This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ska bands

edited May 2008 in Everything Else
Anyone into ska here? I like No Doubt's early stuff because it's ska until the Return of Saturn album.

I like Suburban Legends a lot and I'm just getting into this band Mephiskapheles.

Otherwise I don't have any other favorite ska bands. I just download random compilations of ska music I found online.

Comments

• Aquabats and the Bosstones are two of my favorite bands, but I generally dislike ska bands.
  • Oh yeah! I just got some Aquabats because I was looking for this one song from them I liked. I only know one Bosstones song.
  • Streetlight Manifesto is making the best ska around these days. Check them out.
  • The Cat Empire.
  • I think my most recent purchase in that direction was the new album by an austrian band called Guadalajara, but I can't wait to get my hands on the new CD by The Slackers. I'm also a big fan of Big D and the Kid's Table. I've recently gotten into japanese Ska with two bands aptly name Ore Ska Band and Ska Ska Club. They make some good tunes.
  • edited May 2008
    I used to be into ska way back when with Aquabats, and Bosstones, and Goldfinger. Then for some reason I just kind of fell out of it. But recently I got into Japanese Ska when I heard Yum Yum Orange (it's basically just ska but really happy like it should be), although they're really the only ones I listen to.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • I enjoy ska in limited quantities. Eventually the simple, constant, unvarying trumpet lines gets to me.
  • Desmond Dekker. That's all.
  • Reel Big Fish.
  • Reel Big Fish.
    Whenever I hear this band or ska in general, I'm reminded of the movie Baseketball...
  • Reel Big Fish.
    I liked them for a while but they never really grew on me.
  • I like their song "Scott's a Dork"
  • I like me some Goldfinger. I found out about them from Tony Hawk Pro Skater. The first one.
  • Check out the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra (東京スカパラダイスオーケストラ), pretty damn awesome.
  • Um, I guess some of Des-Row's music could be considered Ska.

Other than that, I really don't like ska music at all. I haven't listened to a whole lot, but what I have heard (sublime, reel big fish, streetlight manifesto, aquabats, etc) hasn't done anything for me, so I'm not going to go looking for other stuff.
  • How is the skanking ability of the forum members?

• Dancing to music is so 1990.
  • You weren't even alive then XD
  • I skank like a goddess.
  • Since my second knee operation I'm scared of getting into the pits. I miss it so much whenever I'm at a concert.
  • Sublime, does punk-ska count?
  • Sublime, does punk-ska count?
    Yep. I only like one or two songs from them though.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm gonna name some bands, and a couple of their essential albums or songs.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    Video Stew - A collection of their music videos, hard to find, but worth it.
    Albums: - Both warrant a listen, oBTain them, if you have to, solid albums, almost every song is great, and none of them bad.
    Question the Answers
    Let's Face It
    Songs:
    Don't Know How to Party
    Where'd You Go
    Old School Off The Bright
    Someday I Suppose

Reel Big Fish
    Albums:
    Turn The Radio Off
    Why Do They Rock So Hard?
    Songs:
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Dateless Loser
    Don't Start A Band
    Take on Me

Less Than Jake - I'd put the first three bands here in my top three, and I list so many LTJ albums, because more than half of each album is really great, but they all have those songs that while its not quite spoiled, it just doesn't seem to fit, with the exception of Hello, Rockview, every song is great on that one.
    Albums:
    Losing Streak
    Hello, Rockview
    Borders and Boundaries
    Anthem

Goldfinger
    Songs:
    Superman
    Mable

The Hippos
    Album:
    Better Watch Your Back

Big D & The Kids Table
    Songs:
    Myself
    Little Bitch
    Post edited by nlatimer on
  • edited June 2008
    Goldfinger
    Songs:
    Superman
    99 Red Balloons
    Reel Big Fish
    Songs:
    Everything Sucks
    Sell Out
    I Want Your Girlfriend to Be My Girlfriend, Too

Take on Me
    You like the right bands, now start liking the right songs
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Anybody listening to the Dance Hall Crashers? I recently picked up one of their albums for about 2€ and found it pretty good.
  • Streetlight Manifesto is making the best ska around these days. Check them out.
    YES.
    Streetlight Manifesto is win.
  • YES.
    No.

Go away Jeremy.
  • YES.
    No.

Go away Jeremy.
    Streetlight Manifesto is a perfectly fine Ska band.
    The Aquabats are nice as well.
  • Streetlight Manifesto is a perfectly fine Ska band.
    They bother me. Their singer, especially when singing fast in songs like Point Counterpoint, makes me cringe. It sounds like kids music, and not cool TMBG kids music either.