This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ska bands

Comments

• Streetlight Manifesto is a perfectly fine Ska band.
    They bother me. Their singer, especially when singing fast in songs like Point Counterpoint, makes me cringe. It sounds like kids music, and not cool TMBG kids music either.
    Actually, the singer is the one thing I dislike about them.
    But I think they're talented musicians.
  • The singer doesn't bother me really. He sings just like the singer in any other early third wave band like Mustard Plug and Operation Ivy. It's just one of those tropes that often comes with the genre, like death grunts in metal.

And Point/Counterpoint is probably my favorite by them, not only for the lyrics but also for the inspired bass solo.
  • I was going to say Reel Big Fish but that was taken

but the trumpet in ska is what really makes it good for me, it has a bouncy happiness to it but still some realism.
  • Reel Big Fish
    Songs:
    Everything Sucks
    Sell Out
    I Want Your Girlfriend to Be My Girlfriend, Too

Take on Me
    You like the right bands, now start liking the right songs
    Did you not notice the albums I named, all three of those are on the same damn album, which I listed. The songs I listed were ones on albums I didn't list, or were covers or such that didn't have an album.
  • No one's mentioned the Specials yet?

How old are you people?
  • No one's mentioned the Specials yet?

How old are you people?
    Know of them but I never listened to them.
  • edited June 2008
    No one's mentioned the Specials yet?

How old are you people?
    Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of 2 tone rep in this thread.

Also, gotta mention The Toasters.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited June 2008
    Been really digging The [English] Beat lately.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Permanent Revolution is a concept album about the rise and fall of Leon Trotsky. Although Catch 22 is definitely not who they used to be, this album is not bad.

• Suburban Rhythm
    Desmond Dekker
    Operation Ivy
    The Toasters
    Bomb The Music Industry! (more post-third wave skacore, but w/e)
    Leningrad
  • edited May 2009
    I went to see Reel Big Fish with Streetlight Manifesto in January and the RBF part of it was one of the most fun concerts I've ever been to. So, I'm almost assuredly seeing them again when they come here in August. As if I needed more reason, they're touring with The English-motherfucking-Beat. So it's just a done deal.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • This reminds me of an incident that happened about two weeks ago. I met this adorable girl in a social setting, absolutely beautiful (short red hair, prefect legs, but I digress) and smart as hell to boot. We got to talking about music, since, although my knowledge of the incredibly obscure tends to fall short everywhere but electronic music, I know tons of bands from enough genres to carry on a lively conversation. The discussion went about as follows:

Me: "So what type of music are you into?"
    Her: "Oh you know, pretty much everything but ska."
    Me: "Wat."
    Her: "Yeah, ska just kinda sucks."
    Me: "Well, there's bad music in every genre, and there's good music too."
    Her: "Ska is pretty much all bad."

At that, I calmly segued into a goodbye and left. I can tolerate music snobbery to a point, but the complete disregard of any one genre is stupidity incarnate. I can't stand it when people do that.
  • edited May 2009
    At that, I calmly segued into a goodbye and left. I can tolerate music snobbery to a point, but the complete disregard of any one genre is stupidity incarnate. I can't stand it when people do that.
    I get that almost every time I mention Hip-Hop to anyone. To make matters worse, that subject is usually broached by me talking about the music that I make. Stop listening to the radio, people!

On the subject of Ska, I like me some Mustard Plug and I love me some Aquabats. Aquabats always have really novel concepts in their songs, and I love how the lead singer in AB often sounds like he's about to crazy.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2009
    That, and ska's awesomeness is inherent. She clearly wasn't as smart as you thought she was.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2009
    I get that almost every time I mention Hip-Hop to anyone.
    I was like that in grade school. In 8th grade, someone handed me a CD-R of Wu-Tang Clan's "Enter the 36 Chambers."

First thought: "This is fucking awesome."
    Second thought: "Wow, there is really no reason to tolerate people who behave like I did."
    That, and ska's awesomeness is inherent. She clearly wasn't as smart as you thought she was.
    I know! And she plays trumpet too. She should know better.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2009
    I know! And she plays trumpet too. She should know better.
    What!? What the fuck is wrong with her? Most of people's problems with ska stem from disliking the horns anyway, but obviously this wouldn't be the problem for her.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2009
    What!? What the fuck is wrong with her? Most of people's problems with ska stem from disliking the horns anyway, but obviously this wouldn't be the problem for her.
    I don't know. Perhaps it was just too fun for her heartless ass.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Aquabats always have really novel concepts in their songs, and I love how the lead singer in AB often sounds like he's about to crazy.
    The album Charge!! is one of my favorite things ever.
  • edited May 2009
    You people still listen to ska? She's a smart girl, WindUpBird.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • You people still listen to ska?
    Get hip.
  • edited May 2009
    You people still listen to ska?
    Get hip.Says the guy who created a thread about goddamned Shoegazing.

Nah, scratch that, it was Gimmel. Still, you were the only other person who didn't make lame shoe jokes.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Still, you were the only other person who didn't make lame shoe jokes.
    Luckily, that thread quickly descended into discussion of heavy metal. No such digression in the ska thread. Interpret that how you will.
  • edited May 2009
    Luckily, that thread quickly ascended like a busied Valkyrie into discussion of heavy metal. No such digression in the ska thread. Interpret that how you will.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2009
    For WindUpBirds encounter, let's go with the ironic ska songs:

Also, how the hell have the Mad Caddies not been mentioned yet.

Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • The Arrogant Sons of Bitches is one of my new favorites. Some members of this band eventually became Bomb the Music Industry!.

• Sail you win with The Arrogant Sons of Bitches, I think I stumbled on them when podsafe music was all the rage. 'So Lets Go Nowhere' is an awesome song, and just full of that energy that makes this genre one of distinction. Seriously whats up with that video though?

I also want to throw out a mention to Starpool, who I found out about at about the same time. 'It Alright' is the song you need to listen to.
  • edited October 2009
    Seriously whats up with that video though?
    That video is awesome.

It's also worth mentioning that that album is legally free-as-in-beer to download.

It's probably worth mentioning how great the ska community is. I've become one of those people who goes to all the ska shows. It doesn't even matter what band is playing, because the ticket price is never a gamble. It's always a good time. It's also great because you see the same people all the time and start to make connections. Ska is basically the most fun and positive type of music ever.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ska-dump.

• Ska is basically the most fun and positive type of music ever.
    So true. I dug myself out of 3 months of depression with nothing but some excellent Ska.
  • So what do you do when you live somewhere that does haven't awesome ska shows anymore?