority.
    You'd be surprised how effective this is in saving tax dollars.
  • Personally I'm wary of the cult of personality, I guess opposed to that of politic, surrounding Obama.

However no social platform would ever convince me to vote for a candidate, no matter how charismatically they sell it. Positive change tends to happen over time, and I don't believe there are any pressing issues of oppression.

I vote based on fiscal policy for the most part, since the government can seriously muck up the works if it chooses to. However at this level there is no candidate that isn't going to spend too much money, or allow it to be spent.

Essentially I'm probably not going to waste my vote on Obama or McCain. I'm going to back a third party, most likely the Libertarian party, on the principal of having a viable third party.
  • edited April 2008
    on the principal of having a viable third party.
    Kang says: Go ahead! Throw your vote away!

If you go to Adams' site, you'll find he has about 500 registered supporters. I think he'll win.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • We're all throwing our vote away.

We just get to choose the direction.
  • edited April 2008
    I prefer Obama over Hillary, but neither is my ideal. I will happily vote for either in the general election, as they are both far better options than a President McCain (even typing it makes my skin crawl a bit).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm supporting McCain.
    I also hope John McCain wins the white house.

For a minute their I though I was the only one supporting John McCain on this message board. I’m glad I was wrong.

• I also hope John McCain wins the white house.

For a minute their I though I was the only one supporting John McCain on this message board. I’m glad I was wrong.
    high five.

Nothing against Obama, I just don't agree with his stances on many issues.
  • We're all throwing our vote away.

We just get to choose the direction.
    How do you figure that?
    I'm curious exactly why you would even considering backing McCain. What stances of his do you agree with?
  • edited April 2008
    I'm curious exactly why you would even considering backing McCain. What stances of his do you agree with?
    -Not leaving Iraq immediately
    -right to bear arms
    -against government healthcare
    -his budget plans

Just general Republican priniciples really, I'm not fan of the Democrats.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited April 2008
    Post edited by N15PCA on
    The fact the want's to stay in Iraq in till we win. He doesn’t want to raise taxes to the heaves to pay for universal health care. He also willing to work with the Dems on a lot of issues in the Senate and Congress. Just look at his track record has a US senator. He’s an honest person who speaks his mind and doesn’t hold anything back.
    Yes, Republicans have been great at controlling spending...
    The fact the want's to stay in Iraq in till we win.
    Define win.
  • -Not leaving Iraq immediately
    -his budget plans
    He doesn’t want to raise taxes
    And where does he wish to get the money for that from then? Ban people from using electricity, gas, oil, water and land?
  • Just general Republican principles really, I'm not fan of the Democrats.
    Um, historically, Republicans have been the biggest spending, least fiscally responsible leaders we've had...
    Win? We can't "win" anything. That the invasion even happened was one of the biggest mistakes in US history, let alone that we're still there. No good can come of continued US intervention. We ruined an otherwise prosperous first-world country and impoverished its people, yet have done almost nothing to actually rebuild it in the aftermath. I sadly believe that it's too late to effect any change for the better.

At best, a UN peacekeeping force, managed largely by neighboring nations, should take over the administration of Iraq's security. The US should of course have to foot the bill for it, though, since the problem is entirely, 100% our fault...
  • The fact the want's to stay in Iraq in till we win.
    I'm the same way we would have won in Vietnam, no doubt. Also, please don't claim to be a foreign policy expert then demonstrate for me why the rest hates the west. I don't really care what the context or intention was there, the US has a lot of damage control to run after the Iraq blunder, and stuff like this is simply going to bury us further.

Might I also take a second to remind you that only one of the candidates was object to this war from the start. You want your health-care money? There it is.
  • edited April 2008
    -Not leaving Iraq immediately
    -his budget plans
    He doesn’t want to raise taxes
    And where does he wish to get the money for that from then? Ban people from using electricity, gas, oil, water and land?

Poll

Have you supported Barack Obama?

Active in organization AND donated money2
    3%
    Active in organization4
    5%
    Donated money12
    16%
    Nothing of note44
    60%
    Supporting an alternative candidate6
    8%
    Just don't care4
    5%

Total Votes:73

Like I said he doesn’t want to raise taxes to high heavens. I didn't say not tax at all.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Ok, that chart on the previous page is a bit deceptive, but I'll be the first to admit that Bush's spending is out of control.
    And where does Obama plan to fund this country? On good will and his amazing public speaking ability? I dislike Democrats cause they like to stagger the tax brackets in such a way to dick over the "rich." I'm not against paying more if I'm making more, but I think everyone should be paying into the government a good bit cause we all benefit from it.
  • Ok, that chart on the previous page is a bit deceptive, but I'll be the first to admit that Bush's spending is out of control.
    How is it deceptive?
  • edited April 2008
    You're getting a lot of people asking what "win" means. I think you should tell us, seeing as how "winning" makes you so hot to trot for McCain.

Oh . . . I just can't help myself. Please keep in mind that I really tried not to say it but . . . notice the scholarly grammar of the McCain supporter. WOOOO-HOOOOO! We gonna win in AAHHH-RAHK, boys! Fire up the monster trucks! YEEEEE-HAW!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I've always found it strange how people don't mind fronting the bill for a war (and risk lives) but find it outrageous to pay for social health care, in which the United States is the only first world western country who doesn't have it (as far as I know).
  • Like I said he doesn’t want to raise taxes to high heavens. I didn't say not tax at all.
    You completely missed my point.
  • I dislike Democrats cause they like to stagger the tax brackets in such a way to dick over the "rich."
    Income tax is the only form of progressive taxation we have. Sales tax, gas tax ... this all hits the "poor" significantly harder. The income tax is supposed to act as a balancing agent in this regard. I highly doubt that W's $100K+ tax break for people making $1M+ has done anything to keep this system working.
  • I dislike Democrats cause they like to stagger the tax brackets in such a way to dick over the "rich."
    Income tax is the only form of progressive taxation we have. Sales tax, gas tax ... this all hits the "poor" significantly harder. The income tax is supposed to act as a balancing agent in this regard. I highly doubt that W's $100K+ tax break for people making $1M+ has done anything to keep this system working.
    I just love how they feel they have to stand up for "the rich", as if "the rich" are so oppressed and don't have anyone to speak for them.