This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Beatles

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
No single band is more deserving of it's own thread than this one. The Beatles invented genres and influenced every piece of music that came after. When was the last time you listened to Sgt. Pepper? No matter what the answer, it's time to listen to it again.

Comments

• Some bands are one hit wonders.

Some bands have a few hits, and a few bad ones.

The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, these are the rare bands where every single song is a hit.
  • When I was young, I liked Can't Buy Me Love, and when I was in college I liked Norwegian Wood. Now I like I've Just Seen a Face.
  • Help! is a brilliant film and a brilliant album. I tend to like the earlier stuff better. Beatles for Sale is probably my most listened to right now. With the Beatles would be a close second. The White Album is my favorite from the later years.
  • Everything before Rubber Soul was garbage. Everything after and including Rubber Soul is absolutely fantastic.
  • Everything beforeRubber Soulwas garbage. Everything after and includingRubber Soulis absolutely fantastic.
    You got one thing right, Rubber Soul is the win. Do you know the UK and US releases of Rubber Soul were not the same?
  • The UK and US release of many of their albums were not the same.
  • edited May 2008
    You got one thing right, Rubber Soul is the win.
    Before they started doing heavy musical experimentation they just made boring love songs that all sounded the same. Also, favorite Beatles albums are Revolver and The White Album.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I own a couple of original Beatles records my old man had.

They are one of my favorite bands.
  • edited May 2008
    I had a listen to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (album, not song) and it's good but nothing outstanding. This might be like seeing Citizen Kane in the present day though.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • My wife is a huge Beatles fan. I think she has all of their stuff on vinyl in our closet.
  • The music of the Beatles is awesome.
  • edited May 2008
    I had a listen toSgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band(album, not song) and it's good but nothing outstanding. This might be like seeingCitizen Kanein the present day though.
    Read this.
    You have to love A Day In the Life. It was revolutionary.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2008
    Everything beforeRubber Soulwas garbage. Everything after and includingRubber Soulis absolutely fantastic.
    You got one thing right, Rubber Soul is the win. Do you know the UK and US releases of Rubber Soul were not the same?
    The UK and US release of many of their albums were not the same.
    Sgt. Pepper was the first album for The Beatles in which the UK and US releases were the same. Every release after that was the same on both costs, as well. Actually, a lot of bands of that time had different releases in America and Britian; it's because America, you have to pay per song. Britain pays per album, I believe.
    EDIT: Also, I have to say that Rubber Soul is one of the few albums ever where I can honestly say it has no dead spots; every song is teh win.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Rubber Soul is one of the few albums ever where I can honestly say it has no dead spots
    Revolver.
  • Everything beforeRubber Soulwas garbage..
    I don't really know about that. Their first few albums were kind of bubblegum popish but the only serious offender was "Please Please me." The rest varied by songs. By the way, is there anyone on this forum that hates the Beatles? I don't think I've met anyone that listens to music who does.
  • There are a few who aren't super impressed with The Beatles, but I've never heard anyone who outright hates them except for metal heads.
  • There are a few who aren't super impressed with The Beatles, but I've never heard anyone who outright hates them except for metal heads.
    BLACK METAL IS MY LIFE
  • hates them except for metal heads.
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who enjoys or plays music, especially rock genres, owes something to the Beatles. For every modern musical genre you can find a Beatles song that set into motion a new sound. Would metal exist if it weren't for heavy rock songs like Helter Skelter?
  • I hate Across the Universe with a passion, but aside from that, I really like their stuff.
  • edited May 2008
    hates them except for metal heads.
    I'm of the opinion that anyone who enjoys or plays music, especially rock genres, owes something to the Beatles. For every modern musical genre you can find a Beatles song that set into motion a new sound. Would metal exist if it weren't for heavy rock songs like Helter Skelter?
    I'm not saying it as a value judgment or anything. I'm just saying that that generation tends to hate The Beatles.
    Oh, and The Clash, too.
    EDIT: Not generation. I can't really think of the right word right now.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I haven't listened to them in a while. Time to listen to some.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm just saying that that generation tends to hate The Beatles.
    Which metal generation? 80s? 90s? 00s? I have never met a metal head who didn't even like some Beatles, so I'm curious as to what you mean.

Edit:
    Not generation. I can't really think of the right word right now.
    Do you mean like fandom? Either way, elaborate.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I hate Across the Universe with a passion, but aside from that, I really like their stuff.
    The Beatles had nothing to do with Across the Universe.
  • You mean the song, because that's what I'm talking about?
  • You mean the song, because that's what I'm talking about?
    Oh, thought you were talking about the film, sorry.
  • That movie was really good, though.
  • I am a huge George Harrison fan, and I really enjoy their music. Some of it was just decent pop fluff, but some of their music was incredible. Whether you like their music or not, there has to be a certain amount respect for their body of work and that they brought fringe music movements into the mainstream.
  • I enjoy Maxwell's Silver Hammer a great deal, and I have a respect for the rest of their work.
  • I've become a huge classic rock fan this year, mostly because nothing good new has come out. The Beatles are easily at the top of this list. One awesome thing is my AP European History class at school. Without fail, anyone mention The Beatles and we will get off track for 10 minutes over what's the best album. (Which is White Album followed by Abbey Road, and anyone who says the early stuff receives the fury of the class)
  • edited May 2008
    (Which is White Album followed by Abbey Road, and anyone who says the early stuff receives the fury of the class)
    Wrong. It's Sgt. Pepper first, White Album second, and Rubber Soul third. This is the correct ordering based on impact on the music world. The White Album is my favorite, however.
    Post edited by Sail on