This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

Comments

• edited September 2008
    The government didn't choose a candidate. The candidate "chose" not to run by the means that he did not do his paperwork in time...
    Again: What special circumstances are to consider that should lessen the punishment for the candidates?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The candidate "chose" not to run by the means that he did not do his paperwork in time...
    How about a candidate that chooses to run after the deadline? Since the government doesn't have to re-print ballots for write-in candidates, how would this test pass a strict scrutiny challenge?
  • edited September 2008
    What if you were a student at RIT and you wanted a Pell Grant? Let's imagine that the deadline to apply for a Pell Grant for the fall is July 27, 2008. Let's further imagine that you miss filing by that date. Do you get your Pell Grant?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The candidate "chose" not to run by the means that he did not do his paperwork in time...
    How about a candidate that chooses to run after the deadline?
    Well, you really can't run after the deadline, now can you? That's the point of the deadline.

I don't understand this point of contention. You've never had total freedom in choosing a candidate. I mean, you can't vote for Hillary now, right? There was a process for selecting those candidates for whom you may vote. There needs to be some sort of selection process, or else the whole system would be chaotic.
  • Well, you really can't run after the deadline, now can you? That's the point of the deadline.
    You can run up and until the election unless the government places restrictions. Any restrictions are going to have to pass a strict scrutiny test. I've yet to hear a strong reason why so much advance notice is required for a write-in candidate. If you guys can't come up with a reason, just imagine how much the courts will struggle.
    I mean, you can't vote for Hillary now, right?
    The parties can do whatever they want. They aren't the government. And Hillary could always have run as an independent.
  • edited September 2008
    The parties can do whatever they want. They aren't the government. And Hillary could always have run as an independent.
    But to do so she would have to register and fill out the form before the deadline to get her name on the ballot...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • McCain's solution to the finance crisis: blame Obama.
    Obama is still taking advice from William Daley, who served on the board of Fannie Mae. I like Obama's social policies, but he's shown really poor judgment regarding the economy.
    Obama is still taking advice from William Daley, who served on the board of Fannie Mae. I like Obama's social policies, but he's shown really poor judgment regarding the economy.
    This is particularly crass.
  • Let's see, vote for someone who might be remotely tied to and get some advice from the former Secretary of Commerce the last time the country was in very good shape, even if the person was on the board of Fannie Mae, or vote for the guy who's chief economic adviser is the lady that ran Hewlett Packard into the ground and then left with $42 million in various forms. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
  • There are enough states polling within a margin of error that the Electoral College projections mean exactly shit.
  • He doesn't need no hat!
  • Notice how the only red states remaining are the states that you'd never want to visit?
  • I might want to visit Texas and Arizona maybe once, but AZ just to sing "By the time I get to Arizona"
  • Notice how the only red states remaining are the states that you'd never want to visit?
    Screw you pal.
  • edited September 2008
    Notice how the only red states remaining are the states that you'd never want to visit?
    Tsk tsk! Georgia's ah fahne state!
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • edited September 2008
    I might want to visit Texas and Arizona maybe once, but AZ just to sing "By the time I get to Arizona"
    Sometimes I think it might be nice to have a ranch in Idaho. A person would definitely have a lot of space. Then I remember how crappy it is to be so isolated.

Seriously, most of those states are just there to drive through or fly over on the way to someplace civilized. I mean. is there any reason at all to stop in Mississippi unless you desperately need gas?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
    Meanwhile, Phil Gramm still follows McCain around like a ghost.

Reminder: Phil Gramm was the guy behind the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000. (You may remember it better as the bill containing the "Enron Loophole", which Gramm's wife used to take home over $2,000,000) This act allowed for the completely unregulated and unmonitored trading of collateralized debt obligations, which was described as "the heart of the subprime meltdown" by Michael Greenberger (protip: he was the head of the CFTC's trading and markets division.)

Obama would need to appoint Chaney as his economic adviser for me to think McCain keeps better company.
    Funnily enough, the only place you'd ever want to visit in Texas is Austin (and possibly Houston). Both of which, are quite liberal.
  • Funnily enough, the only place you'd ever want to visit in Texas is Austin (and possibly Houston). Both of which, are quite liberal.
    San Antonio is a fun place to visit, just don't talk to anyone about religion or politics and watch out for snakes.
  • Funnily enough, the only place you'd ever want to visit in Texas is Austin (and possibly Houston). Both of which, are quite liberal.
    San Antonio is a fun place to visit, just don't talk to anyone about religion or politics and watch out for snakes.
    Fort Worth is pretty cool too. Just avoid the hell out of Dallas.
  • Hey, but actually, people aside, the scenery of the Arizona and Utah deserts is breathtaking. The plains and the rocky mountains...there are lots of reasons to go to red states.

You know what they say about New York? "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't wanna live there." That's what I feel about these places. Just passing through is a really cool experience and you aren't affected by conservative policy.
  • You know what they say about New York? "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't wanna live there.
    Now California, on the other hand...
  • You know what they say about New York? "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't wanna live there.
    What part of California? I wouldn't mind San Francisco, but I can't think of a single good reason to live in LA.
    What part of California? I wouldn't mind San Francisco, but I can't think of a single good reason to live in LA.
    I can attest that San Frantastic is a marvelous place to live.

LA gets a worse rap than it deserves.
  • San Diego is an absolutely beatiful place to behold and the weather is almost perfect year-round, and I have to agree about LA.